DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I finally sprung for a lead pot to weight my baits. I had used a homemade one but this one is so slick. It sure works good. I made a 4 minute video showing setting it up for the first time and filling a bait I'm currently working on. Oh... and I'm not selling them.

Reactions: Fishrdie
Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
My First Wobbler! And it works! I've never even used one. I made it from pictures and videos I watched. I weighted, balanced, and tested it along the way. The bloop, bloop, sound it makes is very cool. It has a probably one of a kind paint job but really, I don't think the fish care that much.
A video of the complete build:

Reactions: So Cal
Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I caught my first fish with one of the lures I made this winter. I had been using plastics this spring as the water has been cold and the fish weren't biting. I hadn't been out in a over a week (poor bites) I saw that the water was seventy degrees so I chose one of the handful of lures I had made this winter and cast to the shore. He bit when it was still and ran away with a slack line. Anyway, the first fish I've ever caught on a lure I made. I'll mark that one on the calendar for sure. Here is a picture of the fish and the lure.
The bad news.... I lost it in a tree about an hour later (don't ask). I'll make another tomorrow.

First bass tiger stripe.jpg

Lost bait.jpg

Reactions: Fishrdie
Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
Resurrection of the unknown crankbait.

If you look at the post right above this you'll read of the sad story of the unknown crankbait. The first time I catch a fish on a bait I made. It's gone. But....

Today I went into the shop and cranked out another crankbait. Started at 10:30 am and had it in the water by 3:30.
It's nearly identical with a few changes. And I weighted it a bit differently to change the movement from a wobble to more of a flitter.

In the video I had a chance to talk about the build more as I had done this before and had to think less this time around.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
Three similar but different crank baits. A video of the complete builds. All handmade except the hooks.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
Gee, thanks.

I'd like to try Alumilite but they've been out of stock for months. I use a less expensive Chinese knockoff. I understand that it's the same thing as alumilite so considering the price I'll probably still keep using it. It does work good. So, no issues with it.
If you back up to page 1 you'll see a post for a video regarding a UV curing chamber I made. It works great.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I built the Mr. Potato Head of fishing lures. A convertible lure that has interchangable parts to try and test different configurations before I make a lure, finish it off, only to find that my design idea is a bust.
The video shows a brief build/theory then testing at the dock with the interchangable parts.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I make an attempt at a bait similar to a Blackdog Bluegill Shellcracker. It has a thick aluminum post hinge mounted internally. Definitely not easy to make! The high profile made it more difficult to introduce stability in a wooden bait. I tried to address this issue by using a dense wood beneath a less dense wood. Marginal results. Anyway, it posed interesting problems and was 'educational' to make.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I have a crank bait I made early on that has a really nice action. I’m duplicating it with different paint patterns. This one is a sort crayfish pattern… sort of.
Anyway, as usual everything is hand made except the hooks.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
A fairly simple carving and paint job type of bait. A sort of crappie design. I wanted something light in color to fish with early in the morning with sunrise. Everything hand made except the hooks.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
I've been wanting to make a topwater lure like the jitterbugs I used as a kid. I didn't know how, or if it would work like the original as I have nothing but pictures of them. I decided to use the occasion to do my first amphibian paint scheme. Cedar and aluminum for this one. It's okay i guess, for a quick build....The video is from concept to first water cast.... And as usual I make everything except the hooks.

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
Another bait. Sort of a green crappie pattern... sort of. Made of cedar. Thrown together this afternoon. It moves nicely in the water. The weight if fairly front of center with a small bill so the movement is sort of a fast flitter. It dives much deeper than I would have expected though. As usual I make everything but the hooks.
A video of the build from block of wood to hooks:

Upvote 0

DanGagner

Craftsman on the lake
Apr 23, 2020
Maine
Name
Daniel Gagner
Boat
Daniel Gagner
A whopper plopper with a bass pattern.. my first one and I works. The video has a complete build and shows it in action in the water.... such a cool sound.

Upvote 0