The Good-The Bad The Good-The Bad The Good-The Bad-The Ugly

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Saturday pushed off around 5 AM, planning on heading slightly left and in no big hurry. Cross the 1000, edge of the pocket, thinking about sliding towards the Pinnacle, see plenty of boats that way and instead head further out. Probably out about 17 miles when I get a call on the radio from Russell K; some idle chatter, I hadn't heard too much so couldn't give him much intel, he did share some good info though. Finish our talk and get back to lookin''.

DOINK, stbd rigger goes (The Good) and comes off (chit) (The Bad), climb down from the tower and set it back up. Back in the tower, DOINK, stbd rigger goes, runs pretty good (The Good) and comes off (chit-chit-chit) (The Bad), reel it in, lures OK set it back out. Call Russell on the radio and go to the station we said where we would go (35), I joking tell him, "hey I wanted to talk w/ you because the last time, as soon as we finished, I got bit", tell him approximately where I am at. While talking the stbd rigger goes again (sorry gotta go), this one looks stuck (The Good). Pull back on the throttles, remember 50's spooled w/ 80, can't give these buggas any advantage. Just as I step on to the back deck the Port Rigger goes (not sure if this is good, solo is why), I put more than one lure out, you get what you ask for.

OK time for the Chinese Fire Drill, or maybe as another saying goes; Busier than a one armed paper hanger. Get the boat set up, one engine in gear and heading straight, back deck cleared for action and it looks like the lines are crossed, are you chitting me? Finally get that figured out, moving rods around with 100# plus fish attached, with the boat moving forward at about 2.5 kts, is no fun, OK maybe it is fun from one perspective.

Figure out which fish I want to work on first, gonna take the first one from the rod holder so I can attend to the other rod if needed, no stand up thing for the first guy. Get the first fish close to the boat, gaff and hand gaff at the ready, leader about 6" from the rod tip, fish gives a good tug and HEMO, are you chitting me (The Really Bad). Regain my composure and get geared up for the second fish, take the boat out of gear and this fish is a dick, he will not settle down, so boat back in gear, and finish him off from the rod holder. He is still being a real dick, swimming back and forth maybe moving 40 feet to stbd then to port, F-me.

Maybe 5-10 minutes later he is sensible enough to give up, get leader and he is still not very civil, he gets under the boat and comes back out, he looks different than when he went under, like 2 big gash marks across his back (The Ugly), stbd prop. Another wrap with and in goes the gaff, it's not over yet. Even though I have a door, it is not the easiest when the angler/crew/captain is spent. Take a break for a couple minutes, stick a hand gaff in his mouth and slide him thru the door (The GOOD). The pose w/ the fish is hiding the prop strikes
ahi 062516 backdeckI.jpg

Set back up, found some porpoise, stayed w/ them for awhile and headed in, got in around 2PM, early day for Kai'Nana. Slip neighbor Greg was around so he gave a hand, left the fish in the box until Sunday. Went down there mid day and cut him up, considering the prop strikes, didn't loose much meat.
ahi lures 062516.jpg

The top lure had 3 bites, Miracle Lure, the bottom had one bite Paris Lure.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

Surfdawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Pat, you are crushing it! So I think that is 3 weekends in a row, very cool! Congrats on your "ugly" fish!!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Kai Nana still attracting the yellows. Was that a new way to kill the fish, hah hah! Told Russ that I was going out but storming in the valley so didn't go. Good thing,instead made a short trip to the store and van alternator fried and killed battery, also ignition switch broke. Would have been stuck on the road with fried alt., dead battery and a boat in tow. Definitely no good just the bad and the ugly.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Pat, Congrats on the one that finally stuck! At least in your "The Good, the bad ..........and the ugly" you ended up with a "not so ugly"! I can't say the same...my story was "The Bad, the badder, the worst! Wasn't my day...that's fishing!

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Pat, you really are the most consistent ahi fisherman I know of in Waianae. Congratulations on yet another nice tuna in the box!

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
capt pat ... just love to read your adventures there's sooo much excitement! .... thanks for sharing and especially your daily catch reports at the block are very helpful ... you da man capt pat! :hali_olutta: mahalo always, pete:-)

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Nice job again Pat. Hope to be out there this weekend.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Great job again Pat, good thing you're all healed up and ready for battle:)

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Saturday pushed off around 5 AM, planning on heading slightly left and in no big hurry. Cross the 1000, edge of the pocket, thinking about sliding towards the Pinnacle, see plenty of boats that way and instead head further out. Probably out about 17 miles when I get a call on the radio from Russell K; some idle chatter, I hadn't heard too much so couldn't give him much intel, he did share some good info though. Finish our talk and get back to lookin''.

DOINK, stbd rigger goes (The Good) and comes off (chit) (The Bad), climb down from the tower and set it back up. Back in the tower, DOINK, stbd rigger goes, runs pretty good (The Good) and comes off (chit-chit-chit) (The Bad), reel it in, lures OK set it back out. Call Russell on the radio and go to the station we said where we would go (35), I joking tell him, "hey I wanted to talk w/ you because the last time, as soon as we finished, I got bit", tell him approximately where I am at. While talking the stbd rigger goes again (sorry gotta go), this one looks stuck (The Good). Pull back on the throttles, remember 50's spooled w/ 80, can't give these buggas any advantage. Just as I step on to the back deck the Port Rigger goes (not sure if this is good, solo is why), I put more than one lure out, you get what you ask for.

