The Long Range Character thread.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Jan 29, 2016.

1. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    With this talk of Mike Ashford on another thread , I thought I would start a new one concerning some of the weird,quirky and unique people we have fished with on our LR trips.

All the personalities fishing on long range boats in tight quarters for long lengths of time makes for some unique moments. People on their meds, off their meds, snakebit, mentally unstable or just plain Kooks- we all have seen them. From Mike Ashford to Tom (2guns) there are all good stories to share.
    Some of them are good guys , some of them may have been "off" for whatever reason-

So I will start it off:

"Gadget"-
    On a 15 day Excel trip we had this unique dude who came on the boat fishing solo. Nothing unique about that but what was unique was that he brought and made every type of lure contraption that you ever seen. Put lights on lures,colored them, strange shit- all kinds of crazy stuff. He lined up a whole set of rods with some of the craziest assortment of lures that you will have ever seen. When we asked him WTF were those lures he just said he got all these ideas in his head and went into detail on how they came about. Soda pop was on the trip and named this Guy "Gadget" -a name which stuck. He was actually a really nice dude but something happened when we had to check in at Clarion.

On the way to checkin- He started to pace a lot and became very uncomfortable. I started noticing that something was going down with him. When the Mex authorities finally came on board we practically had to hold him down. I thought he was going to go Rambo on us and take on these guys and take over the island. It was funny as all hell.
    He never did end of catching fish on those lures or taking over the Island but he was an interesting dude.

20140225_142259.jpg

pascuale and Pangamaster like this.
  2. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    One of the most colorful characters I ever met on a long range trip was a guy referred to as "Wire Man" We were on a 10-day back in 2007. He did not fish much, but was one of the funniest, most unusual people I ever met while fishing.

Wire Man was beyond words...He passed-away a few years ago, RIP Wire Man!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Bill W likes this.
  3. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I enjoyed "wire man" and his girl Lisa. Wish that dude was still alive. I can hold my own out there with the drinkers in the crowd, but I've never seen anyone pound beers like that guy. Truly in a league of his own.

fishordie and Bill W like this.
  4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Wireman, Eric I think. "Ring a Ding Ding" :)

Workplacesafety and Bill W like this.
  5. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    How about "Beer Bob."

Auggie likes this.
  6. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I met a Red Neck Named Jason from Missouri, on a 8 day he drank
    278 Beers on the Trip and didn't start before 11
    he was a blast too screw with, and was crazy

7. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Harry are you having a bad day or something? You need to take a chill pill , I think.
    We are just trying to have fun and share/tell fish stories for LR fishing-which many here have a passion for. No need to go crazy on somebody's drinking or someone's weight or what ever.
    But since you weighed in, lets here a good story from you

8. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Jeez...give it a break, dude.

pascuale likes this.
  9. okie man

okie man Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    I co-sponsored a 31/2 on the holiday several years ago! Some fellows from Phoenix were on the boat all very cool guys! One of the guys wore nothing but red board shorts and a straw hat the whole trip! the weather was nothing but sunshine and warn temps! We drank plenty of beers and had fantastic fishing, yellowfin , bluefin, albacore yellowtail and dorado for everyone except 'red' ! We rolled up on a kelp one afternoon and all hell broke loose! A super nice guy standing next to red tossed a bait out right next to reds and instantly hooked a nice fish and red yells hey fucker that was my fish ! The whole boat erupts in laughter because red is just being his funny self, just a funny carefree guy who says what he says! By the end of the trip red is so red you can't tell where his shorts end and the rest of his body starts and we all toss s fish his way to send him back home with some tasty fish! I've fished with some great guys but red stands out more than the rest!

10. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    I was on that trip and remember Gadget as a real nice guy who was a hoot to fish with. As I remember it was Soda Pop that had to talk him off the ledge when the Clarion crew should up. He really seemed to think we were under attack. If it hadn't been for Dave we might have all ended up in a Mexican jail.

norcaltunaclub and vegasandre like this.
  11. drumford

drumford gotta go babe!

Name:
    Dondo
    Boat:
    Cory's Rig
    Dude's been here six weeks. To busy here to fish, let alone post a report.
    Just observing the obvious.

Wandering Blues likes this.
  12. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    I had to put 2 and 2 together to realize that BBuck Is Bob. I should of known that. How is it going?
    Maybe I will see you guys at the dock Tuesday AM. Think I still owe you some tackle that I "borrowed" from that trip, lol.
    I tried to stay in touch with Gadget but we lost touch. He was awesome.
    Bill Moore was also funny as hell. The amount of coors gold he can drink is astonishing and he is still the nicest guy ever. Remember him helping the crew scrub the decks and everything.
    Man, I love LR fishing.

13. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:

thank you Harry :)

14. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Lighten up France's....Jeff is a real gentleman to fish with. No reason to hurl insults. I think this thread is supposed to be entertaining so it's you that is being "Counter Intuitive."

15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Lawyer Bill, Art Green and Mike Ashford. All three on the same trip. You either had to laugh or light their fuses.

I like Bob Mitchner, smart as a whip. Barks like a drill Sargent, The crew calls him pappy... Always on all trips I go on.

RIP Wireman, a good dude... Only normal if he had a few mouthwashes...

Workplacesafety likes this.
  16. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    We had a father and son team on the Intrepid. Both were lawyers, with thick Bahstan accents, and neither were a hair above 5 foot tall. They were always hooked up and I rued hearing them proclaim "bringin it!!!" every time they were bit. I really wanted to hate them but, they were two of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet and funny as hell.

17. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Hope to see you tues. Andre. The boat will be open as many are spending the night aboard, so come on down!

18. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Oh yeah, I fished a 10 day with him. Drank a case a day, and that was just his own hash tags, not including the beers that others bought for him. Never saw him pass the line from "Tipsy" to "Drunk" though and he knew how to fish. But he wore a tank top and no sunscreen the whole trip and by the end it was tough to tell if he was so red from being flushed or sunburn.

19. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    iu.jpg As long as were fronting off folks who like to drink more than we would consider Bill Moore took me under his wing last April and helped me immensely when I needed some terminal connections help. At times my requests were during hot moments during the fishing day and he was all about helping others and always with a Coors in hand. Ended up gifting him a nice lure case for all his efforts. Making loops for me on several occasions effortlessly, hope to fish with him again someday.
    Whatever happened to Thurston Howell the 3rd from Gilligan's Island fame. Seen some guys who could star in the remake of that show with their own brandy sifters and cut glass drinking apparel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  20. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    2-guns, o-my....then there was Bildo, then that non-male. You bring back some strange memories, better left unsaid.