CHRISTINA LYNN

Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
I thought you guys would like to see this build of my 31 Bertram in progress. Last Week my good friend Chuck and I bought this cult classic 31 Bertram. On Thursday we pulled it out of the water to start the build of our Island Dream boat. This boat will be built the way we want, on a great hull. Some will cry, some will laugh and some will say WTF for taking a saw to such an awesome boat.
FYI, I’m not going into this build haphazardly. This will not be the first boat I have built. It will be my biggest build only due to the size of the boat. I have done my research; I fully understand the cost and time it will take to build this boat in a professional manner with only the best building materials. I have a planned completion date of March 2012. If I don’t meet that date no big deal but that’s my goal. I currently own a boat that I love (26 Blackman Outerbanks). I have out grown it. Running to the island twice a week and since finishing my captains last year I will be running more and more charters. What I am building is my style of boat on steroids, basically my Blackman in a 31x11.6 model.
ON THAT NOTE, Please refrain from the B.S. comments. If you have some good advice, a hook up on material or a good idea that might work better than the way I’m doing it I would love to hear it. But if you plan on talking shit please don’t.
The build will be slow. I will work on the boat a few times a week and I will post pictures after each day. Hope you enjoy the build and come fish on her someday. Thanks Joe
Before
1fddf6bc.jpg

Starting of the cutting(James working Hard)
1c8268b0.jpg

Reactions: CESARJRC
Upvote 0

CHRISTINA LYNN

Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
The site will only let me post a few pictures at a time. Maybe it's on my end Ill try posting more pic's my laptop when I get home Thursday.

Day 1 Demo
1e20cede.jpg

735bd1c9.jpg

1079710a.jpg

End of day 1
d18ca291.jpg

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Pilot house on the Bert?......

Upvote 0

CHRISTINA LYNN

Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
Day 2, The first half for the day was spent mostly cleaning up fro the day before. After lunch more demo removal of cleats, wiring, hose's ETC... after we were more organized I started the removal of the unneeded bulkheads. this is a Slow process to do it clean and neat.
804fbf65.jpg

1ea15615.jpg

End of day 2, Theres alot more work to be done before I can start taking whats spinning around in my brain and put it to form. I'm almost at the point where I'll have a clean platform to start with. I think two more days of work till I can start laying out the boat.
851df0dd.jpg

Thanks Dave and James for the help.
TO BE CON'T

Upvote 0

CHRISTINA LYNN

Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
Yep, 31 Bertram pilothouse, Thanks Jeff, Looks like you have something in the work's your self in the background. And Thanks for the Kind words. Joe

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Yep, 31 Bertram pilothouse, Thanks Jeff, Looks like you have something in the work's your self in the background. And Thanks for the Kind words. Joe

I have a Silverton that I want to do a Pilot house on......I'll be following this thread.....Good Luck!....

Upvote 0

HMF23

Almost A Member
Nov 16, 2005
Sacramento
Name
Brad
Boat
23,Farallon
That will be one awesome project, got to love having all them four days to work on it. Keep the picks coming.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
Can't wait to see what you pull off. Good luck with the project can't think of a better set up in a boat that size. Any more details, power layout etc?

Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 16, 2003
North San Diego County
caspsolutions.com
Name
Dennis
Boat
27' self built
Looks like a fun project!

The first thing I would do is to build a deck around it on three sides with a nice railing and set of stairs! Leave room on the deck for storage, saws and walking. Going up and down a ladder will kill you over time.

Keep the pictures coming.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Looks like a fun project!

The first thing I would do is to build a deck around it on three sides with a nice railing and set of stairs! Leave room on the deck for storage, saws and walking. Going up and down a ladder will kill you over time.

Keep the pictures coming.

Send him a pic Dennis!.......

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Great idea for a project. That hull bottom is one of the best. That flybridge sucks IMO.

Great candidate.

Hard to watch you chop up a classic, but I'm sure it will be sick when you are done.

What are you thinking for power? Single or twin?

Have fun.

Upvote 0

JBG

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Huntington Harbor
Visit site
Name
J Gore
Boat
BECKY G
Great idea for a project. That hull bottom is one of the best. That flybridge sucks IMO.

Great candidate.

Hard to watch you chop up a classic, but I'm sure it will be sick when you are done.

What are you thinking for power? Single or twin?

Have fun.

The boat already has twin Cummins 504s in it that run great. Awesome boat.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Joe that is a hell of a project you got going and I can’t wait to see what you turn her into. Keep the reports coming and good luck!

Upvote 0

Phat Matt

Matt
Jun 30, 2003
San Clemente
Name
PhAT Matt
Boat
2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
One of my favorite hulls...all time classic. Can't wait see her. Keep the pics coming man!

Matty

Upvote 0