Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
mmmm. I only use Owner ringed hooks... never had that happen to me.. Dam girl you just pull to dam hard.... relax a bit... sorry to hear that. Now I will always have that in the back of my head... will I land the next giant on a Owner ringed hook? Not a good thing for Owner. I would e-mail them that picture or send it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
There is no doubt that this is simply a bad braize..

I've fished hundreds of ringed super mutus, I've never had a ring fail... I'm sure Donna pulls 1/4 as hard as some of the guys I fish with.. and they have not seen this either..

Most of the hook failures of Super Mutus are when guys re-use them after catching one or more fish.. The Crews feel that when the remove the hooks with their Dikes, they may damage the hooks.. The crew of the RP does not want guys re-using a hooks for that reason.. (A long range crewman should know what he is saying.. )..

Tight lines,

Jeff

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    No issues with the larger size mustads for me, but I start at 10/0 size...

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The crew of the RP does not want guys re-using a hooks for that reason.. (A long range crewman should know what he is saying.. )..

Tight lines,

Jeff

Never heard that one Jeff... Mind if I file it with my important notebook? I have bananas in my notebook too....:D

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Bad, straightened and broken hook threads are my second favorite type threads. Not as much fun as "what footwear to buy" but close.

So here is a Jobu hook that blew up on a Bigeye tuna.

Like the poster above me stated they all fail!

And to the poster on the Excel right now who straightened out a "Demon" been there done that as well.

If you aint broke a hook you just aint fishing hard enuf!

Attachments

• jobu brokr.jpg
      jobu brokr.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 103
    Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    we have talked about this before,all hooks will fail. you have to pull o them and try to bend them before you fish them. use your gloves and pliers to really pull on them.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    The hook was used to troll a Ballyhoo. The wire is used to secure the bait to the hook so that when its trolled, the bait will not tear or spin.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Jeez Donna!

I've pulled pretty hard in some big fish and never had an Owner fail on me. I've pulled too many hooks, of various brands. But I haven't broken them...

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Donna, that sucks! If your rigging has been successful for years, no reason to change due to one hook failure. Throw away the remaining hooks from that batch and move forward.

FWIW, I prefer ringed hooks for fly lining sardines. Better bait presentation and stronger connection due to uniformity of the ring compared to a hook ring. Ringedhooks.com does a great job putting appropriate diameter wire and high-quality brazing for large fish applications. I've never had one of their rings open...knock on wood!

If it makes you feel any better, I broke a Mustad 39943bln 7/0 hook on a big fish in June. It just snapped in the middle of the circle... However, I will continue to use them unless it becomes a common occurrence.

You will land it next time!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Ringed? Or not?

Good question.

This is the first time I've heard of the braze failing, but clearly it does happen. And there is more for the sardine to drag around.

I usually use ringed hooks, esp when big fish are around. The reason is that a lot stress and turning takes place where the leader meets the hook. A metal ring can take that stress better than mono/floro. Yes, the mono/floro is still subject to stress at the point where it is tied to the ring, but ring/hook eye intersection absorbs some of it. I've also left a small loop in a uni knot as shown to allow the hook to swing while being pulled by the bait, and it works for that purpose, but not for relieving stress at the leader/hook eye intersection. A personal choice IMHO.

BTW, after looking at the picture, the silver lining is that you can take a lot of confidence in your knot tying ability!

Reactions: reellady
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Once the three turn uni is loosely tied, take a pair of pliers to the tag end with one hand and with the other hand on the main line pull back with both. Barrel up the knot without going to the hook eye.

Bill, here's an elephant in the room. Usually, when crimping, some sort of chafe protection is used. Clear vinyl tubing or maybe a spring. The effect of a loop knot looks similar. Ever had the line chafe through, or does the knot cinch down when you hook up?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Nice knot... well tied.

I have never seen a ring straightened like that, I wonder how many other rings have failed but the ring was not retained so it was blamed on something else?

If the ring failed, you would reel in a still-tied knot.

The worst is reeling in a squiggle of line at the end.

Operator error is tougher to swallow than equipment malfunction.

Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Also, I only use ringed hooks up to 80#. For 100# plus, I crimp, so no real need for a ring.

Now that I have seen a ring fail, this reinforces my decision.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I'm looking at Donna's picture, and I just realized that I can't identify the knot. At first I thought it was a San Diego Jam, but it isn't. What is it? Of course in this discussion, the knot isn't the issue, and I am not out to hijack the thread. But my curiosity has been piqued at this point.

I agree with those who say that in this instance, the cause of the failure was most likely a poor braze, along with a ring of insufficient strength. Pretty damned amazing.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Bill, here's an elephant in the room. Usually, when crimping, some sort of chafe protection is used. Clear vinyl tubing or maybe a spring. The effect of a loop knot looks similar. Ever had the line chafe through, or does the knot cinch down when you hook up?

The knot cinchs down...I have never had a chew off using the 3 turn uni without a ring.....maybe Bill has.....

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I'm looking at Donna's picture, and I just realized that I can't identify the knot. At first I thought it was a San Diego Jam, but it isn't. What is it? Of course in this discussion, the knot isn't the issue, and I am not out to hijack the thread. But my curiosity has been piqued at this point.

I agree with those who say that in this instance, the cause of the failure was most likely a poor braze, along with a ring of insufficient strength. Pretty damned amazing.

looks like a reverse Trilene

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The knot cinchs down...I have never had a chew off using the 3 turn uni without a ring.....maybe Bill has.....

Never been chewed off, never been spooled, not even close. Lucky me... Lost a really big one on a VMC 7262 tuna tamer 6/0 that bent out the hook. Changed to the VMC Dynamic and no problems.

Can not remember when the hook did not find the corner of the mouth. Circle hooks, I don't need no steenking circle hooks.

Reactions: wes cerny
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One

Great question. If you are crimping why use a ringed hook? Just make the loop using the chafe gear (spring, tubing).

The chafe gear will make a nice loop.

But,,, its not so perfect.

I have experienced and seen chafe gear cause a failure. If you dont have the chafe gear tight to the crimp, when the mono/fluoro elongates (it all does) the chafe gear will slide at a different rate then the leader (mono/fluoro, spring). The hook will slide up between the chafe gear and the crimp, creating an unequal stress point and the failure will be quick.

If you look at the original picture, the knot is tied perfect. Look at the leader on the bottom of the ring. Its getting flat. Elongating. This is unavoidable. Its not bad but it cant be eliminated using the correct leader at the correct drag setting.

There is no perfect mouse trap. However in another thread asking why 130# leader? If this was 80 or maybe even 100 the leader would have elongated and broke before the ring did. Bigger diameter leader elongates less, putting less stress on terminal connections. The leader fails before the ring, crimp will.

One last point. These loops are not brazed. They are welded. Some type of spot or reverse polarity TIG process. I dont think the weld failed here either. The metal failed. Why? Not a metallurgist so I cant answer that. Probably some heat differential in the manufacturing process.

Just use Mustad hooks - they just fail outright. Makes doubt a great deal easier to handle.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster

Ends up a knot to the hook eye. Small fish when grinding in will slip it. It all comes back to where the hook places and that has to do how you set the hook. The big fish guys way back used to fish with a perfection loop to the hook, before ringed hooks. Not a strong knot but it got bit better. This sport is dynamic with many ways to skin a cat. As far as sardine fishing i do not worry about being chewed off, big bait fishing I do. Seems the big hook does not find the sweet spot and the fish chews on the line.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0