I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 12, 2004
Ocean Beach - SD
www.fairwindsca.com
Name
Sal
Boat
2005 Grady White 180 Fisherman
Decided to take lunch on the water today and eat my sandwich somewhere with a view. My buddy Vince thought that was a great idea as well. So we picked up a half scoop of bait and headed off Point Loma to the 40-60ft area. The first hour or two was quite slow with only a couple little flat ones. Well I guess Big Momma felt like a sardine lunch too. First strike she bit and spit, so i quickly re-dropped the bait and she went for it again. This time the #2 hook stuck. Didn't think it was a flattie at first until we saw color. Vince made the first gaff shot count thankfully as she was hooked inside the gumline with 15lb flouro leader. Even the dogs are getting halibut tonight. 42.3 pounds on the scale. Anyone know the easiest way to remove and boil out the jaws without boiling the entire head and gill plate?

bigflattie2017.jpg

Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
dang! slabber! nice work. not sure about boiling, but you could go easy route and bury it for a couple months if you have a space where critters won't dig her up. good for the garden soil too.

Reactions: gonsurfn
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I have had good luck cutting out the jaws then low boil until flesh and skin separates then soak in peroxide to whiten!! Good luck.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    So jealous man!! Lookin forward to catching a big daddy like that one day. That is going to fill the frezer for sure. What a nice day to have lunch on the water. It seems like the big ones get caught when we least expect it. Atta Boy!!!!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Beautiful fish, and a PIG at that, great job on the picture while she still had her colors.
    Hold that fish up would'ya. SWEET!

DO NOT forget the cheeks, on that girl man they'll be the size of Ab steaks.
    Sure hate to see that go to waste, probably 60 dollars worth of Sashimi there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

luxembourger

USCG 100GT Captain
    Apr 27, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    Capt Max
    Boat
    "MAD MAX" Contender 39 Tournament
    Nice one Sal!!!