Jaact

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2014
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Yes
I love fishing the La Jolla area. Today was great with overcast skies and a HUGE tidal swing of 7 feet from 0900-1600 thanks to the big moon. I have not posted much this El Nino summer but had some great days of wide open 25-30lb YFT and also a double wahoo strike one month ago today where both were landed just west of the north Coronado island http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/double-hoos-near-the-coronados-9-28-15.604291/ If there is a better wahoo video, please share.

Dana landing had only a handful of trucks/trailers when we launched at 0830 this weekday warrior Wednesday morning. Good for us. Bait barge had either 5-7" dines or 3-5" chovies. We took the dines.

La Jolla was pretty much empty and we had it to ourselves other than the NSF so we dropped bait down to 120' over a rocky ledge. Hooked up but never saw the fish. I am dying to catch another big WSB for some delicious eats. This could have been the one. We will never know.

Just north of LJ kelp
120' of water
7" dine on the bottom
Water 71.5
Wind was early but faded
Swells light
Bilge pump failed leaving us almost swamped and left too early to try for more

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I love fishing the La Jolla area. Today was great with overcast skies and a HUGE tidal swing of 7 feet from 0900-1600 thanks to the big moon. I have not posted much this El Nino summer but had some great days of wide open 25-30lb YFT and also a double wahoo strike one month ago today where both were landed just west of the north Coronado island http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/double-hoos-near-the-coronados-9-28-15.604291/ If there is a better wahoo video, please share.

Dana landing had only a handful of trucks/trailers when we launched at 0830 this weekday warrior Wednesday morning. Good for us. Bait barge had either 5-7" dines or 3-5" chovies. We took the dines.

La Jolla was pretty much empty and we had it to ourselves other than the NSF so we dropped bait down to 120' over a rocky ledge. Hooked up but never saw the fish. I am dying to catch another big WSB for some delicious eats. This could have been the one. We will never know.

Just north of LJ kelp
120' of water
7" dine on the bottom
Water 71.5
Wind was early but faded
Swells light
Bilge pump failed leaving us almost swamped and left too early to try for more

Nothin wrong with your technique, seemed you kept it tight, worked it slow and easy--not much else you could have done. Sometimes they just break off

Reactions: Jaact
Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    Way to hook up to some fish! You're obviously do a lot of things right and the end of the video, hook just must have pulled... nothin you can do, happens to all of us, even myself quite often AHHHH!

Upvote 0

Jaact

Almost A Member
    Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Yes
    Bummer......How did you almost get swamped?
    Full bait tank and both of us fishing from the stern making it heavy. Boat rides like most with stern to the seas in a long drift. Hull filled up with water and the float switch had failed. Then the deck started getting wet. Turned on the manual bilge pump switch and realized nothing was coming out of the bilge discharge port. My buddy started bailing as water was coming over the starboard aft corner. I started the engine and got forward momentum going. The self bailing hull released all of the water from the deck. I relocated the bait tank pump to the inner hull and removed just enough water to get us back to the Mission Bay ramp. Stuff can happen out there and it can happen pretty quick. We would not have died but we would have lost most of what was onboard. Replacing my bilge pump now and double checking all connections and fuses.

Upvote 0

gearshifter

Jul 18, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    None
    Full bait tank and both of us fishing from the stern making it heavy. Boat rides like most with stern to the seas in a long drift. Hull filled up with water and the float switch had failed. Then the deck started getting wet. Turned on the manual bilge pump switch and realized nothing was coming out of the bilge discharge port. My buddy started bailing as water was coming over the starboard aft corner. I started the engine and got forward momentum going. The self bailing hull released all of the water from the deck. I relocated the bait tank pump to the inner hull and removed just enough water to get us back to the Mission Bay ramp. Stuff can happen out there and it can happen pretty quick. We would not have died but we would have lost most of what was onboard. Replacing my bilge pump now and double checking all connections and fuses.

Should add another bilge pump for a back up.

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
    Sep 29, 2004
    Orange County
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    21' Custom Half Cab

Was your buddy bailing the water with a manual pump?

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Thats my program, every time I grab the gaff before color, snap!!!!

First thing I thought was don't curse the fish with the gaff haha . Sorry you lost it. We all have though...... It was a TOAD!

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    Should add another bilge pump for a back up.
    It's funny you should have written this--some of us were just talking about how it might be nice to have a regular talk with the BD guys about, as you said, things that can happen out there. Most important, how to prevent them in the first place, then go to the back-up, what do you do if they happen anyway--lessons learned and that kind of thing. I'll bet the guys reading this, with 10X times my experience could write some damn good "how to prevent" and "what to do" kind of things, in fact I know they could, cause I see bits and pieces from the guys--all the time

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I've been in a similar situation with our old boat. Thought it was sitting a bit low so I pop off an inspection plate and start yelling to turn around. Bilge pump was not working and the back deck plate was leaking like crazy.

I would track down that leak and fix it asap as that is the only way to truly protect yourself from being swamped.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    Step one, for most of us, is identify each and every place where you could get inflow water--fix it if not working, or beef it up, whatever. One of the biggest culprits is the seal around inboard drives. Engine a little out of time, the vibration starts working away at it, time on the water too. And all the through hull fittings; I just put a 90 on the hose fitting that brings water to the bait tank--pain in the ass let me tell you, but hiring it done beats not having it, so either way it needs to be done. All newer boats have it, by the way, mine was older (2003) so I had to retrofit myself. If that hose pops off, I can turn the handle just like shutting off the main in your home if you have a flood inside. Learn your boat, stern to bow. And seal those damn hatches, the bilge pump/pumps is NOT meant to keep up with masses of sea water. When I got my boat, the seals on the hatches had zero seals--they were gone, and water flowed through them to the bilge.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
    Jul 14, 2008
    North San Diego
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Gregor 20
    Yep grabbed the gaffed before color. Nice work nonetheless, thanks for the video

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
    Oside
    Name
    e-man
    Boat
    204 Angler
    Bummer on the lost fish, been there done that. Looking at the rod tip, I noticed short little taps while you were working it, made me think you had a toad yellow on. Maybe others can chime in on this. Go get him next time!

Upvote 0

dorado50

May 5, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    DAVID
    Boat
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    Clearly a BSB..........

Upvote 0