That was one hell of a fish and one very long day!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Shark Meat, Sep 11, 2015.

1. g's toy

g's toy Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2301,swirl--sold
    Mike, great read and report. One does have to have a sense of humor sometimes when fishing. Went out on a sportie Thursday. Bait, 3 to maybe 4 inch chovies with a dozen mac's at best. Tough day, small yt's--maybe 5 to 8 pounds. Two good size yft landed by one of the groups. The rest of the yft-small. Low to mid teens on the dodos. Fished down SW the 302, further south. Later closer to the 12 mile limit to the C.I.'s, Mexican FMM's almost needed on this trip. Mike

Shark Meat likes this.
  2. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    Great trip write up Mike. Bottom of 9th with 2 outs and you hit a pinch hit single to ruin the no hitter. That's better than nothing. Sushi better taste good. LOL May the fish gods provide a stupid wfo bite on your next trip. :)

Shark Meat likes this.
  3. MILLBRO

MILLBRO Newbie

Name:
    JERRY
    Boat:
    SEY RAY 160
    Need to get a publisher for that write up. Nice work

Shark Meat likes this.
  4. zzzzzzHOOKUP

zzzzzzHOOKUP Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Great read! Hilarious
    Nice job getting the skunk off

Shark Meat likes this.
  5. JustFishn

JustFishn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    14' Livingston
    Hahaha comedy! I love it, at least you got one. I have had to many days of nada, and others catching fish doing exactly what I was doing
    Hopefully tomorrow morning I will make up for all the hours of nada!

Shark Meat likes this.
  6. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    "
    How weird, because that is exactly what I was thinking while we were out there, like picking up bowling or body piercing as a new hobby maybe.

Highly recommend it, I am now a big fan of anchovies by the way!

Thanks, I actually caught myself laughing randomly and uncontrollably out loud at inappropriate times occasionally throughout the day as you can imagine!

I cannot agree with you more! What the hell ever happened to HEYMON? I couldn't even try to emulate his quality prose. I miss those lengthy and hilarious reports with you three and the antics captured aboard the old "TRAILER TRASH" It is time to bring her back "old school style". Good luck out there today.

We didn't want any proof to capture just how much fun we really had out there. A very memorable day by itself!

Thanks, and it just so happens that I still have at least half a tank of mackerel in the freezer that I can prepare for you special just the way you like it -- Refer to the menu posted in OP above.

Thanks, you just gotta love happy endings! Don't you?

It is always the one thing that you don't try.

I should have emphasized that more in my write-up -- sometimes I'm too subtle people tell me that all the time too.

Thanks, of course the one day I forgot the Moray Eel jelly at home is when you need it, just my luck too.

Trust me when I tell you that I also prayed for some divine intervention, so technically I should be able to add that one to my list.

Hope it helps someone... reports good or bad right?

Again... too subtle, we did actually! Make no mistake that stripe was already fully developed and nearly became permanent by 1700. Thanks, as always Barry.

Thanks Chris, apparently I had a lot to say and I managed to find that I had a whole lot more free time on my hands last night than usual for some reason. The fish cleaning didn't seem to consume the majority of my time -- It went surprisingly smooth and quicker than normal.

Concur, Rich is a good dude and have actually worked with him years before -- not sure if he would remember though. If only we had anchovie juice it clearly and undoubtedly would have made a dramatic difference, but you gotta dance with what you bring.

It only got really really fishy for us very late in the day >1630 then it turned on in an obvious way that even we could recognize.

Thanks Cory, yours was a WFO report compared to ours. Nice work!

I tried to hail you once earlier in the day, Joe, but I suspect you were too far north at the time. What I wouldn't give for YOUR sardines that day. Had you brought them south to where we were, you would have been King Neptune for a day guaranteed! Next time...

I couldn't get bit wrapped in hamburger meat and thrown into the lion's cage that day.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Barry Chew likes this.
  7. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    No peanut butter and mackerel ?

Shark Meat likes this.
  8. Munnster

Munnster Member

Name:
    Michael Munn
    Boat:
    20 foot, Searay
    Well, if it is any consolation for you, at least your story was good for a few laughs!

Shark Meat likes this.
  9. Heymon

Heymon Newbie

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Sea Pro 235WA
    There are a few reasons this wasn't a Heymon report:

1) It wasn't long enough
    2) People on the water befriended you and actually tried to help you
    3) You caught something edible

Heymon

PS FWIW I would have taken the macks at the bait barge too. But I would have made an immediate U-turn and brought them straight to my Filipino in-laws, who would have clucked their great fortune that I married their daughter and provided many delicacies of the sea for them.

peshooter and Shark Meat like this.
  10. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    I always bring peanut butter and jellyfish sandwiches, in case they aren't biting the mackerel... :D

Shark Meat likes this.
  11. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Don't I know it! Thank you.

