The one thing you forgot to bring?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by harddrive, Mar 22, 2017.

1. shajcl

shajcl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    JL
    Boat:
    n/a

I am glad I missed fishing with you that year!

Steve K likes this.
  2. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"

3. TanstaaflSD

TanstaaflSD Member

Name:
    Tanstaafl
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hi!.. I grew-up in Mattituck and caught Stripers in the creeks and the Sound. But, you got to get out here (San Diego) and hop on a Long Range boat -- like a National Geographic show, but with fishing poles, good people and good food!

Last trip....forgot some fancy sunscreen shirts.....discovered after underway.. but regular shirts worked OK.

4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Forgot the car?

5. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Two near misses. Half way to the airport...shit...reels. Hauled ass home and retrieved the reel bag. Last year, almost my passport, wife reminded me on the way to the car to drive to the airport.
    Am I the only one that has nightmares in the months leading up to a trip, that once on the boat, I am unable to locate my rods in the middle of a hot bite?

6. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    How do you forget your car? Now I have lost my car in a large parking lot and had to walk around for a bit to figure out where I parked it. But forgetting it?

I am not saying my system is perfect and I have forgotten Towels, tooth paste, etc. Yes I have a list.

Here is what I attempt to do. As soon as I return and everything is clean. I start packing for the next trip. Since I do go more than once a year it helps. I do need to set my reels up until closer to departure but they are in my reel bag. I go thru my tackle, reload hooks, jigs, etc. Change trays if its a cow trip vs. a shorter one. And I make a list of thing to get to replace. Then go shopping.

I have a bag with my boots, fighting belt, sandals, flip flops, etc.

As to my clothes, etc. I pack the clean fishing stuff in a tub, (no place to store a full duffel bag). Replace anything I have thrown away. In it is fishing clothes, socks, towels, etc. Then when I go to pack the duffel all the essentials are there. If I did forget something previously, I make sure it is in the box. I have a separate shaving kit for travel, with that stuff and just throw it in, plus the soap and shampoo.

I have a back pack, I take only for fishing. I put my chargers, camera, passport, cash, medications in it. Basically most of the stuff is left in there all the time. Yes, I have duplicates. I also put a book or two in there, plus spare glasses. I use an old pair of glasses for fishing in fear of losing them over board. The back pack has a nice clip for my car keys, I put the keys and my wallet in the back pack once on the boat. I go through it a few weeks before leaving.

As I am getting ready to leave, I pile all the bags, and stuff in a corner so when I load up, it's all there and I can see that it all gets packed in the car. I also put the booze, gadorade, etc in the same pile.

Now I know I'll forget something again, but I am trying not to tax my memory.

Now how do I get to the landing?

7. matrixx611

matrixx611 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
    I forgot my jacket twice, and had to buy one at the landing. Dont forget a towel, lots of socks (hate to have wet socks) advil, chapstick, sunblock, soap, extension cord ( i watch movies from my phone in my bunk), antibacteria spray, and glue

8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
  9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
  10. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    More important at least in my case is what items have you forgot on the boat when you got off....LOL

harddrive, $norkle and Bill W like this.
  11. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Or the message you intended to post?---lol

boswell likes this.
  12. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    I have always forgotten minor small stuff but 3 or 4 times I have left a rod on the boat after the trip (got all of them back except one ) So now I have long checklists when packing and when coming back.

Here is a misc checklist of Items for my last long trip (my tackle checklist is another story)
    Maybe some things on here that you may or may not need:

Other stuff

1-Don’t forget your passport!

