desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Can someone give me an idea on what could have caused the following:

I went mooching with Randy's out of Monterey. The winds and current were pretty strong. Choppy weather and salmon was nowhere to be found. Finally around 11am I land one salmon at 18lbs.

I was fishing on the stern at 65ft depth (important). Due to wind/current everyone's line were on the sharp angle running towards the BACK and BEHIND of the boat. All of a sudden my rod bents down and the reel starts screaming. My line starts going toward the BOW and I followed it. I finally got at the BOW and the line kept going and going... so I thought to myself "great, I caught the bottom somehow". I tightened the drag and after another 10 sec the line breaks at the hook. Told skipper what happened and he told me we were at 180FT of water! So what the **** was it? a Shark? Doubt it was a seal since we have not seen one all day. I feel like a moron now for tightening the drag .... :(

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
NEMO

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Often caught mooching - Egocentric Curmudgeon

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
catching the bottom while boat is drifting will not cause the reel to "scream" as you stated. sorry to say your trophy wsb got away!

Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
catching the bottom while boat is drifting will not cause the reel to "scream" as you stated. sorry to say your trophy wsb got away!

Well *&$#! Now I am seriously depressed... I caught bottom before and this felt similar.... the skipper was only 5 ft away behind me... all I had to do was turn around and ask how deep we were

Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
Crab Pot. Or a big ass WSB.:D

Thought about the Crab Pot but it does not make sense since everyone's lines were running towards the end of the boat and mine changed direction and took off for the bow. I'll choke this one up to my inexperience ... If it was a large WSB, do you think I could have landed it with 25# mono?

Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
Absolutely. I was kidding about the crab pot. Never had one of those scream line off unless I was trolling. Lots of guys prefer heavy line for sea bass. I personally fish 20-25# floro. Yes you will lose more fish with the lighter line but I find you get way more opportunities. As long as your drag is set properly and you dont thumb the spool you can get en no problem on light line. They give one good first run then maybe a second. Usually they give up boat side, but not always. If they are bitting full speed step up to 50#, in a pick bite I prefer light line. We just started getting a few in the bay and with all the seiners working the squid down that way I have no doubt there are some WSB in the mix. I have been fishing up north as I run out of Moss. I also fish a private boat and have the ability to chase fish if need be. Only had to once on 12# fishing a grub for halibut and got bit by a 43#. 15# minutes later she was on ice. I however do not recommend this method.

Upvote 0

bigFISHINyak

Almost A Member
Aug 9, 2009
Ballard/Los Olivos, CA
Name
Justin
Boat
eventually.......
Most likely a tanker WSB. Probably running with a school and they got spooked and took off. Even if it was a tanker WSB you should have still been able to battle it a little bit prior to breaking off. It isn't all about the line for future reference. It is all about where the fish is hooked and how much pressure you are applying to the fish. If you are patient with the fish and it is hooked in the side of the mouth correctly then you can catch a tanker WSB on 25 # mono. If the fish does one change of direction in the opposite direction of the hooked side, then it could easily shred that line quickly. Also, make sure your knots at the hook are tight with no line chaffing. That is the first point of failure......besides user error of course. :)

Upvote 0

kwonsoo

Almost A Member
Jun 18, 2008
San Jose, CA USA
Name
Jack
Boat
20' SeaCraft Master Angler
I would say WSB and never screw with the drag. Preset your drag before dropping your line over the rail. Use the drag to your advantage. That's what it's for.

Reactions: irukandji
Upvote 0

M.Bay T-Man

Jun 15, 2009
Monterey, Ca.
Name
Adam
Boat
in search of the deal
2 years ago I had my Texan brother in law on the boat fishing WSB & halibut. He hooked a WSB with a little halibut rig on the bottom with the small treble & slider. Took 45 minutes before we even saw the fish. I started to talk all kinds of $h1t but bit my tongue the best I could. Thank god I did. When the fish came up from the bottom I could tell something wasn't right. The fish got foul hooked under the pectoral with the treble, he pulled that damn 5 foot fish in side ways for almost a hour, as soon as I had the gaff in it the hook fell out. Nice 60lber on 20lb with a little avet sx.

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

desmonic

Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
To be honest, I'll tell you.."What caused the following"....the fish was taking line, you got NERVOUS!!!...pulled the Classic ROOKIE MISTAKE!!!....& tightened the drag!!!...

You get up early in the morning spend an HOUR +++ to drive from Sunnyvale to Monterey, hop on the partyboat and SPEND MORE TIME!!!....Finally at 11:00am land a salmon, so now after being up since the alarm clock went off at 3:00am you have spent 8++ HOURS into this fishing trip, you have a nice fish "TAKING DRAG"!!!..Soooooooo, instead of taking your TIME & Enjoying fighting the fish!!!....you get nervous & button down the drag!!!....

You reel has 300+++ yards of line, did you really think the fish was going to spool you???!!!....did I mention???!!!..."ROOKIE"!!!...Alex

Alex, you are absolutely correct. So many mistakes and not thinking clearly and the result is obvious... I had plenty of line and time and I fucked up... sigh...

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
It's ok Dan, I did it too! But the next one was a keeper! Did I say TI? Yeah I did! Just go hit the pier over there and you'll get another shot at one!

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Probably a feesh if mid column.

Bigger than average. If it was slowly moving off might've been big enough to not know it was hooked. Threshers get BIG.

WTG farming it. LOL.

been there, done that :D

O what might have been....

ps looked it up, they get to over 1000lbs which would be one hell of a fish and fight on any tackle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
thresher......
but as mentioned above - never touch your drag in the first couple of runs of any fish. If it wasn't set correctly to begin with, tightening it while the fish is running is....well, you know what it is - disheartening. We've all done it. Having a deckhand double-check your drag setting is good, too.

Upvote 0