The moment that you fell in love with fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Tifoso, May 5, 2017.

1. Tifoso

Tifoso Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    I would like to hear your stories of the moment that you fell in love with fishing. :)

The more detailed the story, the better. :cool:

2. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
  3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    6 years old.. Morgan day camp at reseda park..the pond was on the other side of the wash but I used to sneak over there to watch guys catch bluegill and the occasional crappie before I got my first trout rod..
    After begging my dad for a rod and reel I found a stash spot in the park for it and after getting caught a couple times the counselers finally gave up trying to stop me...the addiction was complete...

Bigfishhateme, kbray001 and Tifoso like this.
  4. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Hahahaha! Great story. :D

5. terrace

terrace Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    Yep
    My father started me at 4 years old always loved it my brother would rather throw rocks. I remember when I was around 11 we were trout fishing trout at cachuma lake. I wanted to catch a catfish so i put on a big spring treble hook and a giant ball of garlic cheese and cast it out when it hit the water with a big splash we heard two guys laughing and say what the hell is that kid casting a boat anchor. ten minutes later I land a 12 lb catfish. later that morning in the parking these same guys looking at my catch ask what were you using for bait I replied a boat anchor dad cracking up gives me a pat on the back and says great job son. Ended up with a picture in the news press. 45 years ago remember it like yesterday

6. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    I grew up freshwater fishing with my grandpa. I always enjoyed it but it was more about driving the boat and going exploring with my grandpa than fishing to me.

This all changed when I was 15. We had gone on a few over night boats growing up but had really never caught anything larger than some sand bass and small barracuda. This trip was my first two day boat on the prowler. I had no idea what I was doing. After a very frustrating morning watching other people catch fish we pulled up to a giant paddy. I was determined to catch something.

As we pulled up I baited up and ran to the bow. I casted out just short of the paddy. I was staring at the line start ripping of my borrowed Shimano baitrunner. I was so inexperienced I didn't know the difference between a bait and a tuna. Buzz popped his head out the bridge and calmly said, "you should probably set the hook, you are hooked up." I flipped over the bail and set the hook on my first Yft. After a ten minute fight I landed my first football sized tuna.

As soon as I landed that one my dad took a quick picture. buzz grabbed my pole tied on a new hook (in about three seconds) and told me to catch another one. From that day on I had the tuna fever.

Flash forward 14 years and I still have the fever. I have more saltwater setups than pairs of jeans and I still get just as excited now When we are sliding into a paddy and I grab a bait and run to the bow.

7. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Great story, too!

8. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    You guys are posting up fantastic stories. Thanks!

9. BarryFree

BarryFree Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!

Name:
    Barry
    Boat:
    Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
    I was a foster child and this is an excerpt from my book, "Foster Child":
    When I got a little older, around 9, Daddy Fleetwood took my cousin Dwayne and I fishing and target shooting. We dug up earthworms in the yard the day before fishing for bait. Then we left early in the morning for upstate New York. It was a long trip and when we had to pee, Daddy Fleetwood pulled over on the side of the road where Dwayne and I had peeing contest near the car headlights to see who could pee the furthest. We arrived at the fishing grounds in the dark. Sometimes it was a little stream or river and at others, it was a farm pond. Daddy Fleetwood brought canned Sardines, Potted meat, Pork and Beans, Saltine crackers and Vienna sausages for us to enjoy. We could see, but mostly hear big fish jumping in the water and I wanted to catch them or shoot them with the rifle. Daddy Fleetwood wasn’t having it and we had to wait for sunup to start fishing. By that time, the fish quit jumping. He had some great fishing spots, and we always caught tons of fish. Sometimes the fish were so hungry I could catch them with only a hook using no bait. We caught perch, bass, sunfish, and pike. After a while when we were done fishing, he broke out a couple of his rifles and we went target shooting. When we got back we helped Daddy Fleetwood clean and scale the fish for a big fish fry. All the family was called over to enjoy the feast. I loved our outings with Daddy Fleetwood because it gave us bonding time, promoted manliness, and gave us fun time away from the house.

