The groms whacked the right kind today!!

PENN

dorlfof

Sep 21, 2012
newport beach
Name
dave
Boat
parker 2520xld
We left Newport Harbor at 5:30AM with a scoop of REALLY small chovies. Headed to the 14 mile bank and put the trollers in...first YFT hit the Rapala and the skunk was off. The kids were so stoked! About 45 minutes later we land a BFT on the Rapala and couldn't believe we were just outside Newport Beach. We tried to chum up some more fish and couldn't get them to bite. Found one paddy for 2 YT and were still in disbelief. About 1PM we started working our way home and stopped on another paddy for another YFT. Great times had by everyone and can't wait to fish again soon. We lost about 5 fish today too...groms are still learning (and so are the dad's).
IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2442.jpg
IMG_2443.jpg

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Bitchen post...... I dig seeing kids on this stuff.... reminds me of my grom days!!

So check it, this is a perfect post for comparing a Yellowfin and Bluefin side by side. On the last picture showing the two groms holding the tuna, take a look at the pectoral fins on both fish.

The Yellowfin (fish on the right) has a much longer pectoral fin than the bluefin. The Yellowfins pectoral fin should normally be near the starting point of the 2nd dorsal fin.

The Bluefin (fish on the left) clearly has a much shorter pectoral fin, which is far from reaching the starting point of the second dorsal fin.

img_2443-jpg.528159

Shhhhhhhh.........but don't tell the Mexican Navy this! :D

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
Get some shots of them fighting the fish too. Might be hard to do, but they sure are fun to look at later in the future.

Upvote 0