Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
A series of winter storms kept me off the water here in the Land of Enchantment in 2022 for a long, long 11 days…😂 Fortunately, the winds came down and the temps came up just enough to justify a quick road trip..
8D646421-14E2-40D5-812E-8F0E19EC7030.jpeg

Thankfully, the sun was shining this morning, though it didn’t offer any shred of warmth. Rigging up was a challenge and my fingers felt like Vienna sausages..

My buddy would have had first fish honors, but I watched as his fly line actually froze in place while playing a fish. The guides were iced over.

Lucky (for me) I started off Euro Nymphing and never had an issue with my 20’ leader getting froze. It did take couple of hours before the fish started waking up. Once temps hit the freezing mark, they started foraging and soon enough, the first fish of 2022 was in the books.
0A281812-F0D6-4938-BC11-68513DF0C249.jpeg

Fishing was slow as they had recently bumped up release flows and the water was a little off color. When that happens, I typically go a little larger on fly selection and add weight to get the fly down quickly, and to slow it as much as possible without creating drag against the mono leader. I managed a steady pick using the technique.
AAE38E87-7EF5-41F1-94E0-39DC601D9C5E.jpeg

A7E10001-EAAB-4271-BA28-216098A11E4E.jpeg

5344C864-3412-43A1-AF5C-D2FBF88C6969.jpeg

My buddy wouldn’t get one to hand until around 3pm, our agreed to stop time. We usually fish pretty evenly and as such we’ve had a friendly rivalry over the last few years.

When he asked how many I had landed, my reply, which was dripping with false humility, was “Well, Grant, it’s only the first fish that matters..”

Of course that unleashed a torrent of *#€¥@ to which I replied “Well, if you really need to know, 10…” Now, I don’t take pleasure in rubbing my good fortune in a buddy’s face, but out fishing him 10:1 did deserve some needling. Plus, as tradition dictates, it meant we’d be enjoying his beers when we got back to the parking lot.

So, welcome to 2022. If this last session was indicative, the fishing will be good and the friendships will be better.
711166B7-1B9E-4EC2-A4C4-E060FC699D1B.jpeg

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
You guys look too old to know or enjoy Dropkick Murphys. :D

A lot less work that hauling the boat of of the garage, launching it, pulling anchors, washing down sled and sticking it back in the garage.

I see that kind of fishing in my near future.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
You guys look too old to know or enjoy Dropkick Murphys.
Hey now!!!!!! 😏😂 They used to do gigs with my brother’s band, so I’ve been a fan for probably 25 years- close to when they started.

The funny thing is they’re probably the most mellow on that particular play list. I like a little punk and ska with my coffee in the morning.

Reactions: Tunahead
the SLIDER
the SLIDER
I'm 63. Was an original punk in the late 70's from HB. Went to the Cookoos Nest.

Still love the oldies.
Upvote 0
Wandering Blues
Wandering Blues
Nice!! Used to run down to OC and catch Black Flag, Agent Orange, Social Distortion, TSOL. Missed the Cookoo’s Nest by about 2 years..
Upvote 0
the SLIDER
the SLIDER
Those were serious bands of the day. Like them all, seen them all.

Glad to find something in common with another BDer.

Back to fishing . . .
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Hey now!!!!!! 😏😂 They used to do gigs with my brother’s band, so I’ve been a fan for probably 25 years- close to when they started.

The funny thing is they’re probably the most mellow on that particular play list. I like a little punk and ska with my coffee in the morning.
    I went to Finian's Rainbow, which became
    the Cookoo's Nest into the 70's ...fun years.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    "Euro Nymph..." Damn, that sounds positively titillating!

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Upvote 0

doccod

Mar 10, 2021
    New Mexico (San Diego native for 40 years)
    Name
    Randy Rueckert
    Boat Name
    none
    I'm a So Cal transplant too. I've fished the San Juan and it's fabulous, the amount of fish per mile is incredible. It's just a long trip for me, still working full time. I like to fish the Chama river upstream of El Vado. It's not nearly as productive, but much less crowded.

Upvote 0

Latest posts