anykine77

Almost A Member
Dec 7, 2005
Waianae Hawaii
Name
Ron
Boat
28' Custom-Anykine
Decided to try our luck on Saturday. I heard the tournament was happening so left just a little earlier than usual. Turned into to the harbor to see the boats are in line out to road. Oh well get setup and get in line line to launch. Headed straight out before the tournament started. Just past the pinnacle took a solid knockdown on the long rigger. Saw the fish jumping and shaking it's head. Marlin on. Worked the fish in and grabbed the leader coming up nice. Friend got the gaff and got a little anxious and gaffed the marlin in the back. I let the leader go to get another gaff and the marlin said not so fast and went wild before I could get another gaff in it and took the first gaff with it on the run. One gaff gone. The hook was solidly set so we worked the fish back in. Right along side the boat as we are getting set to grab the leader again it dives and go straight under the boat and comes up on the other side and the line cuts. Damn no fish and lost a gaff.

Get lines set again and time to keep hunting. See some birds in the distance with the binos and head that way. 27 at 80. Just get to the birds and take a triple strike. Reels are screaming. Game on. We know what these are. Clear the other lines and start working. 1 pole stands up. Oh well still got 2 on. working both fish and get 1 in the boat and start on the second one. This one decides to take another run and then the pole stands up. Looks like another fish decided to hit the lure on the run because the line was cut at the swivel.
image1.jpeg

Get lines set again and come right through area and take a 4 banger. WTF!!. Clear the other 3 line and get to work. 2 guys and 4 reels screaming. We each worked the 2 closest fish. Get one to leader and sink the gaff. Get it in the boat and keep working on the other 3. Get the next fish to leader sink the gaff and get it in the boat.
image0.jpeg

2 fish left and us two tired old fucks blowing smoke. Back to work slowly and one pole stands up. Work the last fish in get the leader and sink the gaff. Get it in the boat take take a breather. 4 Ahi in the boat.
Started head back in to the harbor. Just set 3 line and bingo the outrigger comes down and then nothing for about 3-4 seconds and then the run started. Ok back to work. Work the fish almost up to leader and then the hook lets loose. Oh well.
Continue to head in and didn't set lines for the ride home. The ride home was a little bumpy but we didn't care. Got in about 5:20pm.
image4.jpeg

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Wow, super-duper day! Great work and way to represent the old guys; you guys are tough! Too bad you weren't in the tournament; you'd have raked in the buck$! By yourselves you got almost as many ahi as the whole tournament. And if you'd hung onto the marlin, and were in the tourney, you might've took that category too. But four ahi (almost seven!) is better than a marlin any day. Good going, congratulations!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Ron and crew,
Awesome day for sure, we all wish for those days, but we also know they are few and far between. It also keeps us going "huntin' for the dream"! Good goin' you 2.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0

anykine77

Almost A Member
Dec 7, 2005
Waianae Hawaii
Name
Ron
Boat
28' Custom-Anykine
Thanks guys.
I thought about days like this before and it finally happened to us. I was beginning to wonder if this season was almost over, but I haven't heard anything about eggs dropping. We had 2 males and 2 females. The females still had eggs ready to go.
Hopefully they'll come in and give us all a good week or 2 before leaving.
I thought the tournament but the previous one was limited to boats 26' and under. I didn't know they opened it up this time.

Aloha.

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Great job. It's tough to be in the right place at the right time - doesn't happen very often.

Upvote 0