The BIGS are in the house

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by Baja Bytes, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Baja Bytes

Baja Bytes Baja Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Gary Graham
    Boat:
    Watercloset
    [​IMG]

Striped Marlin, Named “Mary”

The Striped Marlin (Kajikia audax) named “Mary” (Tag ID: GFR6750) was originally tagged & released by angler James Hollingsworth on February 3rd, 2016 while fishing with captain Rosendo Gomez and mate Abraham Castro aboard the charter boat Tiburon from our Official Research Center, Pisces Sportfishing (http://www.piscessportfishing.com/ ) out of Cabo San

Lucas, Mexico. The Striped Marlin was estimated to be 110 inches (279.4 cm) total length and had an approximate weight of 150 pounds.

The Striped Marlin was recaptured 32 days later on March 5th, 2016 by angler Capt. Erick Esteves and mate Sergio Castro aboard the Handy Man panga boat out of San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. The recapture location was approximately 40.1 miles (64.6 km) away from the original tag location.

During that 32-day time period, the Striped Marlin most likely stayed in

the local waters just offshore where the food source was plentiful. That area is ideal habitat for Striped Marlin with the numerous ocean floor canyons which produce nutrient rich water from upwelling. That rich water is home to an abundance of small fish, such as mackerel, anchovies, sardines and squid, which is a food source for the Striped Marlin. At the time of recapture, the Striped Marlin had an estimated length of 115 inches and weight of 167-pounds.

Coronado Island

Report from Mark Austin from Reel to Reef Charters fishing on the Heritage: San Diego Harbor bait: huge, very poor quality, 8- to 10-inch sardines that rolled fast. Hit South Kelp Ridge for a 5-pound calico and a bunch of Johnny bass; water is dirty and loaded with red crab. The entire Islands are loaded with red crab! Fished the Rockpile for a couple of short lings and went offshore from there towards the 425 where we found a small spot of breaking fish just a few miles outside the Rockpile. A few seconds of show and that was it! Skunked from the 425 to the 371 and went back to the Islands and picked up a 6-pound YT at Middle Grounds.

Offshore

Below the 475 Knuckle:
    Good action this morning on 60- to 90-pound bluefin. This stuff was up and biting before sunrise this morning. Since sunrise, the boats are sliding up on more schools of bluefin ranging from 50 to almost 200 pounds. There are spots of 35- to 50-pound yellowfin tuna mixed in with these bluefin, too, but those are not biting very well. The guys are catching more bluefin than yellowfin.

The fish in the dark ate the mackerel on heavy 80-pound string just fine but once the sun came up they turned picky.
    BIG poppers continue to be a good choice. Rig them with a 2- to 3-foot, 100 to 130-pound test fluorocarbon leader and attach it to either 50-or 60-pound mono or better yet 80- to 100-pound braid.
    You’ll need a long rod to get the distance. The 9- to 10-foot heavy action jig sticks paired up with 2-speed reels are working best
    This same set-up with a short 5- to 6-foot heavy action rod will work great for the kite. You don’t need the long rod when fishing the kite.

Evening Update: To add to the above info there were also bluefin were 50- to 60-pound grade and super skittish. There were also some 50- to 60-pound bluefin mixed in with big 100- to 200-pound models.
    Finally, there were some yellowfin caught today that came from slow-trolling mackerel; these yellowfin were in the 45- to 50-pound class…Fishdope.com

Ensenada

[​IMG]

Ensenada Sportfishing reports that the small- to medium-sized yellowtail were caught today on a panga named Almar. …Fishdope.com

San Quintín

[​IMG]

My personal best halibut at San Quintín — 44 pounds...Daniel Powell

Kayak Fishing at San Quintin Bay

The main channel of the bay widens and deepens at the halfway point and from there on out through the mouth it runs 30- to 50-feet deep and a couple hundred yards wide. The flushing that makes good oysters creates a fishery at the mouth of the bay where currents collide and baitfish gather. Here, at the boca, in an area about a half-mile wide and a mile or so long, one can catch halibut (my personal best was 44 pounds), white seabass (got one of those at 55 pounds), lots of sand bass, occasional yellowtail and black seabass (or mero) that go upwards of 200 pounds. By-catches can include anything from rays to 150-pound thresher sharks to rock wrasse that inhabit the edges of the eelgrass at the drop-off into the channel. I’ve had to dodge whales feeding yards from shore, and dolphin are regular visitors.