Bigfishhateme and Tifoso like this.
  10. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    When I was 4 my dad got stationed in Bremerton. My mom, grandma and I drove and met the ship there.
    Somewhere in Oregon we stopped to pee. And there was a nice lil Creek. My grandma's eyes got real big and almost sprinted back to the car. Started digging through the trunk until she found her fly rod. She grabbed my hand and we trotted back to the stream. She caught one right away. Then she let me catch a few. Up to that point I didn't know she was a fanatic fisher. I named my first boat after her. RIP Lila Mae.

11. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Another awesome story!

12. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Thanks for the story. Eternal rest grant unto her, o Lord..

sealskinner likes this.
  13. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    It was on this trip.
    [​IMG]

14. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I grew up in Tarzana, near Portola Jr High. The first fish I ever caught was a catfish from that same pond in Reseda Park. I was probably 10-12 years old, and remember bringing it home and somehow it was still alive, and continued to live for another couple of days in a bucket. I was amazed that any fish could be so hardy, and gained huge respect for catfish.

Nobody in my family fished, so there was no one to take me or go with. Flash forward some 25 years. I had always liked food, and anything having to do with it. I cooked, I grew my own herbs and vegetables, even became a member of the California Rare Fruit Growers Society. I was busy abandoning my old profession and starting a business with a couple of friends, so both time and money were tight.

But I always wanted to try fishing, especially as fresh fish tasted so much better than what I could buy in the store. I liked being outdoors, and figured that with fishing either I was having the fun of catching a fish or relaxing while waiting for a fish to bit my bait.

After a few years, our business started to grow to the extent that I had some spending money, and was able to date again (women weren't thrilled with dating a guy in his 30's who junked a successful life to work out of the garage, LOL). I had been dating a women for about 3 months and my birthday was coming up. She asked if for a birthday present I would like to go along with people from her office on an overnight trip out of Santa Barbara on the then Seahawk 65.

Talk about beginner's luck--I caught a 59# white sea bass while flyling a sardine in the kelp hoping for a calico.

The rest is history.

fishin_kid, kbray001 and Tifoso like this.
  15. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Great story, Brad!

16. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    My father and 20ish of his friends chartered the First String for an overnight trip to SCI. I was 8 years old. We caught a few seabass and yellowtail, all nice size. One of the deckhands saw a boil 30 yards out from the stern of the boat, and just as he saw it, I had just pinned on a fresh squid on my rental jigmaster setup with 20lb. He grabbed my rod out of my hand, casted it to the boil, hooked up almost immediately, and gave the rod to me. I landed a 30ish pound yellow after 30 minutes. And, i was hooked for life :)
    -Aren

Tifoso likes this.
  17. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Nice!

18. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    I always enjoyed fishing as a kid in Pennsylvania but I wouldn't say I was "HOOKED" until I moved to California at age 21 and went on a party boat with with a neighbor who gave me his old jiggmaster setup and we got into wide open barracuda on the surface iron and I knew right there and then I was hooked! 13 years later and although I don't enjoy the cuda's as much I still live for the sport and enjoy every second out on the water.

Tifoso likes this.
  19. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I can't define the exact moment but it started when i was 4 at Lake Murray fishing with my grandfather.I caught my first fish ever,a 2 lb. trout.I still have the picture. That man took me fishing once a week during the summer months.Mostly San Diego bay and occasional trips to lake Hodges where i experienced my first ever "wide open" bass bite using a Rebel crankbait i painted with testors model paint.I also have an uncle that would take my brother and i to the sandpits in Santee.This was the early 70's when Santee was the boonies.We used corn for bait and would catch 100's of hand sized Bluegill consistently.Grandfathers gone but i still use some of his tackle occasionally.My brother still has his old boat.Typing this reminds me i need to take my uncle fishing,he's getting old and needs to get a fishing rod back in his hand.

kbray001 and Tifoso like this.
  20. Tifoso

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Made posting the thread worth it, right there. :cool: