The Pegasus returned this AM with 7 bluefin 1 at (((340lbs)))6 at 120-140 lbs.on their 1.5 day trip.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Have you tried any other processor?

Their finished product is fine... all 23% of it.

My yields using fishermen's:

1 long range trip, can't calculate or even estimate yield, smoked fish not edible on its own, tuna jerky not edible period. Couldn't give that stuff away.

1 limit of local YFT (10 fish all 15-20lbs) got back 43lbs fillets... asked for sushi cut maybe that was the problem?

1 88lb bluefin (I shot in early 2016, so at the time a definite "catch of a lifetime") got 23lbs of meat off it, paid extra for the collars which they threw away (but the fast-talking carney looking huckster guy) told me I could come tomorrow and they'd give me "someone else's" collars when they get a similar sized fish... uh...ok.... I lived out of town so I got my money back. Almost forgot we gave them a 22lb yt the same day, got 4.3 pounds off that one.

Where does it all go?

Maybe things have changed since 2016 maybe not but I sure wouldn't pay to find out.

I'll tell you what hasn't changed and it's Sportsmen's (Mario's.) Worst I can say about them is they're no good about answering their phone. Otherwise, they've gone above and beyond for me in my 3 experiences there since ditching Fis***man's. To name a few: double checking each sealed back before putting in my cooler (with free shaved ice, as much as you need) and re-sealing any that looked like questionable seals, saving collars off a cow BFT when I stupidly forgot to ask for them because "we thought you might want them," and most recently, two guys waiting an extra hour past when they were supposed to leave work so we could drop off a large one. It was processed and ready in less than an hour. All for cheaper than Fishermen's. And every time I get my fish back from them I think "damn that's a lot of meat" instead of "where's the rest of it?"
When I had sportsmen’s do my
YFT, when I thawed it before cooking it it was all soft a crappy ,

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
They were probably busy and let it sit for days before filleting. They need to hire more staff. I went on a 2 day on the Aztec last year. The previous trip was a 3 day. Most of the people on that trip sent their fish to sportsmens. When we got back from our trip over half of the previous trips fish were still waiting in ice bins to be filleted. Sent mine to 5 star when I saw that.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
They were probably busy and let it sit for days before filleting. They need to hire more staff. I went on a 2 day on the Aztec last year. The previous trip was a 3 day. Most of the people on that trip sent their fish to sportsmens. When we got back from our trip over half of the previous trips fish were still waiting in ice bins to be filleted. Sent mine to 5 star when I saw that.
We waited for it , but when they met us to pick them up, they put our fish in metal bens , with no ice, fishermen’s,
Took my fish Right of the boat and into slush bens, big difference,
My friend used 5 star before, and he was real happy with his fish, and service to.

Reactions: makairaa

bassnglass

Mar 20, 2005
Alpine
Name
Ken Schwenck
Boat
19 Fiberform W/Fly bridge "Miss Behavior"
I’ve had 6 Bluefin processed by 5 Star in the last month. Nothing but good to say. They pick up fish at the landing. Weigh our gilled and gutted fish. Pick up the next day about 1 pm.

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Maybe that's the difference. I've always delivered them a fresh fish and had it back within an hour and on ice again.

I would be aware if they have some major flaws in how they pick up fish from the dock or how cold their freezer is or whatever caused your mushiness (assuming it wasn't just the boat), and sounds like they might.

I have never tried 5star but only heard good things. I guess since my fish is processed quick and fresh I can stick with Sportsmen's since it is cheaper and I get my already good quality fish back in equally good quality and a good yield. Maybe coming off the dock 5 star is the call

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
We waited for it , but when they met us to pick them up, they put our fish in metal bens , with no ice, fishermen’s,
Took my fish Right of the boat and into slush bens, big difference,
My friend used 5 star before, and he was real happy with his fish, and service to.
I have used fishermans a couple of times because they have an iced after hours dropoff bin if you call ahead. Never had a problem with the fish I got back. I started using 5 star when Fishermans tried to run them out of business by illegally banning them from the docks. 5 star has different owners now so take your pick. I don't think quality wise you can go wrong with either.

Reactions: nicodemus

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Anyone know what the best bet for processing from a trip getting in at around 6-7pm outa Seaforth? I have had fish processed now a few times by Fishermans and I will say the best quality I got was when I handed fish off to them early am with them dockside from Fishermans Landing from a 2.5 day at 6am. They then turned it around at 11am. I got 70% yield back and felt not asking them to freeze it (I took it all fresh) made a big difference as well. I’d use them again but coming in from 6-8pm and having my fish sit overnight in anything less than a frozen saltwater bath and not processed first thing is worrisome. Thanks for any insight or help guys!

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
I wonder what they would charge for processing that size fish! How many Lbs. would one expect back? (what is the % of yield?) 70%, 50%?
35 to 40%

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
This past week when I got off the Aztec(Sunday) , 5 star was there , left it with them and they called me at 830am on Monday Morning ...
88B3913D-A84A-42C2-9BD3-F78A50B4E381.jpeg