aquaholic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
What’s the best way to thaw out vacuum sealed bluefin? I have a bunch from a trip to San Diego. Ate a bunch when fresh but froze a bunch too. Robert

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Leave it sealed and place the bag in a sink full of cold water, Water conducts heat or cold better than air, it thaws without it getting warm or being exposed to air. I'm sure there's other ways but I've had the best results doing this

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Depends on how fast you need it thawed, both recommendations above are spot on. The wrap and thaw in fridge method probably give the best results, but the thaw in water method is the quickest way to go from frozen to food.

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
I’ll have time. If I want it ready by afternoon on thanksgiving when should I do the paper towel wrap thing?

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
I’ll have time. If I want it ready by afternoon on thanksgiving when should I do the paper towel wrap thing?
Sounds like you may be trying to thaw a lot if trying to feed the family for thanksgiving, so I would give myself 48hrs for a large amount.

Typically I seal 1-2lbs portions so it only takes 24hrs or so.

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
Sounds like you may be trying to thaw a lot if trying to feed the family for thanksgiving, so I would give myself 48hrs for a large amount.

Typically I seal 1-2lbs portions so it only takes 24hrs or so.
For me, this is spot on. Refrigerator, 24 hours for thin fillets, 36-48 for larger pieces. I cut package open an hour before cooking and pat dry thoroughly. Don’t care for thawing at above refrigerator temperatures, personally.

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Not a lot. Just a few bags of toro for an appetizer. So you think 24hrs wrapped in the fridge would do it?
Robert

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Leave it sealed and place the bag in a sink full of cold water, Water conducts heat or cold better than air, it thaws without it getting warm or being exposed to air. I'm sure there's other ways but I've had the best results doing this
Yes, and quick thaw will quickly reduce the ice crystals in the meat to a minimum. The meat is less mushy that way.

Freeze quickly.....thaw quickly equals better meat quality.

Reactions: Robsurf

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Personally, I thaw all my fish in the refrigerator, still sealed in the vacuum package. Always comes out well. Timing depends upon thickness of cut and the temperature your refrigerator. Why not take a trial run and see how long a sample pack takes?

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Holy snowflake!
Its 2 1/2 weeks until Thanksgiving.
Have you maybe thought about pulling out one package NOW to see how long it will take?
"but what will I do with the thawed piece of tuna, wils?"
ummmmm……. I could tell ya. but then i'd have to kill ya.

Reactions: mrkrabs

aquaholic

Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Ha. I’ve thawed out tons of fish both in the fridge and in a pot of water. Just wondering if there was a consensus on the best way to do bluefin for sashimi. My son is a sports boat captain and we have our own boat and do commercial so usually have plenty of fresh fish and haven’t had to freeze much lately. The big bluefin have changed that the past few years :-)

Reactions: jerryl and wils

scramblerj

Jan 23, 2013
San Diego
Name
Joe
Boat
Used to have one, don't anymore....
Personally, I thaw all my fish in the refrigerator, still sealed in the vacuum package. Always comes out well. Timing depends upon thickness of cut and the temperature your refrigerator. Why not take a trial run and see how long a sample pack takes?
This is how I do it, and it's always good to go, even for sashimi. Sometimes If I'm in a hurry, I'll put it in a bowl of cold water for literally just ten or fifteen minutes, which seems to really speed up the process without damaging the fish.

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
Daiso used to sell these little vegetable/fish boxes with a removable rack in it. Fit a 8x2x2 piece of fish perfectly. Not sure if they still carry them. They also have a vegetable steamer box that also does the work well.