Start Me Up Sportfishing

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
5/25 we (The Captain aka Nerlie and I) knew the winds were gonna be light so we said lets go huntin’… Pushed off early enough to get a few Akule, some we kept alive just in case. Headed pretty much West, at about 20 miles had a doubles, one broke off, must have been a knick in the line as I had recently rebuilt that reel and replaced the line, the other one just came off.
Crossed the 1500 then the 2000 and the 2500 at that point we said we were on our way to Kauai but needed to be back at the house that evening, guess we better turn around. Just after we got on the shallow side of the 2500 the port rigger went and went it did, I reely like blind strikes.
DSCF0507.JPG

The Captain looks after keeping the Kai’Nana doing what she is supposed to do, the crew (me) clear lines and get to angle our somewhat early visitor. She ran hard but didn’t fight too hard, get her to leader, I leader, Nerlie buries the gaff I follow w/ a second.
DSCF0538.JPG

5/26 I had looked for a crew, but not too hard, so figured I’d go it alone. When we were out on 5/25 Nerlie had asked some questions that made me believe she was considering going, by the time we got home Sunday night she asked if she could go, not only yes, but hell yes.
We did not plan on getting out there too early, we passed S buoy around 5:30am. Just before the 1000 the center went, ran a little and came off, then the stbd rigger released, never even bent the rod over.
Our intention was to get off the water mid day, hung around with all the other boats until late in the morning, then headed toward the 1000. Saw some indications of wind to the south so we head that way, the water is flat calm.
As we are cruising that way, see a small boat maneuvering and then see some birds. Keep heading towards them (Nerlie and I are in the tower) when the port corner goes. As I am making my way to the back deck I hear Nerlie say marlin. Sure enough and it looks like a good one.
DSCF0520.JPG

The fish grabbed the Makaira 50 spooled w/ 600 yds 130 JB hollow topped w/ 250 yds of 100# Momoi Diamond. Lucky for us, not so lucky for the fish. She took quite a bit of line; Nerlie did a great job of handling the boat while I cleared lines and got set up. Backed down on the fish until we got the back to the splice, and then went dead stick until we had her close, then put one engine in gear.
Got the bang stick set up, gaffs at the ready, can see the fish and she is a good one. I undo the harness and grab the rod to set it in the rod holder when I hear SNAP!!!! The rod breaks, fortunately the line did not come in contact w/ the broken piece. I hand line the last couple of feet to get to leader. Nerlie is at the ready.
DSCF0528.JPG

Grab the leader the bugga is tuggin’ hard. Finally get close enough for Nerlie to let her have it w/ the bang stick, but nothing happens (misfire). The fish is pretty quiet so decide to bury the gaff and surprisingly the fish is done. Pull her thru the door and give a sigh of relief, we worked pretty hard to get this one. I think the rod broke because I probably reached up higher than I should have when trying to transfer from my belt to the rod holder. Another interesting point; the lure is a fat 7” Tsutomu from Garrett that I had broken about a month ago when I boated a spearfish. I glued it back together and it has been very active ever since.
DSCF0535.JPG

DSCF0542.JPG

Without the Captain I couldn’t do the things I do. Without the Kai’Nana we couldn’t do the things we do.
Aloha
Pat

Upvote 0

hiroshi808

Nov 2, 2010
Kauai
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hiroshi
Way to go! You guys sure travel far to find fish. Could you see kauai, when you were at the 2500 mark?
Sometimes we go on 1500-2000, but not in that far reach. Lucky for us, we don't need to go that far. I know some guys travel to that dog mouth from kauai. Far journey.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Oh yea and the Hawaiian Blessing (rain) we got when we were headed back in late Sunday. One of the lightning strikes had to of been very close, instantaneous lightning and an unbelievably deafening clap of thunder, literally had short term hearing loss. I think the big guy upstairs was keeping an eye on us.
DSCF0514.JPG

Puttin' the lures away.
DSCF0517.JPG

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Good weekend for the Kai Nana! Congrats, Nerlie and Pat!