There are several sportfishing operations that run folks from the ramp at the Old Mill out to the banks, 5- to 12-miles outside the bay, and most stop for a shot at a big halibut or black seabass on the way in. I have been fishing the hole at the mouth for over a year now by kayak and am usually the only one there. For years I had heard about the great halibut fishing and, for me, the bay has lived up to its reputation. There used to be a lot more game fish in the upper reaches of the bay. It’s still possible to get a decent halibut anywhere along the channel, but the odds greatly improve at the mouth of the bay.

This Saturday, June 11, Mako Bob’s third annual kayak-fishing halibut tournament will be held at the hole for the first time, though it is still officially hosted at Don Eddie’s, adjacent to the Old Mill. New this year is the one-day format...Daniel Powell

Bahía de Los Ángeles

BOLA … Marlin last year

[​IMG]

Hey, I’m new to BD but have been going down to BOLA since I was just a baby -- just thought I would share a cool story from last year.

A couple buddies go down every year, and last year we were down around the 26th of June. We got a boat down there and one day we go out just right behind Horsehead; a couple of boats around us just start jigging with irons (have never really been into using live bait down there -- kind of hard to make sometimes. Jigging is more fun and you catch more fish, I feel like, but they are smaller usually.) But we go out, catch a couple of 10- to 15-pound yellows and I’m just kind of messing around when I bring up my iron and within the last 15 feet, I get these weird three hard pulls on it. About five seconds later, a 6- or 8-foot blue marlin jumps a couple feet away from our boat. It jumps probably 5- or 6-times, almost landing in the boat one time, before it breaks off! Because I only got 25-pound test on, my friend managed to snap a couple of good photos as he had his camera out. In one of the photos you can see my jig in its mouth (which my dad used to estimate the size because we know the length of the jig) … but if he had not gotten those photos I don't think I would have believed it happened. The fish was an easy 300+ pounds; some of the local boats that were near all cheered after it happened. I had never heard of a blue being see so far north especially in June, but the pictures don't lie. I don't think anyone ever caught it since I had not heard anything from town about a big marlin being caught, but ya’ never know! …Luke

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bola-marlin-last-year.627794/

[​IMG]

I fished with Enrique on May 30, 31 and June 1. First day fished iron off Piojo catching 7 nice yellowtail. Next day went way south past Bernabe and picked up 14 yellows in the 20 - to 25-pound range. Broke off something big a couple of times. Third day up north to Remedios and filled the boat. Largest was 40- 50-pounds. Thanks to Captain Enrique for a great trip. …Dennis

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/fishing-with-enrique-daggett-in-bola.627727/

[​IMG]

Fished BOLA for a few days; had a couple windy days and a few great days. There were fish just about everywhere we went -- from Isla Partida to up above Las Nidos on the big island -- about a 7- mile stretch. We caught yellows, lots of them around, BUT leopard grouper (cabrilla) is our game -- casting for them on the surface! There is no better game around! …Captain Juan Cook

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bahia-de-los-angeles-5-28-6-4-xslnte.627874/

Gonzaga Bay

[​IMG]

June 10 and 11 is the second tournament of the series of fishing down in San Luis Gonzaga. Don't miss it!

http://www.pescalabaja.com/

Cedros Island

The weather has been great on the Island. Yellows are still under bird schools at the South East end of the Island near the airport. Yellows have also shown up at Punta Norte. These are smaller 8- to 15-pound fish but great to see the action. Calico fishing has not changed. Fishing is still very good all around the Island. There was another report of a marlin sighting in the Channel from the shipping boat captain.

I will be on the Island next Wednesday and I will send you a message Thursday evening when we come in from fishing . . . so a firsthand report! I may go look for tuna as well. I'm sure they are around …Jeff Mariani, Cedros Tackle

Bahía Ascensión

Abalone season is going well, thanks to cool-water temps. Yellowtail fishing is spotty but nice and cool weather is great! …Shari Bondy

La Bocana

No Report.

