"That Guy" roll call

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Elitetv1958, Mar 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    I was on the trip with Capt Ahab and his "That Guy" who is also my "That Guy". There were definitely a few tense moments later in the trip as things got heated, but the beef was between two individuals and the rest of us just stayed out of the way.

That said Capt. Ahab needs to turn his filter up a notch or two on occasion (something i said to his face on the boat so I'm okay writing here)(I'll keep praying for you Ahab).

The person in question became "that guy" for me early on in the trip. I had dinner with him and the Seeker sponsor the night before the trip. I mentioned I was heading to the store after dinner and "that guy" asked me to pick up a couple of 12 packs. So I do, lugging them back to the boat on foot along with my own purchase. The next morning I tell "that guy" I have his beer in my room. "okay, I'll pay you for them." 2, 3,4 days go by and nothing. So I give "that guy" the receipt for the beer thinking that isn't a subtle hint. The next morning the receipt is still on the table right where I set it down in front of him the night before. The next day "that guy" asks me to put some of the beer in their cooler, so I do and it goes quickly. This goes on a few days and the beer is finished. In the end, "that guy" takes third in the jackpot and never pays me for the beer. Not only is he "that guy" as Capt. Ahab described, he's not even a man in my book. A man pays his debts.

2. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    This "that Guy" didn't do it on just one trip... He was on every trip I was on for like a month and a half.

3. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Name:
    Mark Rodman
    Boat:
    Upright
    I had to LAUGH Wayne!!!....Wayne & I had a GREAT TIME fishing together!!!....even made a few "personal" fishing bets...which I LOST!!!...so Wayne nicknamed me..."ATM"...

Wayne DIDN'T have to chase nor wait for Capt Ahab aka "ATM" to collect his stack of dead presidents....interesting that Lynn not only RAN AWAY from his involvement with me "on the dock"....but coincidentally....RAN AWAY from paying his beer tab!!!...

4. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    i can go on any boat and find some great skippers and crew. However it seems some boats attract an elite crowd. I like to fish with blue collar guys.

5. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Name:
    Mark Rodman
    Boat:
    Upright
    Fished with you on a couple of Loftus & Martin trips....LOTS of guys on those trips with DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP POCKETS!!!....hardly "Blue Collar"!!!...
    ....and as Andy would SCREAM at you....QUIT WASHING DOWN THE DECK!!!!

6. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Still stand by my statement Mark... that trip that we fished together was my choice because it catches the beginning of the long trips. And that gets first crack of the big fish. There are some that I just avoid and some I admire. I do not fish that group now.

Did you change the number of guides on your rods, I remember they were unique.

One visual that I can not get out of my head is you smearing the blood of a buck and a half all over your face. While the boat got their share of that size with two of the three slammers full, I remember you were disappointed with what you got. The boat did O.K. on them and wanted bigger ones so off to Clarion. (did not work out) Called fishing, not catching.

7. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Name:
    Mark Rodman
    Boat:
    Upright
    hello Bill; You memory is IMPECCABLE!!!....I will Always remember how generous & willing you were to share your Expertise & Knowledge!!....
    That trip was "special" for me because of the...."Cast of Characters" ...."Junkyard" with his balloon....& "Wahoo Bob" with "8" outfits DEDICATED to Wahoo!!!....Larry with his shirt pocket filled with $100.00 dollar bills to tip the deckhands to reel in his fish...."ace/Duece" with the jackpot of $1,200.00!!!....

I was on a COW for OVER 1-1/2 HOURS...at Deeeeeeep Color only to have a Senior Citizen Saaaaaaw me OFF....when he was in the BOW....& I was in the STERN!!....Old timer DIDN'T follow his fish!!!....Andy was next to me ....Gaff at the ready....When Andy saw me get SaaaaaaaWED off from 100Ft AWAY...he looked at me with a Measurable Visual Degree of Supreme Disgust...& told me....YOU JUST GOT FU$KED!!!!.....Wasn't the "1" first time...admittedly...Won'T be the Last!!!! ....

Average age was probably 70!!!...Whole vessel smelled like BEN-GAY!!!!...

In the morning the "old timers" would place their 20+++++ pills on the table tops...the vessel would list...10 degrees & the pills would MIX!!!....these old timers DID NOT KNOW!!!.....Who's pills they were taking!!!!....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....Long Range Memories!!!!!!!!

8. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Here's a quote that I have never forgotten about older fishermen......"Now be nice, you'll get old some day"......Tommy Rothery, Polaris Supreme circa 1990. Any now look, 27 years later? I should have been nice back then.

