The Chief

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Ripnsumlip, May 18, 2016.

1. Ripnsumlip

Ripnsumlip Hooooook upppppp!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Hey all,

A few friends and I were interested in jumping on a 2-3 dayer this summer. One of the boats came up in our conversation. I was wondering if any of you have fished the " Chief ". I am very interested in hearing your opinions whether good or bad. How does it ride, the crew, the food ??? You know, that kind of info.

The last and only multi day trip I went on was the Polaris Supreme maaaany years ago. That was an unbelievable trip for me.

Anyway, we plan on booking a trip by the end of the week. Your comments will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    Chris Randall is one of the best skippers fishing the local waters out of San Diego. He ran the Indian for many years and I have fished with him dozens of times. He will work hard to put you on fish. The Chief is the old Big Game 90. They have had the boat for 4 or 5 years now and have been doing a lot of work on it. The galley has been redone and they did a lot of other work on the boat. The food is usually pretty good and the crew is good. There are a lot of extra bunks below so you have room to store your bags etc. They often take 28 to 32 people but the boat is 90 feet long and there is a lot of fishing room. The boat may not be real fancy but for me the most important thing is a good hardworking skipper who knows how to catch fish.

jer dog and bparker1225 like this.
  3. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    ^^^Agree 100%

4. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Hi Mike,

I'm not worried about a fancy boat. I am more interested in a stable fishing platform and a Captain and crew.
    Thanks you for your help.

Paul

5. fighingrjo

fighingrjo paid my taxes

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    The Chief is a very stable platform for fishing, and Capt Randal has made a lot of improvements to it for comfort as well. I have fished the Chief a few times, and am on a 3 day in late summer. I have fished with Capt many times, and he is all about being helpful, courteous, and fishing hard, and requires teh same of his crew.

6. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Thank you Bill.....

7. Vibora

Vibora Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Yes
    I have fished with Chief a few times and wouldn't hesitate to fish it again. They work hard to put you on fish. If you search, you can even find posts on this forum from Chris himself.
    You really won't know until you go yourself though. All opinions are subjective and such.

Let us know how it goes.

8. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Hey Ryan, I PM'd you. Thanks for the info as well.....