I caught two goose eggs on Sunday. Couldn't find many signs of life out there.

Gotta hand it to you.......you always find the fish!

Upvote 0

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
Awesome Job Pat!!! You guys are loading em up!! Good going on your fish, You and the Capt. will have a great year this year!!!

Upvote 0

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Glad to see the Captain's lucky streak is still continuing. Went saturday and no love yet, dropped an otaru and got a small 5# big eye(some poke at least). Like in your photo, the water was nasty in those rain squalls.

Upvote 0

Surfdawg

Almost A Member
Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Congrats Pat and Nerlie! Sounds like 2 great days of fishing. Thanks for sharing the stories and stoke. So looking forward to my Blackfin

Upvote 0

CaptRuss

May 6, 2011
honolulu
Name
Russ
Boat
Kamoku
Pat and Nerlie,
Congrats on a great weekend of fishing! Superb team effort = $uccess! The Kai'Nana, Nerlie and you continue to impress me with your consistent results.

Upvote 0

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
Living the Dream and with a fully capable Captain (Admiral) at that. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Thank God for keeping you guys safe. Always on the fish, and thanks for showing the flavor of the day. Aloha and tight lines.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat and Cap,
Congrats on some very nice fish.
Thanks Max.

Way to go! You guys sure travel far to find fish. Could you see kauai, when you were at the 2500 mark?
Sometimes we go on 1500-2000, but not in that far reach. Lucky for us, we don't need to go that far. I know some guys travel to that dog mouth from kauai. Far journey.
Thanks Ryan, not too often do we travel that distance, just wanted to go check it out.

Go team Blackfin!

Tight lines,
Thanks Eric.

Great work!
Thanks Dude.

Good weekend for the Kai Nana! Congrats, Nerlie and Pat!

I caught two goose eggs on Sunday. Couldn't find many signs of life out there.

Gotta hand it to you.......you always find the fish!
Thanks Todd, you'll get 'em next time.

Congrats Pat and Nerlie, you guys rock! Good going on your fish!
Thanks Jimmy.

Awesome Job Pat!!! You guys are loading em up!! Good going on your fish, You and the Capt. will have a great year this year!!!
Thanks Spens, wishing all of us a great summer.

Glad to see the Captain's lucky streak is still continuing. Went saturday and no love yet, dropped an otaru and got a small 5# big eye(some poke at least). Like in your photo, the water was nasty in those rain squalls.
Thanks Steven.

That's a busy and productive weekend!! Awesome work Pat and Captain Nerlie!!!
Thanks Mike.

Garrons on a great job
Thanks Mike.

Nice job, great team work. I like that you didn't panic after you broke your stick and was still able to land her.
Thanks Ted, I may have paniced some, we just got lucky w/ that one.

Mahalo for always sharing your stories!
Thanks Donald, by telling the story I get to re-live it.

Congrats Pat and Nerlie! Sounds like 2 great days of fishing. Thanks for sharing the stories and stoke. So looking forward to my Blackfin
Thanks Mike, send pics when she arrives.
Pat and Nerlie,
Congrats on a great weekend of fishing! Superb team effort = $uccess! The Kai'Nana, Nerlie and you continue to impress me with your consistent results.
Thanks Russ.

Hey Pat, I think I know why you broke your stick.
No Ti Leaves in the rod holders.

Congrats again.
You know that is probably true, when clearing lines pulled them all out and set to side.

Sounds like some great time on the water Pat, congrats to you and the wife on the fish!
Thanks
Jeff

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Thank God for keeping you guys safe. Always on the fish, and thanks for showing the flavor of the day. Aloha and tight lines.
Thanks Ryan, we took the ahi on a 9" pearl Shiroma dark blue back silver belly outside skirt.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2011
Greenbank/WA/USA
Name
David
Boat
Silver Streak 26 Swiftsure
Congratulations Pat, Captain Nerlie and the Kai'Nana. Excellent teamwork, sure it was exciting times. Glad you made it back safely, someone is definitely watching out for you. Looking forward to spending some time on the water with you. Have a great week and talk with you soon.

David

Upvote 0