A short while back I decided to go with UV resin instead of epoxy for the final coating on my baits. I built a curing chamber using two fingernail hardening lights. It was inexpensive and it is very effective. It's all I use now to finish them. A great success.
Here is the complete build of this device should anyone be interested in doing this.
This is the first part of a very long 6 part series of when I began to make baits from scratch a few months ago at 85 years of age. I had taken months to look at every youtube video I could get my mouse on regarding the subject, and read much stuff online and in forums like this. I found that all videos on the subject often left out key details that would derail someone wanting to do this. I guarantee, nothing is left out here, to the point of possibly too much information and detail.
This first video begins with all the materials and equipment I initially acquired and an explanation of it's use. Each succeeding video after that delves into the trials an tribulations of the entire bait making process. It is very detailed as today, a bait can be made in a few hours with one 20 minute video to document it (see my posts above).
This video series is probably only for people wanting to do this as it is very detailed. In the description below each video are links to each of the other, six total, videos in this tutorial / journey series.
The Unknown lure. I don't know what this is. It's sort of Yellow perch like but it's not. I saw the pattern on Bejan Lures on Youtube. I liked it so I made it yesterday. Everything except the hooks and split rings are hand made. Anyway, still tryin'
Near the video's end I put it in the water briefly. Not bad action.
Thanks, I just started this winter doing this. Something to do during the down season. I haven't even been able to get out to catch something on them yet. Maine and the water is still about 46 degrees. Not much happening bite wise.
I look at some of the guys on youtube and I think I've got a ways to go before I get, if I ever do, to the stuff they produce.
I made a test prototype of an aluminum hinged swimbait. It's got two hinges but four pivot points. The result is a very fluid kind of movement. Almost like a soft bait.
I hadn't planned on painting it up. Just getting it to work and making a cleaner one later on that hadn't had as many revisions. But I did anyway. Here it is. It ain't pretty but damned if it doesn't work.
Balancing again I'm afraid
My digital scale was just not accurate. Cheap yes but boy did it have a range all over the place. I could get a more expensive one, but heck, it's just to find the weight of my lures when I make them.
Coins have a pretty good standard weight defined by the US Mint. They can be used to make a fairly decently accurate scale. This is how I did it.