The newest Avet...SXJ!

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by finadict, Dec 31, 2012.

1. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    A giant paperweight keeping my driveway from blowin away
    I estimate a few weeks. When i left work friday, spools were running on a machine, and frames were being set up. Give time to polish, ano, assemble, etc...couple of weeks seems realistic.

2. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Thank you. This is a well thought out and complete answer. The reel is also complete and now available. I will not question what has already been decided. I hope that people new to Avets who are looking to buy a reel get as complete an answer. The choices among reels is in no way clear. What I used to love about Avets is that buying one was easy. All I had to do was pick the right size;small sx, medium mx, jig jx, large lx, and somehow my SDS fit in as well. I get the score but for the new guys...

3. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    A lot of people ask "why narrow versions?"

Here are the general pro's & con's of Narrow vs. Wide for all Avet series:

Narrow Pro's:

1: Lighter spool, better casting efficiency. The lighter the spool, the less weight to set in motion on the cast. The lighter the bait you are casting, the harder it is to set the weight of said spool in motion. A typical reel spool used in a strong distance cast has to go from 0 to 4000+ rpm's immediately at the time a loaded rod recoils and straightens out at the end of the casting cycle...in the blink of an eye. A lighter bait will require more wasted energy in the cast to set a heavier spool in motion than a lighter one. If the energy from you, and the stored energy from the rod recoil was all focused on propelling the bait forward, rather than setting the weight of the spool in motion, the bait will travel a further distance with less effort.

2: Overall lighter weight. Even though there may be only an oz or 2 difference in weight out of the box, with line added there is a more significant difference.

3: The narrow spool allows easier line leveling on the retrieve, and less line balling up to one side or the other.

4: Compact and comfortable to "palm" while retrieving.

5: Handle is closer to the center-line of the rod, more stable when cranking under load, less rod/crank wobble.

6: Less line needed to fill the reel. More often than not, multiple hundreds of yards of line are not necessary for species of fish that dont run far. Especially helpful on larger models with expensive spectra.

Narrow Cons:

1: Less line capacity (compared to same diameter, wider reel). If targeting large long running fish, the wide will allow more buffer room.

2: More drag pressure fluctuation. The drag pressure at the terminal end of the line increases as the diameter of the mass of line on the spool gets smaller. Example: You fill a narrow reel with 400yds and set the drag relative to your line class. You cast 100yds, and a fish takes and runs 100yds. That is half of the line, your spool dia is now roughly half, your drag pressure at the hook has now nearly doubled due to less radial leverage from the spool to the drag discs, and line drag through the water. This is easily compensated for by backing the drag off slightly, so it isnt necessarily a "con" when using a lever drag system. This is precisely the biggest advantage of a lever drag, you can make adjustments on the fly, and still get back to the original drag setting once you gain line back. I only list this as a "con" as more frequent compensation adjustments may be necessary with long running fish as compared to a wide version of the same reel with the exact same distance of line out.

3: Retrieve speed fluctuation. This is another one that could fall into the pro, or con category. As the line diameter on the spool changes, so does the retrieve speed. Inches per crank are listed in specs based on a full spool of line. Gear ratios really dont mean much as a stand alone...its all about spool diameter in conjunction with gear ratios to get inches per crank, which is the actual speed and power. The higher the inches per crank, the faster the retrieve. The lower the inches per crank, the more "winch" power you have. With narrow spool reels, the more line you have out during a hard battle with a big fish, the more winch power you will have when the fish starts to kick your ass! this could put this in the pro category in some cases. This probably applies more-so to larger models of reels lol. But on the flip-side, casting and retrieving speed sensitive jigs that are cast a very long distance, your retrieve speed will be somewhat proportionate to the distance you cast. Same could apply to deep drop jigging. You drop a jig deep enough to take a significant amount of line from your spool..your retrieve speed will be slower. This is why we have 2-speed options...and why I cant really call this a pro or con.

