The 4th is with us at full force at OB pier:)

fishingap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
ull moon, clear sky, warm water ==> crazy session

Here are a few photos from last night's session about other's catch.

I was told that it's hard to avoid 6 feet distance all the time, especially when a trophy fish is pulled up to the pier, so some face covering is good for everyone.

May the force be with us throughout this long weekend :cheers:
sculpin.jpg
sargo.jpg
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
macs.jpg
fillet.jpg

In case you're interested in mackerel fishing, method 1 (carolina rig) and 3 (glow stick) on this page worked the best last night with shrimp or cut mackerel: https://www.tipsharing.com/fishing/tutorial_mackerel

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
:shake: Don't steal someone's joy brother! If it's mackerel. ... perch.... hali.... whitefish... whatever.... none of them are "boojee"! Sorry their not up to your standards.

Good fun for sure.... and an evening of fishing with the full moon.... always beautiful. Great catch..... and bled immediately.... they taste great.... ceviche. Never mind "Debbie Downer" above....lol.

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
I had a little laugh about the 6ft distancing,when a trophy fish is pulled up to the pier.....Never seen a "Trophy fish" on a pier.Mackerel actualy looks good prepared that way.

Reactions: fishingap

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Maybe they're not "trophies" to most posting on here. Brothers....have we come sooooo far from our early fishing experiences, that we forget how most of us got started?

Are we so blind .... As "advanced" fishermen..... that we can't see that those fishing there .... now.... are the ones that eventually become tomorrow's LONG RANGERS? Private boaters? "Sportie" regulars? We all have to start somewhere right?

With the 10 year decline in the number of fishing licenses sold..... we need to "cultivate" and encourage as many as we can to try our favorite sport. Anytime you can spend a moment on the pier / dock, helping.... teaching... "suggesting" helpfully.... donating tackle to those fishing on the pier with a handline.... is a show of our brotherhood. .. FISHING!

With the upcoming MLPA 2.0 coming soon..... can we afford to "alienate" anyone who would / could vote in our favor? Don't be short sighted. Fewer and fewer people can afford to go on $300 a day trips..... or own a $25000 boat. We need them my brothers! They one day will be the new generation of anglers.... that I support whole heartedly.

Be safe my brothers.

Happy July 4th.!

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
woodfish330 your post brought back many memories, I remember Mission bay as a mud flat we would walk across at low tide and then they dredged it, dredges ran 24/7. Growing up in P.B. we fished MB almost every day after school until dark thirty, the best fishing in the bay was the model yacht pond on V.V. You didn't fish on the sport boats, they took you out to a barge. The bay after school and the ol man's 16' boat at the kelp beds on the week ends, then he built a 22' and we were big time. Had a bench seat we got out of a junk yard that we threw overboard during an Albacore bite so we would have more room for fish, we had canned tuna for years. You would catch sacks of fish every time you went to the kelp beds, big Bonita and you were bummed because you couldn't get through them to get to the yellow-tail. Watched a few people put their trucks in the water at the launch ramp. We were laughing at this guy who was using a brand new Caddy, still had paper plates on it, to get his boat instead of a truck like everyone else... he didn't even slow down when it hit the water and it was out of sight. I was 11 or 12 and my buddy and I had a 10' wood boat we would tow to the bay(2 blocks from our house) with our bikes to the foot of Fanual St. and then row it to Quavira Basin because you could catch Bonita that would follow the sport boats in, and didn't think anything about it... I would die if I tried that today.

1593944259099.png

Last edited:

capt brian

Jul 5, 2006
spring valley
Name
capt brian
Boat
31 bertam
Maybe they're not "trophies" to most posting on here. Brothers....have we come sooooo far from our early fishing experiences, that we forget how most of us got started?

Are we so blind .... As "advanced" fishermen..... that we can't see that those fishing there .... now.... are the ones that eventually become tomorrow's LONG RANGERS? Private boaters? "Sportie" regulars? We all have to start somewhere right?

With the 10 year decline in the number of fishing licenses sold..... we need to "cultivate" and encourage as many as we can to try our favorite sport. Anytime you can spend a moment on the pier / dock, helping.... teaching... "suggesting" helpfully.... donating tackle to those fishing on the pier with a handline.... is a show of our brotherhood. .. FISHING!

With the upcoming MLPA 2.0 coming soon..... can we afford to "alienate" anyone who would / could vote in our favor? Don't be short sighted. Fewer and fewer people can afford to go on $300 a day trips..... or own a $25000 boat. We need them my brothers! They one day will be the new generation of anglers.... that I support whole heartedly.

Be safe my brothers.

