catchabigone

Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor
Dec 14, 2006
shelter cove
Name
dave
Boat
2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
yes there will be a coast guard investigation. the insurance will want one for sure. I sank a boat on a lake and there was a Coastie investigation. I had my sixpac at the time so I am pretty sure about it.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The boat sank and the crew lived. I wonder what the financial impact is to a commercial boat? My insurance policy would set me back to where I could buy another hull and motor, but the 100's of hours of labor would start again.

Glad the crew is safe, It's a sporty and will be back on the water again.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
Seems odd that the boat is "resting just below the surface". Wonder if Keith ran into the shallow water so if the boat did go under it could be salvaged. Glad everyone is ok as that situation is a Captains worst nightmare. Well at least from my perspective.

Reactions: fishpye

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bitchen about the bunks on a boat and a good mans livelyhood, that is on the bottom of the Ocean. Peoples incessant complaining never cease to amaze me
Complain about bunkroom, air conditioning, heads and showers on a boat that sank? What's the positive outcome of that? Let's go find some homeless people on the street and kick some of them.

This thread should be cleaned up and closed.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Complain about bunkroom, air conditioning, heads and showers on a boat that sank? What's the positive outcome of that? Let's go find some homeless people on the street and kick some of them.

This thread should be cleaned up and closed.
fishing with only 13 other People on the Maximus
it was Special, and the best thing was to see the Prowler
Load up with 29 Anglers as we left
I hope Keith , ends up Getting a Boat about the same Size
Because Bigger is not always Better

Reactions: Johnny J

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
There but for the grace of God go I (and most of the rest of us who take risks). Hopefully, some details will be shared that we may learn from that experience.

Although I have high-water alarms, I have decided that they are all too high -- I want them to go off before there is a bunch of water in the bilge. Since my bilges are normally bone dry, that won't be a problem.

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
for all of us that caught a fish of a lifetime on this vessel, and out of pure respect, please guys, knock the speculation off, we all know how hard this would hurt each of us in the same circumstance, I am glad the boys are all ok. Welcome home Keith and crew and Godspeed to you all.

Last edited:

Lotsa Luck

Oct 18, 2004
Hyatt Marina Mission Bay
Name
Don Luckenbach, 100 Ton Capt.
Boat
35' Cabo Express, Lotsa Luck II
There but for the grace of God go I (and most of the rest of us who take risks). Hopefully, some details will be shared that we may learn from that experience.

Although I have high-water alarms, I have decided that they are all too high -- I want them to go off before there is a bunch of water in the bilge. Since my bilges are normally bone dry, that won't be a problem.

I lowered all mine to just above the bilge pumps. We took on water once and found out from the high water alarm. There was 18" of water before the alarm went off and found out the bilge pump wasn't working. Not any more.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
for all us that caught a fish of a lifetime on this vessel, and out of pure respect, please guys, knock the speculation off, we all how hard this would hurt each of us in the same circumstance, I am glad the boys are all ok. Welcome home Keith and crew and Godspeed to you all.
??? Where do you possibly see any hurtful speculation in this post?

Man have people sure become ultra sensitive these days!

Very sorry for what happened, but grateful to see that the captain and crew are all safe!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Seems odd that the boat is "resting just below the surface". Wonder if Keith ran into the shallow water so if the boat did go under it could be salvaged. Glad everyone is ok as that situation is a Captains worst nightmare. Well at least from my perspective.

If I may ask, where did you find the info that it's resting just below the surface, only thing I read was it sunk

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
If I may ask, where did you find the info that it's resting just below the surface, only thing I read was it sunk
I'm thinking Brad "NoLDR" was referring to "Slater" Robs reply (#48) which has since been edited, and where Rob states he saw pics of the Maximus "Listing". Rob may have originally said resting? And then possibly edited it to say "listing".

This is most likely the picture he was referring too.

In any case, from all reports I have read, it indeed has now sunk.

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
How does a Coast Guard Certified Boat just Sink ?

I thought sporties had redundunt systems to prevent this type of thing if it wasn't a major hull break

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I'm thinking Brad "NoLDR" was referring to "Slater" Robs reply (#48) which has since been edited, and where Rob states he saw pics of the Maximus "Listing". Rob may have originally said resting? And then possibly edited it to say "listing".

Thanks for clarifying it for me

SlantEyEdTuna

Jan 29, 2007
Lax
Name
John
Boat
Thresher
I am glad they are all safe. Still so shocking to me since I was just on that boat a few weeks ago. Great crew and those guys know how to find the fish. So curious to hear what happened. The boat felt and looked solid to me. Best of luck to them.

Lotsa Luck

Oct 18, 2004
Hyatt Marina Mission Bay
Name
Don Luckenbach, 100 Ton Capt.
Boat
35' Cabo Express, Lotsa Luck II

What a terrible picture of the ole girl, very sad.

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
Jun 3, 2004
Rancho San Diego
www.CalRealtySD.com
Name
Yusef
Boat
None
Glad to hear Keith and crew are safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Everything has a service life..... even boats... Fiberglass/Aluminum/Wood/Steel it doesn't matter.... That was an old boat and my guess would be fiberglass delamination..... but could also be a hundred different things that can go sideways no matter how old.....

glad everyone got off safe....

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Everything has a service life..... even boats... Fiberglass/Aluminum/Wood/Steel it doesn't matter.... That was an old boat and my guess would be fiberglass delamination.....
Cored hulls aside (and old hulls were not cored), and disregarding the effects of age and use on thru-hulls, bulkheads, etc., I think you will find that a solid fiberglass hull will retain a very high percentage of its resin content and strength (shear, tensile, flex, compressive), even after 50 years in service. In fact, accelerated aging tests suggest a life expectancy of a hundred years or more. Of course, the gel coat is probably shot at that point, but the effects of UV exposure are only skin deep. As you said, the important thing is everyone survived.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
This my friends is precisely why I fish a Boston Whaler. What a drag for the skipper, crew and passengers. Everyone made it out and is safe ...again. Looked like a nice sunny day to be rescued vs a cold stormy night.......

Rmpsocal

Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat
None
Just saw the space shuttle fuel tank in Marina Del Rey. Pretty cool story about the tug crew pulling this beast saved the crew from the Maximus!