SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
went out today 7-18. Ran through the 182 with life starting to show.. a few birds, paddys, and the occasional mark.. no one was home.. made my way to the corner and appearently all the breezers in the pacific where there. If bill gates threw a nickle at each bait ball, his arm would fall off and he would be broke.. worked the 43 and headed south in search for cleaner h20... water temps from 70-73.. wind picked up as usual but I had a great time out... minus the fish... good luck guys. I'm going to give it a go again thurs...

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Bait sticks had 60/30, 60/20 2/0 circles.. threw flat falls, surface and candy bar irons, trolled feathers and cedar plugs.. bait from mb was small dines and a few macs.. maybe Thursday I should try salmon eggs and power bait..

seymour

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 15, 2008
so. cal
Name
seymour
Boat
fins
so you saw breezing tuna at the corner or just bait? I am a little bit confused

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Bait sticks had 60/30, 60/20 2/0 circles.. threw flat falls, surface and candy bar irons, trolled feathers and cedar plugs.. bait from mb was small dines and a few macs.. maybe Thursday I should try salmon eggs and power bait..
Saw u guys heading out just after getting bait. Boat looks nice!!

Reactions: Pgnracr

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
Are you sure you know what "breezing" tuna look like? It is one of the hardest signs to notice. It usually looks like a wind mark on the water but something is just not right with the angle of the mark and the angle of the wind. Often the size of the waves will exceed the abiltiy of the wind to produce those waves. Often the "breezing" mark will move quicker than the wind would do so or in a direction that is different from with the breeze. Sometimes a breezer of tuna is in transition to either "sinking out" (going down) or coming up to "puddle" (almost have their noses at the surface and nearly break water) or even turn into "busting fish" (fish breaking the surface chasing bait every so often in a confined area" or a "foamer" (a full-on frenzy of breaking tuna often mixed with whirling and diving birds and other sea life). Bait breezers look similar to tna breezers but on a much smaller scale and usually do not disipate like a school of larger fish if you get close. Bait breezers do not normally include birds unless big predators are in pursuit. Once the wind kicks up breezers can be tough to spot. I would guess that half of what I think might be a breezer aren't, but the good news is that the other half are and we are finding gamefish. If you are offshore and see anything that looks unusual it probably is and is worth a second or third hard look. The more time you spend activley looking at the water the better you will become at seeing signs of fish.

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
I saw breezing bait, and a ton of it.

Casey, I think we got a lil close on our way out, just read your post killer fuel milage!

Chuck great description, the water conditions were perfect yesterday am to spot tuna freezers, however I we saw was bait. thanks for the input

JACKPOTER

Nov 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
bait on bait on bait yesterday...skipped over 100 miles boxing the 43 and corner...saw 2 single jumpers 5 miles NNW of the 43 and lots of giant kelps. We stayed dedicated to the kite with no joy.

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
I saw breezing bait, and a ton of it.

Casey, I think we got a lil close on our way out, just read your post killer fuel milage!

Chuck great description, the water conditions were perfect yesterday am to spot tuna freezers, however I we saw was bait. thanks for the input
"Tuna Freezers" don't move much, and have like a plastic film on the outside.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Good report, even better replys.....

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Are you sure you know what "breezing" tuna look like? It is one of the hardest signs to notice. It usually looks...
Thanks for the post describing the difference between breezing, puddling, busting, and foaming. I hope I wasnt the only guy that didnt know the difference.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
we were out there yesterday too. Insane amounts of bait. Spots of breezers everywhere, most with no fish chasing them. Had a blind strike on yft troll. Then saw a gigantic spot of busting Bluefin spread out all over, on the micro chovie. Hooked a jumbo on popper that spit out, and boated a 35lb'r on long soak bait. A few YT and a dodo on paddies too. Nasty, hot green water.

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Yesterday was calm enough in many places to make out bait on the surface. They look like a small patch of darker, disturbed water moving in the middle of smooth, glass water. I agree that they can be hard to distinguish from wind waves... When there is wind. Probably the reason many people are reporting about them just now. It's not just there's a sudden rise of bait; it's that they're suddenly able to see them.