2-Duffle bags for clothes

3- 2 Garbage bags for dirty laundry

4-Fishing boots, flip flops (2 )

5-Sunglasses (2 pairs)

6-Toiletries – toothpaste, shampoo,shave, bath towels

7-Sunscreen (35-50pf)

8-Hats (2)

9-Deck items- Pliers, line cutters , braid cutters, split ring pliers, crimpers/lighter

10-Fishing gloves/finger tape

11-Rod belts /harnesses/spin harness

12-Phone and chargers

13-Go pro ,charger and go pro accesories

14-Laptop ,charger ,case

15-Deck chair

16-Binos and AA batteries(16)

17-Money/checks

18-Rockstar ( 2 case)

19- Beer (12 pack)

20-Positive approach - Learn, Listen/ teach

21-Crew gifts/energy drinks

22-Rod holder for upper deck

23- UV FLASHLIGHTS (3) AAA BATTERIES(12)

24- 1 gallon/quart zip locks

25- small cooler

26- boombox

27- First aid, Nu Skin, bandages, meds,antibiotics

28-drag scale

29-fish sizing tape

30-notebook and pens

CLOTHES

1-Socks (12)

2-tshirts- (20 )

3-long sleeve shirts (4 )

4-fishing shorts (10)

5-jeans (2)

6-sweatshirts/jacket(2)

7-rain gear (1)

8-Underwear (16)

9-Face wrap (1)

13. fighingrjo

fighingrjo paid my taxes

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    Headed out on a 7 day several years ago, wasn't sure of the destination, so had probably 12 rods to set up and all the terminal tackle to cover everything from 20 lb bass, surface iron, yoyo, multiple live bait, 100 lb trolling etc. Got to the docks a little early, got on board, met many of the fine anglers i was to share the rail with for the next week, got settled in to my cabin, and decided to start putting the gear together only to realize that i had left the reel bag on my front door step. Fortunately, i had about an hour before the boat was to depart, and only lived about 20 mins away (30 is probably what the map apps would say today). got home, and sitting there like a prize was a large black reel bag just patiently waiting for me. got back with 5 mins to spare.

harddrive likes this.
  14. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    20 minutes from the dock. Dang! You could drag your favorite couch down to the boat last minute.

On my last trip we had to turn around for an angler to get his wind on leaders. Had thought someone else had put them in his gear when he unloaded the car. Luckily we had just left the dock so it was not a big deal.

15. fullfrzr

fullfrzr Member

Name:
    Ray Salvador
    My buddy's wife was going on one of my charters. She is a teacher and was going to sneak out early from school and meet us at the boat. Her husband had to work so I was going to take all her gear down early in my truck. My buddy drops off her stuff the night before and I lock it up in the office. Since it is my charter, I'm driving a couple of folks and their gear down with me. They all meet at my shop, load up and off to Diego we go. Just past Oceanside I realize my buddy's wife's gear is still safely locked in my office...had to have her paged over the loudspeaker at school and tell her to get her gear from my office. Yeah, I'm the guy in charge.

Ol'DirtyBastard and RichG like this.
  16. dinko

dinko Member

Name:
    danny
    Boat:
    excel
    john,, going to miss your reports rom our annual 10 day on the big x this year.. good luck to u and ed on your trip.. hope to see you both on the the phenix rods 10 day in 2018. \

17. pounder224

pounder224 Every alley needs a long, tall Sally

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    A work in progress...
    I forgot my reels on a 7 day on the AA a couple years ago. I took my reel bag out of the van the night before and neglected to put it back in. Didn't give it a another thought until I was in the parking lot at the landing. The second I opened the back door I knew I had screwed up. I live about 100 miles away so I couldn't do a quick turn around and grab them. Between my fellow fishermen and Ray Lopez I was well taken care of. I can honestly say not having my reels did not have a negative effect on my trip at all. I was very well taken care of.

18. tunaman100

tunaman100 Newbie

Forgot my Toiletries at home leaving on a 5 day trip on the AA, walked across the street to the liquor store and thank god they had at least tooth paste/ toothbrush and deodorant.

19. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    will never go without a cheap pair of flip flops to wear IN the shower...last 3.5 day I was at the dermatologist 4 days after the trip asking WTF happened to my feet..fungal infection someone who showered before me left for my enjoyment...took about a month to get rid of that crud.

20. hot tuna

hot tuna Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    clawfoot tub
    A gallon of olive oil and the vibrator...