San Bruno

[​IMG]

Took the wife and baby down to our house in San Bruno, BCS, for one week vacation/adventure. Overall fishing was very slow. Not sure if it’s just a cycle or due to the fact that the seiners have raped the entire region over the past few years but there were zero calamari in the area! Bait was made in 500+ feet of water. I did manage to catch an 80±-kg. big eye thresher. Caught lots of trigger fish and Mexican needle fish from the kayak and I only heard of one dorado caught all week, and very few little yellow tail. Having the whale shark outside the house in shallow water was cool as was the usual dolphins, turtles, whales, Manta rays. Stayed at La Mission in Loreto one night and heard the same thing with the fishing. Great hotel if you are ever in Loreto as is Hotel Serenidad in Mulege for grande margaritas and good food – pool -- and a day at Playa Santispak is great as always. Water temps 76-78°; air temps 82°-90°. Drove down in one shot (13 hours) and stayed in San Quintin on way home (Baja Jardines). It was a 1,700 mile roundtrip … with zero incidents, great food, great people, and good times. Just another amazing Baja Adventure! …Nate

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/san-bruno-bcs-5-28-6-5.628008/

Mulege

[​IMG]

A good time was had by all!!! Dave Schroeder won Largest Dorado with a 34.8-pounder. Charlie and Linda won the Calcutta with a 31.9-pounder and a 22.5 pounder. Steve Ochs won Biggest Other with a 22.2-pound yellowtail.

We had ample fish for the banquet. It went well with Lupe's potato salad and beans. The fishing weather was also ideal. The raffle took over an hour to conduct. We think that everybody left a treat. Jim and Genie: I am holding your sourdough pretzels.

The next tournament is tentatively scheduled for January, 2017. The rotary will be running it and there will probably be some format changes. Stay tuned. For me, this was a labor of love and I thank you all for the privilege of serving. See you all next season. Bill

Loreto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like most of the US states Baja had some serious changes in temperature this past week. We started out rising up to 105 degrees at the beginning of the week and coasted back to more normal temps for the weekend.

The water temperatures did an opposite number with Monday's summertime temperatures running close to 80 and by Thursday our dive clients were back in the "under 70" soup!

I must admit that diving in a 3 mil shortie is more fun than a 7 mil farmer suit in murky water!

The fishing has switched around with less dorado and more jacks hitting the decks.

Captain"Chapa" Quintana put the clients on four nice yellowtail with two hugging 30 pounds. His "go to" spot is always the Punta Lobo area for bottom monsters. ( Don't start feeling knowledgeable because he has at least a dozen different rock piles off Lobo to fill the fish boxes! )

The spotty dorado scene has shifted due to the change in water. Throw in some windy days and locating them visually is very difficult, too.

The Coronado Island area has been kicking out pargo and roosterfish on live mackerel mostly at the southeast corner known as,"lagrimas".

Triggerfish are doing double duty filling in the blank spots for many fish boxes and the best part, they are swarming everywhere!

The summer vacation crowd, families on vacation are mixing up the day trips with fishing followed by swimming and snorkeling at Coronado's beach.

For the kids just bait fishing for mackerel is a blast and then you throw in some triggers, cabrilla or a rooster and you got a bunch of memories!

( Do they still do that welcome back to school thing in September....the "what you did on your summer vacation-thing" in 500 words? There will be a bunch of young kids with Loreto fishing adventures to share.)…Rick Hill, Pinchy Sportfishing

Magdalena Bay

No Report. ...Bob Hoyt

La Paz

[​IMG]

Always in the fish, Taylor Murphey from Lakewood, Calif., fishing with granpa’ Roger Thompson and Captain Hugo, stuck this beautiful amberjack off the south end of Cerralvo Island, dragging a purple Rapala Xrap 30. …
    Jonathan Roldan, Tailhunter International

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...z-muertos-fleet-reports-june-5th-2016.627867/

