Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
For those of you on the trip that I know, and also for those I haven't had the opportunity to meet as of yet.......may all your wishes and dreams be fulfilled. Go out there and slay your personal best, and then beat that with your next fish. If you are obsessed with Moby Dick, may you be blessed with an encounter, but with happier results than Captain Ahab.

I will be following the reports on Intrepid's website.

Tight lines for everyone and fair winds, following seas.

What he said. Have fun all!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I saw Capt. Ahab post on the politics thread... He usually helms the Pequad out of Nantucket. Whale bone peg leg and a scar across his cheek, Quaker by faith, but turned to the dark side by the likes of a white whale. Did not know he owned a computer.

Reactions: bparker1225
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Wow , what a day for the Intrepid 115 fish! Not cows but that is a lot of fish!

Hi Gang,

We started our trip off today fishing the buffer zone. There was an incredible sign of fish as we engaged with 4 different schools of yellowfin tuna through out the day. The first school we stopped on was the most impressive both with the grade as well as the eagerness of the bite. When the dust had settled we ended up with 53 tuna that were 50 to 80 pounds out of our first stop. The next 3 spots of fish we stopped on had similar results but the grade was more 40 to 70 pounds and the schools didn't keep biting as long as the first one we tried. Late in the afternoon we got on a spot of bigger fish and landed around 14 fish that were 80 to 140 pounds. We did have a larger fish hooked late afternoon that unfortunately got away. We ended up with 115 tuna for the day. Incredible way to start our trip! Most guys were fishing 100# or 130# Soft Steel fluorocarbon and 5/0 ringed Owner Super Mutus or 6/0 ringed Mustad Demon 4X hooks. Our stand outs today included Jim Odlem, Paul Lepore, Ken Houser, Dave Henderson, Phil Williams, David, Fishybuzz, Tang, and Tony Garza. These guys were bit steady most of the day. Craig Chamberlin from Nebraska, on his first ever ocean fishing experience picked up 5 yellowfin tuna to 100 pounds and 1 wahoo. Welcome to San Diego long range Craig! We are staying here tonight. Wish us luck, Bill Cavanaugh and the Intrepid Team

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Saw my friend Jim Odlum got a cow, and the Intrepid site has a fantastic pic of John Filipoff with a biggish tuna too. Maybe bigger than the photo implies...John is a large person!

I'm waiting for the pic with Nebraska holding up a cow tail...

Reactions: Sbebdllh and Brad I
    Upvote 0

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    n/a
    HI JIM; looks like the weather is going to cooperate, like you mentioned if satellite is available and you have the time in between all those cows your catching ,a short thread would be great about what is working and/or any concerns so I'll be more prepared in April on the Indy...Paul

Reactions: Rodless_Jim
    Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Now Jim, do not pick on the vertically challenged...

I wouldn't pick on anyone, and Soda doesn't need defending from me or anyone. He catches a ton of fish, lots of big fish, and he dances like a mad man. Great guy!

His lack of height just skews the perspective of the photo. To put him in perspective, the deckie helping him lift the tail in that photo is Captain Sam Moore. Sam is not a very tall person himself...my best guess is 5' 9"...but he towers over Soda Pop.

The guy I mentioned in a previous post, John Filipoff, is the absolute opposite. His fish photo on the Intrepid website makes it look like he caught a 130-140lber, but given the fact that John is quite a large character, I bet it's closer to 180, or even 190.

Anyway, I'm happy for both of them. Looks like this is turning out to be at least a pretty good trip. Craig must be having the time of his life!

Reactions: Sbebdllh
    Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    Well they're definitely headed back up the line at this point...they're supposed to dock in 48 hours. Boat hasn't posted a report for several days. I hope that just means the internet is down, and they finished with a bang.

Upvote 0