AnglerboiRR

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2008
Socal
Name
Eddie
Boat
21ft Wellcraft Cc
Alan, how do you recommend cleaning your bigger sized reels like the visx 20 after a fishing trip? Thanks

Upvote 0

Eric S

Sep 20, 2018
Fallbrook, California
Name
Eric S.
Boat
-
Sounds good Alan. I put 600 on my 20visx also ...

... except for flex wrap on arbor of spool ... flex wrap is less than ideal ... go with electrician tape is much better.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Sounds good Alan. I put 600 on my 20visx also ...

... except for flex wrap on arbor of spool ... flex wrap is less than ideal ... go with electrician tape is much better.

Eric,
Do you prefer the cloth-type electrician's tape, or the vinyl type?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alantani

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
no, i would not use electrical tape. i've had to peel off electrical tape and found corrosion underneath. never seen that with flex wrap. it's my guess that electrical tape will hold water underneath and flex wrap will not. it is not a question of one allowing the braid to slip and one holding. both will hold the braid and not allow it to slip on the spool. that part is easy. the issue for me is corrosion.

bottom line. i am less concerned what you use and more concerned that you just use something.

Upvote 0

MicN_Tx

Feb 18, 2021
Bastrop Texas
Name
Michael Alewine
Boat
15'9" Cajon aluminum Jon boat
Alan,
Could you recommend these PENN 20's for a style/type or class of fish with the 100# braid ?
I believe an earlier statement was a 215# yft. Would that be a max class type fish for this system ?

Thanks Mic

Upvote 0

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
i'm guessing from your log in name that you'll be fishing the gulf of mexico. not sure where you are. sometimes you don't really get to pick the size of fish that's going to bite. i'd grab the heaviest stick i think will get me bit and fish with that. i do have a 20 visx that is set up with 600 yards of 100 pound jb hollow and a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluoro. great reel. it's set up for 30 pounds at strike and 50 at full. not a big fan of the handle grip, so i changed it out. i also ground down the cam to give the drag profile a more gradual slope in the beginning. we have some pretty big bluefin showing up in southern california. my choice would be a 130 pound line class reel. if they'll bite 80, they'll bite 100. if they'll bit 100, they'll bite 130. i would rather see you get a 130 pound line class reel before a 100.

Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
i'm guessing from your log in name that you'll be fishing the gulf of mexico. not sure where you are. sometimes you don't really get to pick the size of fish that's going to bite. i'd grab the heaviest stick i think will get me bit and fish with that. i do have a 20 visx that is set up with 600 yards of 100 pound jb hollow and a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluoro. great reel. it's set up for 30 pounds at strike and 50 at full. not a big fan of the handle grip, so i changed it out. i also ground down the cam to give the drag profile a more gradual slope in the beginning. we have some pretty big bluefin showing up in southern california. my choice would be a 130 pound line class reel. if they'll bite 80, they'll bite 100. if they'll bit 100, they'll bite 130. i would rather see you get a 130 pound line class reel before a 100.

What kind of connection do you typically use for the 100# hollow to 25yd 100# fluorocarbon leader?

Upvote 0

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
i use a modified tony pena knot. it's a four-turn uni knot on the mono or fluoro side, then 8-up and 10-down on the braid side. the reason for the 8/10 combination is that i've found that in cinches down better. for me, it's all about consistency. i would rather tie an 80% knot 100% of the time than a 100% knot 99% of the time.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Alan,
Could you recommend these PENN 20's for a style/type or class of fish with the 100# braid ?
I believe an earlier statement was a 215# yft. Would that be a max class type fish for this system ?

Thanks Mic

Even though Alan is the OP here, I will chime in, as this is a VERY common question these days.
Also, I am answering from a SoCal/Baja point of view; in other geographic areas your mileage may vary.
For San Diego-based anglers 16VISX-size reel can now be considered a "must have", and can readily handle tuna up to 250 pounds. As the fish approach 300 pounds, the line capacity can start to get a little skinny, though if you don't get spooled, the reel itself can handle it.
The San Diego boat "Pacifica" has an individual 16VISX that caught three "super cows" last season, topped by a 353-pounder, plus uncountable 200-pounders.
That one just got sent in for maintenance, and I asked for a "status report" on the internals; will report back if I get it.
Anyway, hooking into a 300-pounder "may" or "may not" be an expected event in the 2021 season.
If I know going in that 300-plus pounders are around and likely to bite, I want to be using a 20VISX.
Here is the 338-pounder caught on a 16VISX aboard Pacifica.
BTW, that is the angler's very first tuna ever!

338 16VISX Pacifica.jpg

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have been testing knots and lines since 2004 and am very curious.

1. Quote: " It was rigged in 100 yard sections - red, yellow, green, white, blue and white. then i added a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound seaguar pink fluoro."

i use a modified tony pena knot. it's a four-turn uni knot on the mono or fluoro side, then 8-up and 10-down on the braid side. the reason for the 8/10 combination is that i've found that in cinches down better. for me, it's all about consistency. i would rather tie an 80% knot 100% of the time than a 100% knot 99% of the time.

Would respectfully inquire.....
1. What objective testing method you are using to verify connection strength of the joins used to connect each color of spectra to each other. You are introducing 5 additional connections into the system which would indicate some sort of strength verification.
2. The same regarding your modified Toney Pena Knot. What objective method was used to determined that one combination of turns was stronger or more consistent then other combinations.

Many thanks for all the educational posts in the past. Am looking forward to learning from your reply.
Walt

Upvote 0

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
never teste them! i actually went on the advice of jerry brown himself for the splices. he told me once that a 12 inch splice, 6 inches on either side, was a 100% connection. i normally use a 5-6 foot splice with 2.5 to 3 feet on either side so i feel pretty good about that one. the whole reason for using hollow core is so that you can do these splices. was always told that they were 100% and never questioned it. as far as the color changes, it is really nice to know where you are and how much line you have out!!!!!

for the braid to mono/'fluoro connection, i learned that one from wendy tochihara with izorline. she was the one who told me to use a four turn uni instead of a one turn uni (a square knot) or two turn uni (a surgeons knot). as far as the braid side goes, everyone uses 10 up and 10 down. what i found was that the 10/10 connection did not cinch down as nicely as i wanted. with 8-up and 10-down, you still have the 10 wraps on top which is what you really want. it just looks really pretty this way.

as far as the overall strength of this connection, i don't know. it's just really easy for me to tie and it comes out the same every time. hasn't failed so far!!!!

what kind of connections to you use?