East Cape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather is getting hotter and so is the fishing. The water conditions and the overall fishing is the best start to a season in the last three years. A cold California current is very active this year, bringing with it the micro nutrients that feed the baitfish and draw the big predators. The past two weeks has witnessed a steady increase in dorado, tuna and wahoo. ...Van Wormer Resorts

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/fly-fishing-in-the-east-cape.627607/

[​IMG]

The gallo bite slowed a bit this week. That being said, the fish that were caught were of excellent quality and as big as 60 pounds. Best area was around the Lighthouse. …Gary Barnes Webb

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/the-east-cape’s-fishing-season-is-in-full-swing.627747/

[​IMG]

Congratulations to the Lomanto and Ballenger group -- two fathers with their three sons, all with remarkable attitudes, who not only shared their fishing experiences, but also created an atmosphere of fun and camaraderie. The fathers made a point to enjoy everything and sure enough, everything went their way. As to their three sons? They took considerable pleasure and delight in East Cape’s great fishing. …Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort

San José del Cab0

Report pending. …Eric Brictson, Gordo Banks Pangas

Los Cabos

[​IMG]

Mike Sledge of Austin, Texas was on the rod and reel. First time offshore fishing with Jose Ramon Ruiz and Julian bringing in a slob today! Taped out at 219-pounds! Congrats to the guys on the ReelRum. …Redrum Sportfishing

[​IMG]

“Every single boat out this week caught fish, quite an achievement by any standard! Fishing is off the charts and we have plenty of happy anglers and crews. We saw steady marlin catches throughout the week plus a good mix of other species,” Tracy Ehrenberg, Pisces Sportfishing.

[​IMG]

Captain Ramon Agundez holding the bigger one...Ryan Donovan, RedRum Sportfishing

There's an amazing difference a day or two can make in fishing results that include weather, water temps, feed biomass, clarity, etc. Over the past couple of days we have seen many of those changes from Cabo San Lucas, with yesterday, (June 8, 2016) being an unusually windy and rough day with hard winds from the northwesterly area slowing down the Pacific side, wrap[ping around Cabo San Lucas and flowing into the Sea of Cortez side, almost to the point of being non-fishable. This was following a few days of stellar fishing reporters for the entire fleet.

Air temps varied from 75 nights to 87 daytime highs and a 66.4% average humidity level. A mostly sunny and warm week with a partly cloudy day on Thursday. Very fishable weather.

Surface breezes flowing mostly from the westerly directions and varied from calmer mornings to about 15 mph average by afternoons. Pacific current is pushing into the Sea of Cortez side and temps are falling. On an east-west line from Cabo Falso to Jaime Bank and beyond, is all at 66-70 degrees. Cabo San Lucas to Los Frailes, from shore to 5-8 miles out is all at 70 & then warming to 74 for another 5-6 miles and perking up to 75-76 degrees beyond.

he Herradura area and he 1150 Fathom Spot were producing great fishing and then changed like someone "threw a switch", probably due to the hard windy conditions and declining water temperatures from Wednesday?

Best Lure/Bait: Live bait was best but the billfish were also biting on the artificials, too.

Live Bait Supply: Just OK. Live bait was getting short for some of the vendors but so far, the rate remains at $3.00 per bait…Larry Edwards, Cortez Charters

[​IMG]

My Kiwi Amigo John Hanning with a much-deserved monster roosterfish on the fly. Johnny hooked the roosterfish of the year on the fly off the beach -- all sight casting -- no teasing! Johnny, aka Heli-Deli, made a super long cast … I mean looong baby! The giant roosterfish saw my awesome fly ‘n pounced on it. He then took off 500 yards from the reel in a matter of seconds. The reel was set by me at 8-pounds of drag! He fought it perfectly and after 45 minutes or so, beached the fish of a lifetime! Way to go Amigo! ...Baja Anglers, Grant Hartman

2. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Great report. That Rooster is HUGE.

Baja Bytes likes this.
  3. Baja Bytes

Baja Bytes Baja Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Gary Graham
    Boat:
    Watercloset
    I've seen larger on gear, undoubtedly the largest I have ever seen on the fly

4. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    That's a nice dorado! ;)

Baja Bytes likes this.