I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 18, 2012
tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
Name
Harbison
Boat Name
Florida Fisherman
The best of late July Florida fishing in pictures
The weather is not the only thing HOT in July in Florida; the fishing is on fire.
The Sunshine State's lakes, streams, and rivers are teeming with hungry fish just waiting to be caught; and that's just the beginning.
Want to go BIG? Looking for a real fight? Florida inshore waters are home to many real fighters. Want even more of a challenge? Try offshore.
For the serious angler the boats & equipment required for inshore, close to shore, or offshore are a great deal different:

For many the expense and work load of boat ownership is simply too much. The answer... Head boat fishing.
The tremendous expense is shared among many, and, the best part, someone else does all the work; we have all the fun.
First up!
A close look a inshore late July Florida fishing.
Trout can be caught in very cold as well as very hot environments. The Speckled Trout we catch in our state is as good as trout fishing gets. Abundant, fun to catch, great to eat:

And that's just the beginning:

Our children are very involved.
Drugs, getting into trouble, NO WAY! I have too many fish to catch!

Inshore-offshore, our sport is in good hands:

Speaking of good hands; this gentleman is holding a real prize, the American Red Snapper:

My offshore fishing began in the sixties. In the seventies I was fishing the Florida Middle Ground. Back then we had NO American Red Snapper. What a difference today:
When we approach the 200 foot mark & beyond the Red Snapper are numerous and tend to grow a 'little' on the large size:

Good thing about these multi-day deep-water trips, we have a two day possession limit; that means twice as many fish. Four deep-water American Reds is a great catch in itself. And that's just the beginning:
Mangrove Snapper can be caught in-shore, close to shore, and deep-sea. There is a difference!

You wont find too many like this inshore:

The Federal waters Mangrove Snapper possession limit is 10. On the 39-44 hour trips we can keep 20. Often many catch their limits of both American Reds and Mangrove Snapper. This is what Florida is all about!
Here is a seldom caught fish in Central Florida waters, a Mutton Snapper. This beauty was caught on the Florida Fisherman Tuesday's 39 hour trip:

In addition to fantastic snapper fishing, Florida waters offer excellent grouper fishing.
The fish that made the Florida fish sandwich famous, the Gag Grouper:

Gag Grouper can even be caught in Tampa Bay; few like this:

I fished every inch of Tampa Bay for over 50 years. Never saw a Grouper like this until I started deep-sea fishing:

A Grouper that carries a reputation of being one of the bests eating fish ever to swim... The Scamp Grouper!

Another great eating Grouper:

A Grouper that carries a reputation of being one of the bests eating fish ever to swim... The Scamp Grouper!
Which is better eating... Scamp Grouper or Hogfish?
Only one way to tell... Many more test needed!

Look at the size of the offshore Hogfish. Want Hogfish for dinner but can't catch your own. Get ready to spend BIG $$$!
"Hogfish is considered a ‘rare’ fish and sells at a price per pound higher than most other fish. If you were buying Hogfish at a market, already filleted, you could expect to pay between $36 to even $50 a pound."
That BIG $$$ can't buy fresh, really fresh Hogfish. Our Hogs were swimming yesterday; theirs yester-week; or longer!
This young man caught a fish on the 39 hour Florida Fisherman Tuesday trip he will remember until the end of time.
His trophy of trophies... The African pompano:

Thanks to young boys and girls like him, the future of our sport is in good hands.
The weather is not the only thing HOT in July in Florida; the fishing is on fire.

Mystery fish. Can you name it?

Hint... Per Captain Dylan Hubbard:
"Commonly referred to as a ....... ...... very good eating fish, semi rare catch we don't see super often."

Reactions: Tunahead and Tom123
Upvote 0

DeeDee

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 18, 2012
tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
Name
Harbison
Boat Name
Florida Fisherman
"The only time I fished Florida we caught them on jigs and used them as bait for sails."
Interesting as heck. Thanks for sharing.

"Great report and pics DeeDee. Lot of nice fish and more BIG and Little Smiles!"
Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0