Shit, and I had some of that in the cooler too. My Dad kicked my ass when I swore once in my youth -- but since I can take him now I curse like a sailor, but it is still a bad habit to get into.

Thanks Mike, there were brief moments when I did lose my composure, I cannot lie... in spite of the rosy picture I painted for you all here I may have departed somewhat from my normal jovial self, just to keep it completely honest and above board.

Some who don't know me may have even mistaken it for an acute, advanced, but incurable case of Tourette's Syndrome. I got over it though... eventually.

Well, I'm still working on it really and aggressively, but someday... I'm hoping anyway. Maybe with professional help -- best in their field and they say there is a chance; albeit remote. Keep me in your prayers too, okay!

Mike, if only you knew how many foul balls I had to hit just to keep alive in the batter's box with the count stuck at 0 and 2 while the Marlin's Ace pitcher only threw strikes, before I finally connected? Ultimately, it was more of a dribbler and an unforced error that got me on base. Stupid Fish! Ready for STUPID WFO instead. Days like this make you really appreciate the good ones.

Thanks, I can't speak worth a shit, so writing is my ultimate fallback when things get bad. It's just a matter of time now anyway.

Thanks sometimes you just have to laugh when the smell gets to be too much.

Hope you get better-than-nada but report either way, thanks.

Yep, tried it!

I will take that and I can hold my head up for that less than stellar consolation prize -- I guess.

Very practical -- I completely understand! See HEYMON that's exactly what I'm talking about! That's good stuff right there -- Hilarious. No shit, where have you been? (And I demand an answer) Did you quit fishing altogether? Stop fishing with KMAN and KEPDAWG when the "TRAILER TRASH" finally sank or went to another owner I mean, so you are not as replete with report quality material? They kicked you off, voted you out of the tribe didn't they? What really happened? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants to know. Old school reporting at its finest IMHO. Bring it!

Damn it, I could have done that too. It was right there for the taking.

12. cooper669

cooper669 Member

Name:
    Damon
    Boat:
    yours
    I bet they wanted Smoked Mackerel:eek:

Shark Meat likes this.
  13. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Too bad you didn't have mackerel. We were getting them to go on chunk! :frehya2:

Nice report and a good read. Cool of Rich to help you out!

Shark Meat likes this.
  14. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Just thinking taking the mackeral might not have been your best choice and next time perhaps you should consider the anchovies?
    And great writeup!

Shark Meat likes this.
  15. YangReaper86

YangReaper86 Newbie

Name:
    Wang
    Boat:
    21' trophy pro
    Weird thing was last week they were hitting every macks we threw at them but we were chunking some grunion we found in our freezer

Shark Meat likes this.
  16. ben88888

ben88888 Member

Name:
    Benny
    Boat:
    2008 Defiance 250EX "Sea Monkey"
    Glad your persistence paid off. We were offered the two choices at the SD bait barge as well. Luckily, we opted for the chovies. One YFT is better than none!

Shark Meat likes this.
  17. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Hilarious recitation especially of various presentations of mackerel. Kind of like Bubba in Forrest Gump going on and on about ways to prepare shrimp and finally says something like, "Well, I guess that's about all of 'em..."

A+ on persistence too!

Good Fishin'!
    BDC OK

Shark Meat likes this.
  18. Heymon

Heymon Newbie

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Sea Pro 235WA
    I still have my boat with Sparks, but I slowed way down on fishing for a while. Had myself an Anchor Baby and just had too many irons in the fire. Before Kman sold his boat I was probably fishing on his boat more than mine, so when he sold I finally had an excuse to sleep in. I fished a little here and there but didn't really write much up. This latest bite has us interested again, and we moved the boat to a better spot (in Cabrillo) as far as fishing and everything else, so we'll be on the water a bit more. We went out a few times the past few weeks actually, but my write up is more new school these days due to Sparks having taken some sort of video editing class and buying a bunch of cameras. I posted on the inshore reports board a couple weeks ago if you want to check it out.

Keep up the good work and persistence, maybe I can learn from you!

Heymon

Shark Meat likes this.
  19. REELCLOSE

REELCLOSE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Reinell
    Very enjoyable story. Thank you.....

Shark Meat likes this.
  20. CD21

CD21 Member

Name:
    CD21
    Boat:
    none
    So I guess what you're trying to say is that mackerel didn't work??? o_O At least you got one! :It__s_Outta_Here:

Shark Meat likes this.