Happy July 4th.!
Sounds like a great trip. Took my daughter out to to San Digo Bay yesterday I'm an avid fisherman .I fish at least a hundred days a year long range blue fin swordfish Marlin you name it I've done it . Tournament Fishing bisbee's Catalina classic Mako Madness. Had more fun hanging with my daughter catching mackerel than I've had in a long . It was one right after another on some light bass rods what a blast. Savor the moment. Make each day a little bit longer. Make each sensation Little Bit Stronger.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
"Capt Brian".... your story.... is our story as "fisherpeople". Simplicity. ... In its purest form..... A smile....from ear to ear. Giggles and laughs.... and those fish, will put that memory in her mind for a lifetime dad.

One day ..... many years from now.... she'll show you in her own way.... how you touched her heart and soul that day.... "the day we went mackerel fishing dad"!! No "world records".... but every fish was a "trophy fish".... In her mind. Cause you were there.... being a kid too. Sooooooo important. :urno1:

Thanks for all of those who are willing to share.... "THAT MOMENT".... With their kids. We need you more than you know' now that things are so confusing in their world.

Take the kids fishing..... even from the shore... or from the dock.... anywhere you can. Make those sweet moments count... they grow up so fast now days!

Thanks to all those "dads"..... your contributions will be rewarded in your lifetime... and that of your grandkids. My hats off to all of you.... "fun fish" anglers... who have slowed down enough to GET IT... and shared it with not only their kids..... but others as well.
:notworthy

Be safe out there my brothers!

Last edited:

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Bring back memories of my youth. I was given a fishing pole from my Grandfather and we fished the OB Pier.
The when I was older 10 I would walk down and spent many nights on that Pier. Loved every minute .
Thank you
Here is that pole. Its one of my most cherish thing.
15939630621528085882273049890897.jpg

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Still have my second saltwater rod. I was rewarded when my Pop and me were fishing off of Belmont Barge. I was about 11 yrs. The shuttle boat was heading in our direction for the hourly pick up. It had been an windy afternoon Bonito bite of 5-8#. Pop said if you hook and land one more the DAM Quick and Eagle Claw is yours. The shuttle boat waited and some cheered me on. I caught that Bone and the rest is history. I'm 50 years into saltwater fishing and still love every minute, Miss Dad though.

P1020475.JPG

P1020478.JPG

P1020486.JPG

I believe Dad picked up a Mitchell/Garcia coffee grinder to replace.

"psuh"

Last edited:

Wolfman4

Wolfman
Feb 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Quidort
Boat
C-Dory
I had a little laugh about the 6ft distancing,when a trophy fish is pulled up to the pier.....Never seen a "Trophy fish" on a pier.Mackerel actualy looks good prepared that way.
Have you ever heard of Crystal pier?

Reactions: capt brian

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
"had a 10' wood boat we would tow to the bay(2 blocks from our house) with our bikes to the foot of Fanual St"

That sounds fun :cheers:

woodfish330 your post brought back many memories, I remember Mission bay as a mud flat we would walk across at low tide and then they dredged it, dredges ran 24/7. Growing up in P.B. we fished MB almost every day after school until dark thirty, the best fishing in the bay was the model yacht pond on V.V. You didn't fish on the sport boats, they took you out to a barge. The bay after school and the ol man's 16' boat at the kelp beds on the week ends, then he built a 22' and we were big time. Had a bench seat we got out of a junk yard that we threw overboard during an Albacore bite so we would have more room for fish, we had canned tuna for years. You would catch sacks of fish every time you went to the kelp beds, big Bonita and you were bummed because you couldn't get through them to get to the yellow-tail. Watched a few people put their trucks in the water at the launch ramp. We were laughing at this guy who was using a brand new Caddy, still had paper plates on it, to get his boat instead of a truck like everyone else... he didn't even slow down when it hit the water and it was out of sight. I was 11 or 12 and my buddy and I had a 10' wood boat we would tow to the bay(2 blocks from our house) with our bikes to the foot of Fanual St. and then row it to Quavira Basin because you could catch Bonita that would follow the sport boats in, and didn't think anything about it... I would die if I tried that today.

View attachment 1166537

Reactions: woodfish330

fishingap

Sep 14, 2014
san diego
www.tipsharing.com
Name
Ian Sun
Boat
fishingap
"Had more fun hanging with my daughter catching mackerel"
That's one of the main reasons for us to go to piers. Kids always have some much fun with us and this sports:lux:

Sounds like a great trip. Took my daughter out to to San Digo Bay yesterday I'm an avid fisherman .I fish at least a hundred days a year long range blue fin swordfish Marlin you name it I've done it . Tournament Fishing bisbee's Catalina classic Mako Madness. Had more fun hanging with my daughter catching mackerel than I've had in a long . It was one right after another on some light bass rods what a blast. Savor the moment. Make each day a little bit longer. Make each sensation Little Bit Stronger.