The 4th is with us at full force at OB pier:)

fishingap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Well said!

"Capt Brian".... your story.... is our story as "fisherpeople". Simplicity. ... In its purest form..... A smile....from ear to ear. Giggles and laughs.... and those fish, will put that memory in her mind for a lifetime dad.

One day ..... many years from now.... she'll show you in her own way.... how you touched her heart and soul that day.... "the day we went mackerel fishing dad"!! No "world records".... but every fish was a "trophy fish".... In her mind. Cause you were there.... being a kid too. Sooooooo important. :urno1:

Thanks for all of those who are willing to share.... "THAT MOMENT".... With their kids. We need you more than you know' now that things are so confusing in their world.

Take the kids fishing..... even from the shore... or from the dock.... anywhere you can. Make those sweet moments count... they grow up so fast now days!

Thanks to all those "dads"..... your contributions will be rewarded in your lifetime... and that of your grandkids. My hats off to all of you.... "fun fish" anglers... who have slowed down enough to GET IT... and shared it with not only their kids..... but others as well.
:notworthy

Be safe out there my brothers!

Reactions: woodfish330

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
Here is the story behind why I started cooking and eating mackerel. When traveling in japan, I fell in love with this a Japanese dish called saba-yaki, essentially grilled pacific mackerel. It went so well with beer or sake. That triggered me to find out what's the best way to reproduce the special taste home.

Preparation is the key and [email protected] summarized it well.
"had a bucket with water, cut gills and bleed, then gut and throw into cooler. The fishy smell comes from the fat turning rancid.
"
Basically bleeding and prevention of oxidization using water.

The pro way of cooking it:

A simple and quick way:

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
You eat mackerel ? People are getting desperate.
My friend jon worked on the shogun for awhile..had access to all types of fish but swore up and down his favorite was a whole Spanish mack microwaved for 6 minutes..granted a spanish is actually a jack and not a mackerel but his taste is his taste..

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I don't have my original poles any more, my dog ate them... but I do still have the Penn Senator and the Mitchell 302 I bought as a kid... that's right a Mitchell there was no Garcia yet.

My daughter doesn't like boats but I did take her fishing a few times, I made up for that with my grandson. Started taking him out at about 4, would set him up with a sibiki and he go nuts catching Macs... He is now 15 and is really into it.
1593980996956.png

1593981136465.png
1593981136465.png
1593981136465.png

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
My friend jon worked on the shogun for awhile..had access to all types of fish but swore up and down his favorite was a whole Spanish mack microwaved for 6 minutes..granted a spanish is actually a jack and not a mackerel but his taste is his taste..
Spanish Mackerel are much more edible.White meat.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
If eaten raw, aka Sashimi style, it is important that the skin remain intact. It is also more visually pleasing.

I think it is comforting to be able to visually confirm what I am eating. It tastes better with the skin anyways.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Saba, my favorite Sashimi. Looks like a great time and food fishing!

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
Here is the story behind why I started cooking and eating mackerel. When traveling in japan, I fell in love with this a Japanese dish called saba-yaki, essentially grilled pacific mackerel. It went so well with beer or sake. That triggered me to find out what's the best way to reproduce the special taste home.

"had a bucket with water, cut gills and bleed, then gut and throw into cooler. The fishy smell comes from the fat turning rancid.
"

A simple and quick way:
Very popular in Korea too, ate it all the time when I was stationed there.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
ha! actually its mackerel. Tuna is divided up by type. I'm talking Worldwide consumption and commercial tonnage. look it up and don't assume.
I did look it up ! Actually shrimp is first followed by Tuna.

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
And tunas are members of the mackerel family, blah blah what's the big deal.

Used to like pacific mackerel sushi/sashimi quite a bit. Once I got scombroid poisoning and my ardor disappeared like yesterday's white sea bass bite. I know it wasn't the fish per se, but the handling. Still gun-shy though.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Mackerel is the #1 food fish on the planet! Educate yourself. While we may not eat it, most of the world does.
My neighbor will eat my left over live sardines. I've tried to eat mackerel and bonita in the past and didn't like.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Won't eat barracuda either

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Still have my second saltwater rod. I was rewarded when my Pop and me were fishing off of Belmont Barge. I was about 11 yrs. The shuttle boat was heading in our direction for the hourly pick up...
Mom bought me my first fishing rod using Blue Chip stamps.

I remember my first trip on the Belmont barge.
A neighbor kids' stepmom was an avid fisherman. She invited me on a couple trips to fish off Belmont pier. Taught me how to fish a slider rig.
She took us out on the barge and I'm busy tying on a weight to fish the slider.
That's when I learned what flylining was.

@fishingap
A fine evenings' fishing there.
I'm not a big fan of eating fish but that's a good looking plate of mac.
Don't let the poo-pooers get you down.

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
I eat mackeral all the time. The bigins' off the back side of cat make great saba! Gut them, slice the skin, salt it, and grill them whole! Really tasty with some rice.

Reactions: fishingap

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak

"

A simple and quick way:
Thats the way I used to eat it while I was in Japan...dang it..now Im hungry for Saba..all I have left in my freezer is some bluefin and yellowfin. I think I'll chop some toro up to bait my sabiki and hit the pier...

• Love
Reactions: fishingap

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I think Ill chop up some bluefin to use for bait for mackerel...then can all the mackerel. Then..when our fine state political leadership finally decide to empty all of the prisons and completely defund all the police..Ill have something to bargain with all the marauding bands of thugs robbing and looting who are already used to trading canned macs for goods and services..

Latest posts