Dexter Outdoors

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
So, I thought I'd post this in Long Range because I Normally travel the red eye express and stay one night in the Vagabond before launching the next morning, I booked a room earlier in the year at the Vagabond, "been doing this for years", 80 bucks + tax was no big deal, My wife say's she would like me to go a day earlier so I didn't have to drive all night, ....Ya she's probably right.... so I went to the site to manage my booking to add a night and to my surprise and disgust, my jaw dropped, the price went to a min of 225 per night and the average for the room is now 250....WTF, this was ok for a traveling fisherman, but holy fuck I sure wouldn't bring the wife to stay here for 250/ night. Site say's it's renovating and coming back as the sea harbor hotel. This has been so convenient for my long range fishing yaya's but looking like I'll be rethinking future trips. DAMNIT !!!!! price gouging mfrs

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Just more "Gentrification" of areas like these........ Dana Point is also going through this....

I just "Stealth Camp" when traveling... My pickup has a shell so an air mattress and a large chain gym membership for showers works for me....

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I thought this was going to be a bedtime story... Joking aside it's getting more difficult for an average Joe to travel and arrive at the docks fresh. Stealth camping unfortunately may be in more out of town anglers future.

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I just "Stealth Camp" when traveling... My pickup has a shell so an air mattress and a large chain gym membership for showers works for me...
    A few $ a night at the Big 3 landings parking lot or free at Seaforth. Cars and trucks coming and going at all hours, no one is going to even notice much less say anything. Throw some fishing themed bumper stickers on your truck or van and you blend right in. I do it all the time and I'm local. Just easier for me than driving early morning or late night after drinking, er, I mean fishing, all day :D

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I have to travel down before my trips and either stay at a friends in O'side or at the Hampton Inn in Carlsbad on Palomar Airport rd. It's usually under $120 and close to the freeway with good eats all around it. Decent hotel with easy access to rooms and plenty of security if you leave stuff in your truck/car

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I thought this was going to be a bedtime story... Joking aside it's getting more difficult for an average Joe to travel and arrive at the docks fresh. Stealth camping unfortunately may be in more out of town anglers future.
    Yeah, I figured the next line would have been... "And all through the house...."
    I miss the Dolphin!

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Yeah, I figured the next line would have been... "And all through the house...."
    I miss the Dolphin!
    Ya, I guess it could have went something like: The night before fishin, all through the dock, A SD russian hooker was down on my &%$#, later that night while adjusting my drag, at that 2 star hotel Vag, all I could think of, was that russian a f$g.

Last edited:

SlideRight

Been there...
    Jul 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Name
    Lew
    Boat
    ss minnow
    Just more "Gentrification" of areas like these........ Dana Point is also going through this....

I just "Stealth Camp" when traveling... My pickup has a shell so an air mattress and a large chain gym membership for showers works for me....
    Yeah, been doing that for years. Fogged up windows come dawn a dead give away tho. Another benefit, no one's going to break in & steel your stuff, & if they did......:oops:

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    I thought they were going to tear down the Vagabond, but were delayed because of Covid. I was totally unimpressed the last time I was there and am changing accommodations. There are several options around the landing at a better rate, just google it.

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Really liked a few boats that allowed sleeping overnight before the trip. I know that needs a crew member onboard. Seem to remember that in the distant past on some boats.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I guess there’s an opportunity there for local guys who have a spare bed. Call it SeaBnB. Retired, bored? Take in an angler, share some stories (lies) and drop him off in the morning. Pick up after the trip. Mike Morris could expand his services. :)

CV-Wayne

Jan 25, 2014
    Castro Valley
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Get the app HotelTonight. I saw my son use it in Indianapolis recently when we were there for one night before traveling on. I pre-booked at this shithole La Quinta for $100 and he got the Wyndam for $50 right after we landed. My son swears by the app and says he gets great last minute deals when he travels.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Not to worry! The convention center has plenty of spare beds.

SD-CONVENTION-CENTER-WALKTHROUGH.jpg

pgangler

12Wt
    Jul 25, 2012
    Pacific Grove, Calif
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
    I've run into this before at the Vag, and it was due to Comicon. Since this is still a Covid era, I'm not sure if that's what's driving it for your particular dates? The last few years, during my November trips, the Vag has been about $120, and I did get parking.

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Wow, just checked out prices for a potential trip... May 27... Vagabond $250 a night from then through June! Probably same rate further out, but that's all that showed. Ramada? $83! If I go, I'll be driving in, so the option to park in their lot makes the Ramada the hands down choice.

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    I've run into this before at the Vag, and it was due to Comicon. Since this is still a Covid era, I'm not sure if that's what's driving it for your particular dates? The last few years, during my November trips, the Vag has been about $120, and I did get parking.
    It's changing owners, rehab April thru May, changing the sheets, then coming back under a new name. (sea harbor hotel) and charging three times more

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Soda Pop

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
    Whittier
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    Red Rooster 111
    Usually stay at the Vagabond but last year I tried out the Ramada.. Ok room like the Vagabond but just fine for fisherman. Got up in the morning grabbed a cart from the landing and walked it to the room. Loaded up and back to the landing. There were 4 groups all on my trip that did the same Pretty easy

Reactions: woodfish330

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    I'm gonna miss the Dolphin when I go down this fall. I do have a cousin with a big house in eastern SD so may end up staying at her place and having her keep my truck. Ugh...logistics.

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
    brooklyn
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    Independence
    Stayed at the vag in January. It was what it was. But I wound t spend 250 to stay anywhere around the landing. The airport’s has great places around it. That could be a nice option

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Smart anglers don’t stay at the vagabond. That place sucks. Rude employees and you can’t park there if the landings lot is full. Ramada is a option and if the landings lot is full you can pay to park at the hotel.

Soda,

I am surprised to read this from you. I have stayed at the Vagabond many times and the staff has always been polite and helpful. Like most folks seem to describe you.

Obviously I am not a smart angler. But $250 doesn't cut it with the Ramada right there. Guess I need to get my reservation in for next January. : )

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    The Best Western is great, decent staff too and right across the street.

The Holiday Inn is a bit pricier and a few steps further but great rooms and quiet. Excellent pool with the bar/restaurant attached and a free appetizer during happy hour FYI

Reactions: litzsout619

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I usually stay at a hotel one night before my trip, then the night of our return. I've asked the desk and housekeeping staff if they like fish on my pre-trip stays. If they do, I bring them a fish when we return. It's fun to see their face when I walk into the office with a whole dorado or yellowtail! Last time the wrong person was there and didn't want it, so I had to keep the yt.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    I was looking at the prices of hotel room, near the San Diego landings, before my trip in late June. Prices have really gone up. I was thinking of arriving VERY early in the morning of my trip, driving from Utah, and sleeping in my P/U truck for a few hours. in the Landings parking lot. My problem might be of having to pee. Is there an open bathroom all night at the landings?

Reactions: woodfish330