OK time for the Chinese Fire Drill, or maybe as another saying goes; Busier than a one armed paper hanger. Get the boat set up, one engine in gear and heading straight, back deck cleared for action and it looks like the lines are crossed, are you chitting me? Finally get that figured out, moving rods around with 100# plus fish attached, with the boat moving forward at about 2.5 kts, is no fun, OK maybe it is fun from one perspective.

Figure out which fish I want to work on first, gonna take the first one from the rod holder so I can attend to the other rod if needed, no stand up thing for the first guy. Get the first fish close to the boat, gaff and hand gaff at the ready, leader about 6" from the rod tip, fish gives a good tug and HEMO, are you chitting me (The Really Bad). Regain my composure and get geared up for the second fish, take the boat out of gear and this fish is a dick, he will not settle down, so boat back in gear, and finish him off from the rod holder. He is still being a real dick, swimming back and forth maybe moving 40 feet to stbd then to port, F-me.

Maybe 5-10 minutes later he is sensible enough to give up, get leader and he is still not very civil, he gets under the boat and comes back out, he looks different than when he went under, like 2 big gash marks across his back (The Ugly), stbd prop. Another wrap with and in goes the gaff, it's not over yet. Even though I have a door, it is not the easiest when the angler/crew/captain is spent. Take a break for a couple minutes, stick a hand gaff in his mouth and slide him thru the door (The GOOD). The pose w/ the fish is hiding the prop strikes
View attachment 771925
Set back up, found some porpoise, stayed w/ them for awhile and headed in, got in around 2PM, early day for Kai'Nana. Slip neighbor Greg was around so he gave a hand, left the fish in the box until Sunday. Went down there mid day and cut him up, considering the prop strikes, didn't loose much meat.
View attachment 771926
The top lure had 3 bites, Miracle Lure, the bottom had one bite Paris Lure.

Cheers
Pat
Aloha Captain Pat,
Yet again killing it!! Awesome Job out there, I actually was out there that day listening to you and Capt. Russ, I wanted to jump in but really had nothing to report.:( I am glad you caught always good to hear a great captain landing one. No joy for me all day kinda in a cold streak hope to shake it soon LOL. Anyway keep on killing it out there Pat, next time I see you out there I will give you a call if your not fighting fish:)
Aloha Spens

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat, you are crushing it! So I think that is 3 weekends in a row, very cool! Congrats on your "ugly" fish!!
Thanks Mike, I'm thinking this bunch of fish should be over on your side by now, not sure how good the winds will be this weekend.

Kai Nana still attracting the yellows. Was that a new way to kill the fish, hah hah! Told Russ that I was going out but storming in the valley so didn't go. Good thing,instead made a short trip to the store and van alternator fried and killed battery, also ignition switch broke. Would have been stuck on the road with fried alt., dead battery and a boat in tow. Definitely no good just the bad and the ugly.
Thanks Steven, wow that is a good thing you weren't hauling the boat over.

Pat, Congrats on the one that finally stuck! At least in your "The Good, the bad ..........and the ugly" you ended up with a "not so ugly"! I can't say the same...my story was "The Bad, the badder, the worst! Wasn't my day...that's fishing!
Thanks Russ, it sure does suck when you are on that side of the LUCK fence, next time you'll get them.

Pat, you really are the most consistent ahi fisherman I know of in Waianae. Congratulations on yet another nice tuna in the box!
Thanks Todd, I'll take luck and happen-stance all day every day, when ever the Big Guy is offering it up.

1 out of 2 solo on a double is damn good, prop hits or not.
Well done.
Thanks Mike, I did make a slight change to the lure that missed the 3 fish including the one boat side.

capt pat ... just love to read your adventures there's sooo much excitement! .... thanks for sharing and especially your daily catch reports at the block are very helpful ... you da man capt pat! :hali_olutta: mahalo always, pete:-)
Thanks Pete, glad it helps.

Pat,

You rock ! 'Nuff said...
Thanks Marc, give a shout the next time you are headed out.

Solo missions yield the best stories, Nice fish in the boat! Congrats Pat
Thanks Tommy.

Pat,
Haven't been on BD for awhile due to work, but awesome action by yourself, way to go.
Good going.
Thanks Dave, hoping you get some free time from work in the near future.

Nice job again Pat. Hope to be out there this weekend.
Thanks Chuck, maybe I'll see you out there.

Great job again Pat, good thing you're all healed up and ready for battle:)
Thanks Kalani, everything worked pretty well, hand was sore afterwards.

Aloha Captain Pat,
Yet again killing it!! Awesome Job out there, I actually was out there that day listening to you and Capt. Russ, I wanted to jump in but really had nothing to report.:( I am glad you caught always good to hear a great captain landing one. No joy for me all day kinda in a cold streak hope to shake it soon LOL. Anyway keep on killing it out there Pat, next time I see you out there I will give you a call if your not fighting fish:)
Aloha Spens
Thank Spens, it can turn in the blink of an eye, next time will be your time!!!

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Good going Pat!! Han Solo and multiple strikes = guy in top shape!! Thought on a whale was chomping on your fish!! That would foreals be an "Oh chit!!"

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Good job on the solo mission and thanks for giving #parislures water time!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good going Pat!! Han Solo and multiple strikes = guy in top shape!! Thought on a whale was chomping on your fish!! That would foreals be an "Oh chit!!"
Thanks Jason, for sure prop, he was about 8 feet down, slide under the boat and came back out with 2 very clear prop strikes across his upper back.

Good job on the solo mission and thanks for giving #parislures water time!
Thanks Brian, sorry to say I lost that lure yesterday, broke line on the run.

Cheers
Pat