I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
BDers,
I just recently learned, by reading old posts here, that the Qualifier105 ws no longer a LR boat. From what I could glean from Google, she was sold in around 2012? to some company in Alaska.

My FIRST trip on something other than a 3/4 day boat, or the Redondo barge, was on the predecessor of the Q105 called the Q95 in 1964. I had saved enough money from my paper route and mowing lawns to go out on a overnight Albie trip. Knowing absolutely nothing, I still managed to hook and catch 3 albies. The swells that day were 8 to 12 feet. There were times when you could see the albie you were fighting in the swell over your head.....honest. I never got seasick, and I thought all tuna trips were like that. I was in absolute heaven. I was a poor kid with a single Mom, and we made very good use of that tuna.

Fast forward 36 years. Wifeo gave me a slightly belated (and long dreamed of) 50th birthday LR trip, as long as she could come and fish too ( :-) ). Of course we went on the now larger Q105. And instead of bunks, they had "staterooms"...whooohooo. We took several trips on the Q105 over the next few years, and always had nice trips. One of my memories was going up to the bridge, and talking with John Klein. I couldn't stay long, because I couldn't BREATHE! Holy Smokes (slight pun, sorry) the guy was a living smokestack. He knew his fishing, but my Gawd, did he chainsmoke.

Anyhow, my research on google and here never said WHY the Q105 was sold. DId Klein retire, and sold her to get retirement money? Did she finally get too old and needed so much repair it wasn't economic to keep her? I KNOW that someone here on BD knows the story, and if you had the time, I'd love to hear it.

There is a saying: "You always remember your first." I think it's not only true for #$#&*%, but also for your first long range experience. The Q wasn't the fanciest LR boat out there, but she could fish. To me, she rode really well.

Thanks for the info.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Could not pass the CG inspection as a passenger vessel.

themacs

Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
We saw just outside Gig Harbor a few years ago. Just BEAUTIFUL. Of course we only saw the outside but I'm pretty sure she is just fine! Great memories on her.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Working as a contract vessel out of Homer. See it nearly every time I am down there.

Reactions: Cubeye

Luv2Fish

Apr 30, 2004
Chino Hills,CA
Name
Mike Shirer
Boat
Intrepid
I too was a huge fan of the qualifier and had the opportunity to fish with some of best crews out there. What I loved most about the Qualifier was the ride and how low to the water she would ride.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Saw it on the show Big Fix Alaska. I think they were working on the generator. The boat was great. Downstairs was kind of a maze, but had a restroom. The oven was big enough that every table was served a turkey on longer trips on the last day. A crew member would serve each table.

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
I googled that for you: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/from-the-horses-mouth-q105.441439/

HuckLF,
Thanks for the link. I clearly am incompetent in searching..,geez. I didn't realize how messed up the situation was.

I am really sad to read about what happened. It's a crummy way for a great old boat to end it's long range career, and I feel bad for all the folks who lost their money. We saved all year for our trip, it woulda been a real hit.

Well, at least I have my memories of better times. The trip in 2001 on the Q (called FishFest 2001 or FF01 for short) was the single best LR trip I (we) ever took, tho every trip was wonderful on every boat. What a privilege to be out on the ocean and be able to fish for 8 days.

The Q used a specific type of disinfectant to clean the boat before each trip. It wasn't overpowering, but you could smell it in the stateroom. Whenever I smell something today that is similar, even after all these years, it brings back memories of the Q trips. Wierd, but it happens.....

Again, Huck, thanks for the info. Cheers.

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Quinonez,
Thanks for that Pic. Quite a few changes from her LR days.

Hey, what were you doing in Homer? Going fishing, by any chance? I heard they have some nice halibuts up there. You have a post telling about your trip?

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Hey, Pirateman (yeah, rrd8m8e....I remember that.)
How you doin'? Yep it's me, it the ole fart hisself. Had to use a new name, hence the "2". (Had been on BD years ago as Oldtimer, but couldn't remember my old password. Heck, sometimes I can't remember what I'm doing just 5 min........Eh? What was I saying?)

You still fishin? Still causin' trouble?
Take care.

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I really miss the old girl. Lots of great memories. Jeff, Rodney, Bob Harris, Riverboat Mike, Travis 1&2, Cal, all really good people and fishermen! John is still down at the docks once in a while from what Ive been told. I miss him and Dena as well.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Did 90% of all my LR trips on the Q over the course of 10 years. 2-3 trips a year. 2 short trips and a 10 day in the fall. Most of my PB fish were caught on her.
Sad when I heard what happened. Funny, I just got back from a 7 day on the Royal Star and Brian Simms was running the trip, he captained on the Q for a few years.
I posted a couple of months ago that I saw the Q on a hunting show where the hosts chartered her for a run to the Aleutians for some rare deer, I saw her in the background in a bay.
Anyone remember The annual Asshole Invitational? (AHI Invitational)
Always picked someone for the asshole of the trip that got the coveted Pope's Nose necklace from the turkey dinner.
Interesting, the Q's name is still on the door at the landing but the 1 and 5 are missing (Q 0)

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
A post mentioned Dena. She was the nicest person you could hope to meet. One year we couldn't make the full deposit, and she let us put what we could, then sent the rest each month until we had it covered. Not many companies then, or now, had staff that seemed to really care about customers.

I hope she came out ok in the disaster. Anybody know what happened to her?

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Hey, Pirateman (yeah, rrd8m8e....I remember that.)
How you doin'? Yep it's me, it the ole fart hisself. Had to use a new name, hence the "2". (Had been on BD years ago as Oldtimer, but couldn't remember my old password. Heck, sometimes I can't remember what I'm doing just 5 min........Eh? What was I saying?)

You still fishin? Still causin' trouble?
Take care.
OT...."There goes the Darkside of fishing...." Classic...and started a "clique" of great friendships and family. And BTW....fish4america.org after Sept. 11, 2001.

How is your wifeo....?

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Did 90% of all my LR trips on the Q over the course of 10 years. 2-3 trips a year. 2 short trips and a 10 day in the fall. Most of my PB fish were caught on her.
Sad when I heard what happened. Funny, I just got back from a 7 day on the Royal Star and Brian Simms was running the trip, he captained on the Q for a few years.
I posted a couple of months ago that I saw the Q on a hunting show where the hosts chartered her for a run to the Aleutians for some rare deer, I saw her in the background in a bay.
Anyone remember The annual Asshole Invitational? (AHI Invitational)
Always picked someone for the asshole of the trip that got the coveted Pope's Nose necklace from the turkey dinner.
Interesting, the Q's name is still on the door at the landing but the 1 and 5 are missing (Q 0)
The Asshole Invitational is now an 8 day trip on the Polaris Supreme. They just got back yesterday.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
There were times when you could see the albie you were fighting in the swell over your head.....
Seen that before 💪

If you don't already have it :)Tunabelly has the mother load of good time pics

111990-1110838298-61ad162a480008af0879f5283bdb7b57.jpg

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
How was the trip?
I was on it the last two years but was too busy at work to make it this year. The reports painted a pretty decent trip with mixed bags. Nice wahoo, 30-40lb yft, and some decent YT. I haven't talked to my buddy who was on the trip yet, but he sent me a picture of offloading and there were also some nice bottom fish mixed in with the pelagics.

Reactions: Cubeye