I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 18, 2012
tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
Name
Harbison
Boat
Florida Fisherman
The Future of our Sport
For over seventy years I have been absolutely spellbound by the woods and waters of our tropical wonderland. Still after all this time there is no place I would rather be than on the water or in the woods.
But things are different now. The endless miles of lush grass-flats are no more. The fields I once hunted are now covered with asphalt, skyscrapers or thousands of homes.
Florida is now the third most populous state in the entire country. Can we still find quality fishing and hunting?
What is The Future of our Sport? Do we have a future?
Will our children and our children's children still be, 'spellbound by the woods and waters of our tropical wonderland?
The answer lies in our children. After all, they will be the caretakers of fishing and hunting for decades to come.
How are they doing?
Perry Florida's Woods'nWater Magazine has been bringing us 'family-value' for 44 years.
Through the pages of the November 2021 issue we see that our 'caretakers' are doing a fantastic job.
The future of our sport is in good hands:

credits
Woods'nWater Magazine
Our Children

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    The Future of our Sport
    For over seventy years I have been absolutely spellbound by the woods and waters of our tropical wonderland. Still after all this time there is no place I would rather be than on the water or in the woods.
    But things are different now. The endless miles of lush grass-flats are no more. The fields I once hunted are now covered with asphalt, skyscrapers or thousands of homes.
    Florida is now the third most populous state in the entire country. Can we still find quality fishing and hunting?
    What is The Future of our Sport? Do we have a future?
    Will our children and our children's children still be, 'spellbound by the woods and waters of our tropical wonderland?
    The answer lies in our children. After all, they will be the caretakers of fishing and hunting for decades to come.
    How are they doing?
    Perry Florida's Woods'nWater Magazine has been bringing us 'family-value' for 44 years.
    Through the pages of the November 2021 issue we see that our 'caretakers' are doing a fantastic job.

credits
    Woods'nWater Magazine
    Our Children
    YEP WE in California face many of the same
    growth problems, and Marine Closure Areas, etc. More people, more boats, more stress. Same with hunting and areas. =GROWTH.
    In my 70's I've been lucky to fish wherever
    whenever I wanted to most of my life.
    It will never be the same anywhere. Hang in there....enjoy your days on the water!!

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

DeeDee

Mar 18, 2012
    tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
    Name
    Harbison
    Boat
    Florida Fisherman
    When I was growing up, forties, fifties, sixties there was virtually no fish management.
    Now, with the population explosion, fishery management is ongoing. Like it? NO WAY!
    But it must be if fishing is to survive.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    When I was growing up, forties, fifties, sixties there was virtually no fish management.
    Now, with the population explosion, fishery management is ongoing. Like it? NO WAY!
    But it must be if fishing is to survive.
    There was "no fish management" during your days of youth.

Could that be a contributing part of the problem. How many pics from when you "were growing up" show piles and piles of dead fish, stacks of animals that were hunted (commercial and rec). No bag limit, no size limit, no season.

I am not bashing your generation, but maybe your generation is part of the reason we have certain restriction and low stocks of some species. Sure growth and loss of habit, and pollution are part of it, but back in the "olden days" it was kill kill kill.

Upvote 0

DeeDee

Mar 18, 2012
    tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
    Name
    Harbison
    Boat
    Florida Fisherman
    Unfortunately I must agree with you. We would be much better off today if we have had strict management back in the "olden days."
    A good example is Kingfish. Started Kingfishing in the early sixties. Many times we caught over 100 a day thee miles off Clearwater, Florida. The schools were so huge the thinking of the time was they could NEVER be destroyed... WRONG!
    We, me included, wiped them out. Today, due to strict regulations, they, and many other species, have come back strong.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Nov 28, 2003
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Unfortunately I must agree with you. We would be much better off today if we have had strict management back in the "olden days."
    A good example is Kingfish. Started Kingfishing in the early sixties. Many times we caught over 100 a day thee miles off Clearwater, Florida. The schools were so huge the thinking of the time was they could NEVER be destroyed... WRONG!
    We, me included, wiped them out. Today, due to strict regulations, they, and many other species, have come back strong.
    Thank you for your input and your honesty Bob.
    You're a great steward for Florida.

Upvote 0