The hits keep coming, San Clemente 5-18-2018

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Pablo2fish, May 20, 2018.

1. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    Many of you took the time to read about my epic battle on the Tribute for a Bluefin. I wanted to first thank the BD community for their kind comments. I am one of those anglers that just loves’ to fish. All year round I try to get out on the water every week, even if it’s for just a half-day on the Patriot fishing Sculpin in January. I am sure many of you, like I have had a tough spring season. Some days it feels like the west wind is never going to stop blowing, and the bite is never going to turn on. This week that all finally seems to have come to an end.

On Friday, six days after my trip on the Tribute my good friend and fishing partner Rick invited me to go out on his boat the Carlos Sea. He wanted to go from his slip in Dana Point at 6:30, which seemed a little late, but who am I to complain. We left right on time and stopped at the bait barge for some intel from Jeff and a ½ scoop of some really well-cured Sardines and even a few Anchovy Jeff dug around to get for us. We shot the shit with Jeff about a future trip together on the TBird as soon as the Yellowtail bite turns on at San Clemente Island and then we're off for our own hunt.

Rick had called me on the way down to pick up a bag of ice for the fish box. I told him “What for? I don’t plan on keeping any Calicos, do you? Our expectations are set low which seems realistic considering the water has turned over on the coast once again. We head out of the Harbor and headed south for the Barn Kelp. A friend had surfed Trestles the day before and had told me the water had turned over. Just as expected the water was green and murky again, and was 59 degrees at the Harbor entrance. As we got even with the pier the water had jumped to 60.5 degrees, maybe today would be okay after all. As we neared Cottons point we spotted some splashes and some birds working. As we got closer it was a school of dolphin and a bunch of birds working a bait ball. We set up on a drift just south of them as they appear to be moving that way. I pin a sardine on my light inshore rod, a Cousins SSW 797 XFT 12-20#, coupled with an Avet SX loaded with 50# braid to a 20# Izor XXX top shot of 60 yards, a half ounce sliding egg sinker, and a 1/0 Owner light wire bait hook. I cast out, pay some line, put on the clicker, and put the rod in the rod holder. The Dolphin and birds are now all around us and feeding. I pick up my jig stick and start to throwing a Kicker Jig in Mint Meltdown. I am hoping there is some Yellowtail feeding on this bait ball too. I fish the jig for the next five minutes when Rick calls out that the sonar is showing some good size fish under the boat. Fifteen seconds later the bait rod goes off, and line is peeling off the reel. I quickly finish reeling in my jig, throw the jig stick in the holder and grab the bass rod to set the hook. I get a good hook set and I am on. There is a decent run and some head shakes and it feels like maybe I’ve got a Yellowtail hooked. I’m fishing some pretty light gear so my rod is completely bendo. I look around for the Sea Lion that was just swimming around the boat and ponder whether I should pin the drag some. The Sea Lion is nowhere in sight and I decide it’s best to leave the drag alone. Is it my week or what? I fight the fish for the next 10 to 15 minutes, one trip around the boat and he’s close. Next thing I know he’s under the boat, I put my tip in the water and I call to Rick to put the motor up. Now the fish is at the back of the boat and I’m really glad the motor is up. The fish is at color and coming up. Just like any character ever on Casper I call out “It’s a a a Ghost!”. The fish comes around to the back port corner and Rick gets a perfect gaff shot right in the fish's chin. We get it over the rail and this thing is a toad! I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been. I have a big Bluefin and a big White Sea Bass in the last six days. Am I on a roll or what? On my bad call we have no ice so we decide to make a quick run back to the fuel dock. As long as we’re at the fuel dock might as well weigh this sucker, 48 lbs that’s a personal record for a WSB. We head back out to the same spot off Cottons Point, but end up getting blanked for the rest of the day.

Back at Rick’s his wife Tracy cleans up the filets and cuts them into steaks. We marinade the steaks and throw them on the BBQ. Tracy whips up a great meal while Rick and I down a couple of cold beers from the Kegerator and BBQ the fish. We sit down for a fantastic meal of fresh Sea Bass, man after a crappy spring it’s been a good week!

IMG_4335.JPG IMG_4309.JPG IMG_4321.JPG IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4331.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
  3. 2052Trophy

2052Trophy Ray

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    2601 Striper WA
    Nice ghost!
    Don’t forget the ice next time!!
    Excellent write up!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  4. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    well played !!!!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  5. mkfriedrich

mkfriedrich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    michael friedrich
    Boat:
    Liberty
    Respect. On the 20 pound! Good job sir.

Pablo2fish and One_Leg like this.
  6. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    I'm of the school that says set your drag at a third of the line rating for strike. I don't push to full unless there is kelp, a seal, or some other danger. If the fish breaks me off on some rocks, so be it. I don't want to cause a break off from simply pulling too hard. It's surprising how big some of the fish are that you can get on light line.

7. Michael T.

Michael T. Newbie

Name:
    Michael T.
    Boat:
    Nitro 170 TF
    Well Good for you B.U.F.F.Y..........

8. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Nice fish.
    Watch those Gill rakers, they'll cut the piss outta you.

Blackfish and Pablo2fish like this.
  9. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Wow, good for you! Congrats!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  10. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  11. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    Mr Morgan , you sir are on a roll!!!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  12. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    buy a lotto ticket

Pablo2fish likes this.
  13. bicol47

bicol47 Member

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    NONE
    Wow that's awesome !! Congrats

Pablo2fish likes this.
  14. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Fuck you Paul!!!

Thats one of them i am jealous ''fuck you''s.

15. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Very nice WSB.
    Congrats on your PB :cheers:

Pablo2fish likes this.
  16. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Out-friggin-standing! You are definitely on a roll - what are your lotto number picks?

"Get some ice" "Why?" Lesson learned! :D

Always gotta have at least some ice to keep the beverages cold. Even a little bit put in a baggie and placed on the bled out fish with a wet towel out of the sun will work. I used to do this in my Bayrunner all the time. It will last at least a couple of hours!..

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Pablo2fish and Tailman like this.
  17. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    That's a big ghost, way to go guys!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  18. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    My hero!

Pablo2fish likes this.
  19. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha

Fact is, you put in the time, glad you hung that one

20. sushimi

sushimi Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    Edgewater 175
    That is the reason why we all do what we do.