PL_Fisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
Alright; these past couple years I’ve been on the quest for the best 50lb jig stick. It’s been a war of both money and time, and now I seek your help in determining what may be up my street. For starters I’ll list the rods I’ve picked out and how I feel about them:

1: HAX 1009HJ - Cool rod but it was honestly a stiff 40lb rod. I regret trading it as I now lack a 40lb jig stick.

2: HAX 909HJ 30-80 - Cool rod but stiff to load up the smaller jigs, even a Tady 45. Once a bend is put in that rod is feels like a 40lb rod that performs reel well on 20lb tuna.

3: SS 93H - Can do 50lb but it’s a faster action rod that put a ton of strain on me and I felt as if it could more efficient. I could get the rod to load up with 7Xs and bigger jigs like a JRI4 and 5, and a 5X, but my stingers and 45s didn’t like it.

4: RCE 1000 Wahoo - super fast action. I could toss a JRI7 a good distance but holy moly when it came to fish did it feel way to fast.

5: BWCS 100JC - First rod that really clicked with me. Loaded up my small jigs and I could really put a hurt on fish, along with fishing my rods heavier. It’s nice, I could load up my smaller jigs... but when it came to fishing 40lb that was the max before the rod bottomed our. Good 40lb rod, but it did not have the nuts for 50lb:

On to the rods I’ve bought/thinking about.

1: PH 93H - Feels right, but I have yet to put it on the water. What are your experiences with this rod on 50lb maxing out Trinidad’s and Torques with your dragsz

2: BTG 6490H - This rod also feels right, but I’m curious what jigs it will load up. Also If a blank has got a slight curve along the spine how do y’all fix it or just fk it.

3: BWSC 100JC with 6in from the tip -what do y’all think about this rod, I’ve used one but never got a fish on it, throws a jig far but how does it handle fish?

4: BTG 100J - 40lb rod I’m guessing

5: GF 100J - Will it load up the smaller jigs alright?

5: SS Ulua 100-10 - How fast action is this rod and how soft will it be on fish? My SS 93H kinda sucked so I’m curious about this rod.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I’ve fished an RCE wahoo 1000 with a completely buttoned to the max drag with 40lb izor xxx, yes it’s faster than a glass jig stick but I have no problem casting a 45, 7x, JRI 3, or 7 with it. The rod when loaded up on this sort of drag will bend a lot deeper into the blank than you would think, but held up well imho.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I got a Calstar 100j mag, feels like it will do 50 but haven't got to test it on anything substantial yet

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Any 50-lb jig stick will have some trade offs. The biggest one being its ability to load up on smaller jigs. I like my SS Ulua 93H-10 with 2” cut from both ends for 50 lb. The trade off being that it is also my “big jig” rod— I had it built with full size Salas 5Xs in mind. If I’m throwing an A1, or a Tady C, it’s going to be on a different set up with 40 lb.
the BTG6490H you mention sounds like most of the BTGs I’ve come across. Hard to find one that’s not a bit curvy. No way to undo that, but aside from the aesthetics, I do not see any issue when fishing them.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I think you are asking a single rod to do too much. Here the list of what you want a rod to be,
Be about 10 ft.
Rated to 50 lb.
Throw a Tady 45
Throw a Salas 7x
Not too fast
Did I miss anything?
Of all the rods I have tested the one rod that fits most of what you are looking for is a Cal Star 6480.

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
I just finished wrapping a PH93 and while the tip is amazingly whippy and can fling out a 45 and 7x with ease, I dont think it’s a 50lb rod. 40 is its sweet spot. Compared to my UCs, Batsons, and Phenixs, it casts by far the widest range of jigs.

