TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 23 "Rough Rider"
Well guys, I lost my yellowtail virginity and its awesome! I went out of the New Seaforth's AM trip. While we were browsing around trying to mark yellowtail I overhear some guy talking about BloodyDecks and thought nothing of it. I finally go to grab my rod off the rack and when I come back he looks at my reel and jig and gives me a funny look. He then asks me "Are you on bloodydecks? Whats your username." I responded and said my name was "TheBoyScout". He then laughed and said "Whats up! Ive been replying to your Newbie posts" He then told me his user name (Bondrvr) we exchanged laughs and talked about using my Ahi jig.

We come to a stop and the captain tells us to drop our lines. I hit the bottom then start cranking on my new Shimano Torium 20, new rod, new jig. BAM! My rod gets heavy and Im hooked on a yellow! My first one! I fight him for what seems like an eternity, then i get caught up in the mother of all cluster fucks. I see 6 jigs, 5 bait lines all tangled. Some how my line gets cut. But wait, theres a yellowtail wrapped up in mono with deep color being shown. The deck hand starts pulling him up by the mono hes wrapped in! Boom he gets gets gaffed and then I see my funky jig in his mouth and i yell "Hey! Thats my (Bleep)ing jig!) wow did I get lucky...

We stopped a second time and first drop and reel retrieve i get hooked up on a yellow again! Fought him for a while but jinxed myself when i tried to turn on my gopro camera and ended up losing him and my lucky jig :( Oh well you win some and ya lose some. Anyways I had great fun with my new buddy Bondrvr! He gave me a lot of tips and gave me some confidence.

Well thanks to all of you who helped me get on my first fish! All those newbie questions being answered really helped thanks again :)

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523-1.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
CONGRATS!!!!

Addicting, isn't it????!!!!

Upvote 0

dockrat88

no fish pulling against me shall prosper
  • Jul 16, 2008
    culver city
    Name
    tony
    Boat
    whatever floats
    Congrats on your first yellow.. Especially on the jig. Life is never going to be the same

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Nice YT greenhorn! Welcome to your new life.

Now...next thing to learn, greenhorn. Top of this page, "How to use these forums"..."posting pictures". My neck can't handle it!!! LOL

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Right on man,congrats!
    My first yellowtail was caught on the new seaforth also,am trip off pt loma.I believe it cost my dad $9.00 for me at that time.It was a little firecracker,not nearly as nice as yours.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    Well guys, I lost my yellowtail virginity and its awesome! I went out of the New Seaforth's AM trip. While we were browsing around trying to mark yellowtail I overhear some guy talking about BloodyDecks and thought nothing of it. I finally go to grab my rod off the rack and when I come back he looks at my reel and jig and gives me a funny look. He then asks me "Are you on bloodydecks? Whats your username." I responded and said my name was "TheBoyScout". He then laughed and said "Whats up! Ive been replying to your Newbie posts" He then told me his user name (Bondrvr) we exchanged laughs and talked about using my Ahi jig.

We come to a stop and the captain tells us to drop our lines. I hit the bottom then start cranking on my new Shimano Torium 20, new rod, new jig. BAM! My rod gets heavy and Im hooked on a yellow! My first one! I fight him for what seems like an eternity, then i get caught up in the mother of all cluster fucks. I see 6 jigs, 5 bait lines all tangled. Some how my line gets cut. But wait, theres a yellowtail wrapped up in mono with deep color being shown. The deck hand starts pulling him up by the mono hes wrapped in! Boom he gets gets gaffed and then I see my funky jig in his mouth and i yell "Hey! Thats my (Bleep)ing jig!) wow did I get lucky...

We stopped a second time and first drop and reel retrieve i get hooked up on a yellow again! Fought him for a while but jinxed myself when i tried to turn on my gopro camera and ended up losing him and my lucky jig :( Oh well you win some and ya lose some. Anyways I had great fun with my new buddy Bondrvr! He gave me a lot of tips and gave me some confidence.

Well thanks to all of you who helped me get on my first fish! All those newbie questions being answered really helped thanks again :)

View attachment 567600

View attachment 567601

View attachment 567602

View attachment 567605
    nice job,you havevthe bug now goodbye $

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Nice job today, you looked more experienced and fished better than most of our other 75 friends aboard.
    I was amazed at how fast that Ahi jig dropped. That thing hit bottom twice as fast as the 7x I was using. Too bad the fish gods demanded immediate payment for your cherry popping fish.
    Also, Kudos to the crew on the New Seaforth, 77 anglers, slug yellows biting in flurries of 12-15 at a time, and a VERY high percentage of fish landed. This was only my second 1/2 day trip in 45 seasons of San Diego fishing. It was nice to have zero responsibility and no boat to clean.
    Send me a PM with contact info. and I'll definitely get you out on my boat this year. You are a good guy and by the look in your eyes when you landed that fish, I am sure you will be a permanent fixture in the So. Cal. Ocean fishing scene.

GREAT JOB............BD. :jig::jig::jig:

Upvote 0

socalwhiteboy

Almost A Member
    Apr 29, 2008
    Northridge
    Name
    James
    Boat
    16' lund
    Great read and congrats on your first, addicting to say the least. Bondrvr kudos to you for helping him out, sounds like a good day all around. Take him up on that offer, fishing from a pb is a different game, you'll love it.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    Cool report and way to get your first, still remember where I got mine bet you will too. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0