Wide pro's

1: line capacity vs diameter. With many anglers the diameter (tall) can make a big difference in ergonomics. Ill use myself as an example here. I need a 2-speed 40# rig that will hold roughly 300 yds of mono. The boat on the (hypothetical) trip I have planned wont allow spectra (yes they do still exist). This basically gives me 2 choices in the Avet lineup, an LX 6/3 or HXJ 5/2. Both reels have nearly identical working specs..similar line capacity, similar inches per crank in both hi and low gears, similar spool weight with line. The only significant difference is width and diameter. The LX is small in diameter and wide, the HXJ is larger in diameter and very narrow. I prefer the characteristics of the narrow for the minimal line leveling and cranking stability, but the larger diameter in this case will be a deal breaker and I will opt for the smaller diameter/wider LX. I have short fingers and thumbs. I also have, like many who have pulled wrenches and twisted screwdrivers most of their career, have carpal tunnel, and even a touch of arthritis in cold weather to boot. The larger diameter of the HXJ is about the maximum I can comfortably thumb all day, every day, casting on a multi-day fishing trip. The smaller diameter LX is just right, and worth dealing with the width in this case. Yes the JX (the narrow version of the LX) would be even better, but I need the line capacity in this case.

2: (opposite of #2 in the narrow cons): less drag fluctuation from line diameter as compared to the same diameter narrow version. I used 400 yds of line with 200 yds out as an example for the narrow. Now that same reel in the wide will hold 600 yards. In the same scenario, cast 100 yds, fish runs an additional 100, you have 200 yds out. In this case youve only used 1/3 of the line capacity, not half like the narrow. Your drag hasnt doubled, its only increased by about 1/3 (roughly). Less overall drag adjustment during the fight.

3: More consistent retrieve speed due to more line capacity and less line mass diameter fluctuation. Could be pro, could be con, depending on 2-spd vs single, etc.

Wide cons: (basically the opposite of the narrow pro's)

1: Heavier spool for the same diameter reel. Wides are still great casters, but the lighter narrow spools have a distinct edge with lighter baits/lures.

2: Heavier overall for the same diameter.

3: More prone to crank wobble under load, not always easy and comfortable to "palm" while retrieving...etc.

Another perspective to look at with wide vs narrow is the actual line you choose. Ive fished on piers, jetties and the local charter boat fleet up and down the California coast my entire life, at least since I was old enough to hold a rod and crank a handle...better part of 40 years. (holy crap that was hard to realize) For the largest amount of that time dacron and mono was the line. The most common sized reel, used for just about everything was the Jigmaster. This was the most universally sized and commonplace on every pier, surf fishing spot, jetty, and sport boat. It was just the perfect size to hold a reasonable amount of dacron or mono in the most common line classes used around here, 20-40. Anyone who has fished the local Cali scene knows this reel and its size. The closest Avet that will compare to the physical size and capacity is the LX. The LX was originally sized to hold a reasonable amount of 30lb mono...around 350 yards. Now we have spectra..much thinner and stronger than mono. To fill an LX with 30# spectra would just be plain silly...and very expensive. Any local fish targeted with 30# line will never run 2000 yards. Sure you could back the spool with mono to use up space, but whats the point? Now take a JX, the same reel as the LX but narrow, fill it with 65# spectra with a 30#mono top-shot. Now you have a rig with more line capacity, fishing the same line class, that will outperform the LX with just mono in cast-ability, is lighter and easier to cast all day, easier to level line, is more stable while cranking, and more comfortable to handle.

4. beezy

beezy Newbie

Name:
    Bee Thao
    Boat:
    Beezy
    that's going to be my new reel pretty soon. Can't wait.

5. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    Are certain colors getting done first - guessing silver and what else

6. finadict

finadict Member

Name:
    Scott Throop
    Boat:
    Silver, blue and gold are our 3 main colors that we try to maintain in stock at all times. I dont know what the quantity of the first run will be. if its less than 100, im sure the first run will be split equally between silv, blu, gold, an a dozen or so set aside to do custom colors as ordered.

7. Biggameaddict

Biggameaddict Newbie

Name:
    arthur
    Boat:
    sea saw
    This is gonna be perfect for drifting for halibut!

8. Biggameaddict

Biggameaddict Newbie

Name:
    arthur
    Boat:
    sea saw
    Will you have a gun metal color out? Please!

9. dan1

dan1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    Any updates on the spinner?

10. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Will the SXJ be delivered with the small reel foot so that it more easily fits on freshwater rods?

11. Grmanrocks

Grmanrocks Member

Name:
    Spencer
    Boat:
    26' Navy Whaleboat
    i second that motion, best color avet ever made (aside from that early run of copper ones).

i for one am thrilled at the release of a narrow SX.

in fact, ill prolly sell my 10a's and buy an arsenal worth of the little gems for the boat :finger:

12. Stryker20

Stryker20 Subtle as a Hand Grenade

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    Wow!

Thats a pretty damn cool little powerhouse reel.

I'll take two when they're ready.

Which distributors will have them first?

13. KP1

KP1 Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    34' Tollycraft Sedan, 16.5 seasquirt

Me likey...... Mikey likey.....

14. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    why can't this be out by feb. my gf is buying me a new avet for my 30th I guess I'll be going with an sx considering. I can't wait to get one and add it to the avet collection we've got going. looking forward to some off colors too.

15. SharkBoyEI

SharkBoyEI Emerald Isle Shark Boy

Name:
    Trevor Alexander
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker Pro Team 175
    YAY I cant wait to get one of these. I was going to buy a sx for bass fishing and catfishing soon to see how itd go but now it looks like ill be getting one of these. This looks like itd be perfect for casting a crankbait and the smaller spool size will be easier to level the line because personally I hate doing that

16. ogirstein

ogirstein Newbie

Name:
    ogir
    Boat:
    not yet
    What about a lefty?

17. Native20559

Native20559 Displaced Surf Fisherman

Name:
    TJ
    Boat:
    n/a
    Speaking for the freshwater Swimbait fishermen, "thank you" for thinking about our needs! It would really be nice if you considered removing some metal from the non-handle side plate as well as anywhere else weight savings could be made without compromising structural rigidity. Tossing swimbaits in excess of 4 oz. and up to as much as 10 oz. for hours on end can really take a toll on a body. Every removed un-needed oz. helps.

In addition to the freshwater reel seat foot, will the reel have an standard paddle style 95 mm handle option (Better still, package the reel with both allen wrench replaceable reel foot options, and both power egg and paddle style handles. Wow, talk about built in flexibility!)?

It would also be nice to include a live spindle design to increase the light bait versatility and increased casting distance with both larger and smaller baits.

I know I'll be getting one regardless. :appl:

18. sc_shark

sc_shark Newbie

Name:
    michael laucks
    Boat:
    sharks on
    if u get a chance shoot me a pm on price for a purple and orange... need 2:)

19. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Hey Scott,
    Thanks for clarifying the target group.

At first I thought why, but now I know. i have two sx reels. One with mono, one with spectra. Both have the annoying dog click. Has that been improved?

Cheers

20. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Ditto. I can't speak to other than SoCal inshore/offshore fishing, but I've yet to see a calico bass, barely legal bay halibut, or barracuda that needs an aluminum tank like an Avet, and I see no real application for a small narrow reel on an offshore trip (I own a LXJ and an HXJ). Too much weight, too much $ for a sand bass reel. I'll stick with my Newells and baitcasters. Unless you're fishing light line for a world record and need that flawless lever drag or something.

But that's just me. I'm stoked for Avet that they know their market and that they will sell a bunch of these American made SXJs to folks who have an application for them. More power to ya!