Dexter Outdoors

pongapartner

Sep 8, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Dave Dwyer
Boat
Star
Have note seen or heard the name Sam P. when it comes to anything related to the American Angler. Only read about Brian and Ray in the reports and its been that way for awhile now. Is Sam still around and part of the operation?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I booked my trip in November last week and asked Lori if it would be Sam or Brian running the trip and she just said Brian. Nothing else

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Love it when Ray grabs a rod to untangle a mess or get around the anchor. He always gets a few extra cranks on the rig using some unexpected leverage point. I always try to take note of what and how he does it. He knows how to kill fish. Brian is so laid back that things just happen the right way. Hard to tell what he is doing aside from getting us on fish.

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Soon to be the great State of Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    Brian has already solidified his reputation as one of the top LR captains.

Though I have yet to have the pleasure to fish with Ray, I am acquainted with him.

Last season he shared my duck blind for a day.

He was on the phone with Brian every hour (sat phone). They constantly keep in contact about conditions, tackle, etc. When one walks off the boat at the end of a trip, the next already has a solid game plan.

He is quite and humble, has an outstanding work ethic, and boy you can tell a fire is burning inside for fishing. He lives and breathes it. He is the next generation of legendary skippers IMHO.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I watched Ray use a trick I’d never seen before. Last year at Lupe on the last fishing day of our 8 day, I was hooked up and wrapped deep on the anchor line. He pointed the rod at the line and maybe slacked off a bit? Can’t recall the specifics. Anyway, the wrap walked right up the line so he could see it to get it unwrapped.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    amazing operation all the way around. And Lori is still amazing!!!!

Lori is the greatest Ambassador to Sportfishing that I know of...

Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    None
    If anyone follows the American Angler on Facebook, looks like one of the prodigal sons has made a return in grand fashion! Congrats Cam!
    I talked with Lori a couple of weeks ago to see if Sam Patella might fill in on occasion. She said probably not, but did mention other probables. Cameron and Taro were both mentioned. I will miss Sam a bunch as I would Brian if he was ever out of the picture. It was fun at HB or Clarion watching Sam do his thing. Funniest trip I had was in 2008 when Sam drove and Brian was deck boss. Brian had some hilarious monologues from on the bait tank

Cameron always had such a supportive smile...but, serious he was at getting those big fish on board...all smiles aside until the club finalized things.

I hope Taro gets to do some trips as well. Between Taro and Cam, the American Angler family had some wonderful times on the water. I, for one, am very grateful.

Kerry, thanks for posting about Cameron.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler

Attachments

• American Angler - stateroom_diagram.pdf
      712.7 KB · Views: 33