Reactions: PL_Fisherman

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
What's the driver for 50#, anyway? If it's big fish around structure, in my experience, those fish will eat a big jig, no problem. And with that, I'd opt for a lure that's easier to cast and shorter rod for better pulling leverage--it's probably not a longest-of-cast situation, either. I've gone all the way down to 8' and 60lb--and a Tady 14 (not 14A) when the fish and conditions dictated. Again, trade offs all around. You may lose a few feet on the cast, but it's nice to be able to put heat on the fish when hooked up.
For local fishing, 40-lb is nearly always adequate. Just tell yourself it's 50# and pull just as hard! It's amazing how difficult it is to break 40# on a bent jig rod--especially a glass one.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

f1sleepy

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
Escondido
Name
James
Boat
I think you are asking a single rod to do too much. Here the list of what you want a rod to be,
Be about 10 ft.
Rated to 50 lb.
Throw a Tady 45
Throw a Salas 7x
Not too fast
Did I miss anything?
Of all the rods I have tested the one rod that fits most of what you are looking for is a Cal Star 6480.
I use a BTG 6480 as a dedicated 40 lb. rod for chucking iron and love it. I'd feel pretty comfortable fishing 50 lb. if I really felt the need, but I never have. I've caught several 30 + lb. YT down at Cedros that I had to drag up with an extra 50 lbs. of kelp and the rod handled it no problem.

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Oh don't get me wrong I love my 9-foot Jig sticks. But if there's 80 lb tuna around I don't even try but I'm an old fart too..lol

PL_Fisherman

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
Be about 10 ft.
Rated to 50 lb.
Throw a Tady 45
Throw a Salas 7x
Not too fast
Did I miss anything?
Well you can mark off the first note I will say that. Also I don’t recall asking for a 10ft rod, I’m more then happy to trim down a rod or even use a 7 1/2 foot rod. So far the two 8ft rods that I’ve picked out, a TAC 80XH and a 800XH just didn’t load up the jigs I typically throw, which are 7Xs and 45s. Those jigs are only about 3/4oz different in weight.

Also I typically use glass rods (these days) so finding a soft rod isn’t hard. Even a “fast action” glass rod like a 6480 is significantly softer then a BTG 6480 or 800. Guns down please.

Reactions: mike mitchell

PL_Fisherman

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
Oh don't get me wrong I love my 9-foot Jig sticks. But if there's 80 lb tuna around I don't even try but I'm an old fart too..lol
Oh you bet I have fun with it. But at the same time I will rail my rod without hesitation. I’ve got enough time on the water (honestly I learned on my first 100lber) that it’s not worth the back pain.

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Ouch.......... is what your back will say..... so honestly from one back to another OUCH DUDE. Get an PH 93h.... still tho OUŪCHAA. But way nice do to how much it hurts the fish. I love mine because of that.... take your SS but cap off and see what glass your running on that? My SS PH93 (labeled) is essentially a PH93 just dipped. Buts it's all PH green glass besides one little flag of composite. For the look. Side by side my SS PH93 butt looks identical to my brothers green PH 93.

Last edited:

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I got a 93H that's just dipped no flags but I got a 93H greenie with the flags. I don't think they'd be good for 50lb though.
Wasn't the original 550 made for old school rockcod fishing with a bunch of hooks and a 5lb sinker? A giant tip and semi parabolic? Maybe I'm senile

Reactions: mike mitchell

Reginald Laranang

Apr 5, 2014
Fort Campbell, Ky
Name
Reginald
Boat
US Army
I got a 93H that's just dipped no flags but I got a 93H greenie with the flags. I don't think they'd be good for 50lb though.
Wasn't the original 550 made for old school rockcod fishing with a bunch of hooks and a 5lb sinker? A giant tip and semi parabolic? Maybe I'm senile
Swami, think you mean the 775-8. 550 has a 9 Tip. SJ100H seems to fit the bill as a 10ft. All glass jig stick. I have one and its not as heavy as an Ulua.

DB17E884-CBDB-4582-BA74-2DEF0288365F.png

9CFAC987-6070-4B14-A115-A5B90E83EAAF.png
C60BDB25-D2E2-4EBC-A2FC-6194C8246732.jpeg

PL_Fisherman

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
The 550 I pulled on once is easily the heaviest stick I could imagine. If I ever wanted to toss JRI 5s and 5Xs and Papa 7Xs for big fish... I imagine that would be the rod.