PENN

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I booked a trip on the Liberty with a newbie friend on 6/12/21 hoping we might find a school of large BFT as they have been doing with some success. Of course there are 1 1/2 day boats but this fit my schedule and a friend who is new to ocean fishing didn’t want to sleep on a overnight or 1 1/2 day boat. We left at about 5:30 headed to the bait receiver picked up some good looking bait. My friend commented “those guys work their a** off”, I said yup those are deckhands. My buddy had rented a light and heavy rig and the deckhands rigged his gear, I had rigged mine so as the boat left the harbor I decided on a nap because its a 2:50 wake up to get there. In a blink I felt the boat slow a little and jumped out of the bunk and saw we were in the zone. It was two hours out of the harbor. We searched for a school of the BFT and hit paddies along the way for bonito most and a smaller amount of yellow tail. It was about midday when we found a school of BFT that stayed up long enough to hook and land 4 school sized fish for the boat, I got 1 of those. That was the high point of the day. The balance of the day was spend looking around an area where other boats were doing the same for the BFT without any success. The skipper pointed the boat back and hit paddies along the way to get some fish in the sacks. I ended up 1 BFT, 1 Yt and 2 bonito. The weather was beautiful and the ride was nice. What’s funny like many when I got the tuna I thought “ oh brother, it’s a little one” but at days end I was thankful. The boat hit the dock about 7 pm and we headed back to OC. The photo is the 70 lber I caught (jk).

DAD8DF5F-EB8B-48C7-BFB0-F921B92B7046.jpeg

Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    I don’t mean to be rude but please can you check your date and confirm if this trip was Sunday, 7/11 or Monday, 7/12?

I was on the boat on Monday and we pulled 50 BFT for 41 anglers. Two stops all day, and both lasted 3+ hours. also my tag number was 5.
    Upvote 0
    Highwayman
    Highwayman
    Hey Tuna Dreamer,
    The trip was 6/12/21 ( June ). Apparently #5 is lucky... I wish I was on your trip with any bag number! Good news is I have another trip with Bight fishing the 21st to give it another shot. May your good luck continue.
    PS. Let's see a pic.....
    Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    Best short ride boat in the fleet hands down. That thing hauls the mail and Taro does not care about fuel savings, he cares about getting you on the fish. And after the remodel that boat is really nice.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Those 70lbers sure seem to be getting smaller, probably bad camera angle with a small tail. One is better than none any day.
    Yup, see (jk) "just kidding". I was going to post a guestimate but decided to post a wishful weight ;-) I may have guessed 25ish. The shot is downwards. Heavy enough where I didn't want to bounce it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tuna Dreamer

SDBAY

Dec 9, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    HANK BRAGG
    Boat
    Seaforth Boat Rental Boats
    I booked a trip on the Liberty with a newbie friend on 6/12/21 hoping we might find a school of large BFT as they have been doing with some success. Of course there are 1 1/2 day boats but this fit my schedule and a friend who is new to ocean fishing didn’t want to sleep on a overnight or 1 1/2 day boat. We left at about 5:30 headed to the bait receiver picked up some good looking bait. My friend commented “those guys work their a** off”, I said yup those are deckhands. My buddy had rented a light and heavy rig and the deckhands rigged his gear, I had rigged mine so as the boat left the harbor I decided on a nap because its a 2:50 wake up to get there. In a blink I felt the boat slow a little and jumped out of the bunk and saw we were in the zone. It was two hours out of the harbor. We searched for a school of the BFT and hit paddies along the way for bonito most and a smaller amount of yellow tail. It was about midday when we found a school of BFT that stayed up long enough to hook and land 4 school sized fish for the boat, I got 1 of those. That was the high point of the day. The balance of the day was spend looking around an area where other boats were doing the same for the BFT without any success. The skipper pointed the boat back and hit paddies along the way to get some fish in the sacks. I ended up 1 BFT, 1 Yt and 2 bonito. The weather was beautiful and the ride was nice. What’s funny like many when I got the tuna I thought “ oh brother, it’s a little one” but at days end I was thankful. The boat hit the dock about 7 pm and we headed back to OC. The photo is the 70 lber I caught (jk).

View attachment 1289483
    Thanks for the post. Great pic, that will taste yummy! Probably a good idea to break in a first time offshore fisherman with a shorter ride. Nice catch.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim Berghauser
    Boat
    Na
    Highwayman, sorry for my confusion on the trip dates. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was on that same trip with you in June and your report is very accurate. I remember fishing with you and your buddy. Plunker bites most of the day and nothing big to note. More of a boat ride that trip….. tight lines my friend! :jig:

Upvote 0