Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I know some people are using the 3 turn uni to present a lighter, more stealthy bait. Couldn't say that it is any stronger than a welded ring, this can't be a common occurrence can it?
I am thinking a defective weld. But most hooks, like the one I pictured are not welded. The hook eye is not the weak link...

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
A nice one
Wont be buying Mustad 4x 6/0 anytime soon they bend like butter. They need to remove the word demon at the very least. I will post a photo when I return, the wifi on this Pelagic trip wont let me transmit the photo. Straightened out like a pencil on a 400lb shark when you exceed 35lbs at strike and pull like hell. Paper clip hooks that don't hold up I hope Mustad is listening. Maybe a little egg on their face when they see what I did to one of their ringed demons.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnTFT

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Not to defend Owner, but wow. I wonder if it was just a defective one. I guess all hooks can fail. I have seen some go straight. I'd send that to Owner and explain to them what happened. They will probably say noting but they should know since we do use a lot of there hooks or take it to the boot at the Fred Hall Show, if you go. Sorry you lost a nice fish. There is always another out there.

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
the brazing on the ring failed?
Actually, the ring looks like it failed just to the right of the braze joint. Probable cause, to much heat in the weld leaving the metal brittle on both sides of the union. Good chance the remaining hooks of that pack are compromised as well.

Reactions: wils

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Wont be buying Mustad 4x 6/0 anytime soon they bend like butter. They need to remove the word demon at the very least. I will post a photo when I return, the wifi on this Pelagic trip wont let me transmit the photo. Straightened out like a pencil on a 400lb shark when you exceed 35lbs at strike and pull like hell. Paper clip hooks that don't hold up I hope Mustad is listening. Maybe a little egg on their face when they see what I did to one of their ringed demons.
Mustads are made in China these days....could be the problem.

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
mmmm. I only use Owner ringed hooks... never had that happen to me.. Dam girl you just pull to dam hard.... relax a bit... sorry to hear that. Now I will always have that in the back of my head... will I land the next giant on a Owner ringed hook? Not a good thing for Owner. I would e-mail them that picture or send it in.

Last edited:

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
There is no doubt that this is simply a bad braize..

I've fished hundreds of ringed super mutus, I've never had a ring fail... I'm sure Donna pulls 1/4 as hard as some of the guys I fish with.. and they have not seen this either..

Most of the hook failures of Super Mutus are when guys re-use them after catching one or more fish.. The Crews feel that when the remove the hooks with their Dikes, they may damage the hooks.. The crew of the RP does not want guys re-using a hooks for that reason.. (A long range crewman should know what he is saying.. )..

Tight lines,

Jeff

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
No issues with the larger size mustads for me, but I start at 10/0 size...

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
The crew of the RP does not want guys re-using a hooks for that reason.. (A long range crewman should know what he is saying.. )..

Tight lines,

Jeff
Never heard that one Jeff... Mind if I file it with my important notebook? I have bananas in my notebook too....:D

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Bad, straightened and broken hook threads are my second favorite type threads. Not as much fun as "what footwear to buy" but close.

So here is a Jobu hook that blew up on a Bigeye tuna.

Like the poster above me stated they all fail!

And to the poster on the Excel right now who straightened out a "Demon" been there done that as well.

If you aint broke a hook you just aint fishing hard enuf!

Attachments

spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
we have talked about this before,all hooks will fail. you have to pull o them and try to bend them before you fish them. use your gloves and pliers to really pull on them.

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
The hook was used to troll a Ballyhoo. The wire is used to secure the bait to the hook so that when its trolled, the bait will not tear or spin.

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Jeez Donna!

I've pulled pretty hard in some big fish and never had an Owner fail on me. I've pulled too many hooks, of various brands. But I haven't broken them...

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Donna, that sucks! If your rigging has been successful for years, no reason to change due to one hook failure. Throw away the remaining hooks from that batch and move forward.

FWIW, I prefer ringed hooks for fly lining sardines. Better bait presentation and stronger connection due to uniformity of the ring compared to a hook ring. Ringedhooks.com does a great job putting appropriate diameter wire and high-quality brazing for large fish applications. I've never had one of their rings open...knock on wood!

If it makes you feel any better, I broke a Mustad 39943bln 7/0 hook on a big fish in June. It just snapped in the middle of the circle... However, I will continue to use them unless it becomes a common occurrence.

You will land it next time!

- Jeff Burroughs

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Ringed? Or not?
Good question.

This is the first time I've heard of the braze failing, but clearly it does happen. And there is more for the sardine to drag around.

I usually use ringed hooks, esp when big fish are around. The reason is that a lot stress and turning takes place where the leader meets the hook. A metal ring can take that stress better than mono/floro. Yes, the mono/floro is still subject to stress at the point where it is tied to the ring, but ring/hook eye intersection absorbs some of it. I've also left a small loop in a uni knot as shown to allow the hook to swing while being pulled by the bait, and it works for that purpose, but not for relieving stress at the leader/hook eye intersection. A personal choice IMHO.

BTW, after looking at the picture, the silver lining is that you can take a lot of confidence in your knot tying ability!

Reactions: reellady