9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You know you are old when El Pollo Loco gives you the senior discount without you asking.

Cubeye, Olddog8 and Workplacesafety like this.
  10. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I get to fish this July on an Elite boat. I'm looking forward to 8 days of glory with an elite crowd. Gonna be on my best behavior, drink some expensive booze, and remember a friend of mine, Ray Jarvis. I'll do my best with the surface iron and at all costs not become "that guy"................................again.

titan05, Anglewood, dh515 and 3 others like this.
  11. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I have a slight issue with this, Bill, because I find it simply impossible to generalize. Regardless of educational background, work history, or personal wealth, some folks are just jerks, while others are great company. I really don't know where I fit in on anyone else' scale, but I know that I have met just as many blue collar jerks as "elite" jerks...and just as many true gentlemen (and ladies) too. I've seen a couple of cantankerous types have good trips and bad trips, in terms of how they interact with others, too.

The most common factor I've found among the legion of "That Guys," is heavy drinking. Drinking is cool, and lots of people can get a pretty good load on and still be a blast, but of those who seem to really cause problems, it seems like 80%+ drink to excess. Their problem is that they don't carry it well. They get beligerent, or sloppy, or just plain mean. They create problems and test the patience of everyone else. I have been really lucky in that I haven't come across very many true assholes on the deck, the people who make fishing frustrating or even legitimately dangerous. That kind of "That Guy" seems to be fairly rare on long range trips. It always seems to be the bad-tempered drunk that spoils the atmosphere for me.

I'm not really a blue collar guy, unless you count working in restaurants for many years, starting out washing dishes and ending up as an executive chef. That's a long time ago now, though, and I guess a writer would be considered white collar (even if my collar is usually a T-shirt). Even so, Bill, I hope you'll make an exception in my case. I'd really like to fish with you someday.

12. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Sure thing Jim.... there are some great people where ever you look. But still the people that are "that guy" could not survive in the blue collar world. Smart can get you in the entitled class but nepotism can too.

13. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I have come across perhaps half a dozen "that guys" during my time on the water. No need to tell stories or name names. Suffice it to say that is why I choose to fish charters and particular charters. I am not an elitist, I don't care what your background is or what you do for a living, I judge you on how you interact with me and others on the boat. Probably had more issues with professional types, but as posted earlier, the alcohol issue seems to be a common denominator, although that is not always the case. Some folks just have that "special" personality; it is always about them!

Anglewood, dh515 and Bill W like this.
  14. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Hmmmm......I think marking your fish tags a different color is a Good idea. Makes it easy to identify, easy to distinguish between a (i.e.) 3, 13, or 23. If you see the colored tag on the wrong pile, it's easy to spot. I used to use the colored cable ties on the tail end of my fish, but the idea caught on so well that half the boat on one charter was using them, so I gave up on that idea. So what's wrong with that? Oh, and I have NEVER seen that guy pick out only his fish when we were sorting the pile.

That being said, I think that you calling that guy a "that guy" is bogus, and YOU should be called a "that guy" for calling that guy a "that guy".

On another note, why don't you tell us the story about a "that guy" while you were in line waiting to board the boat on a long range trip? I think you called him "Weasel". His first name rhymes with Fart and his last name is the color of grass in the Spring. This story should fill a full page.

broton likes this.
  15. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    ROFL.

I know who you are talking about...

16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Arturo Verde! They broke the mold after he came along.

Cubeye likes this.
  17. LUCKY DAVE

LUCKY DAVE Member

Name:
    Ralph Kramden the Invincible
    Boat:
    60' Hatteras sportfish
    A damn goo thing too, I couldn't take more than one of him. Or a certain high school teacher.....

Workplacesafety likes this.
  18. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    One thing about that guy, he cant dance. 29 other guys on the boat, all doing a nice slow dance up toward the bow, the one they call the tuna shuffle. But not that guy. He cant slide left or right, he just sits in one place.

But God forbid he has a fish, he will dance then and expect you to dance out of his way even faster. That guy sure knows the rules when they apply to you.

Chrisben and Little Wing like this.
  19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    My one and so far only June Heat trip in '09, Art was on the trip. I was in the pointy end pulling on my first ever Cow when my line started getting pulled towards the square end. Tom was with me and we both were like WTF! Art was fishing the bottom trying to catch some of those bottom grabbers (Platinus, Threadfin Sculpin?) His line was wrapped several turns around mine. Luckily I was fishing my kite rig that had a 200 lb topshot. In disbelief, Tom just cut his line and told Art we were trying for game fish! ;)

Olddog8 and Cubeye like this.
  20. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    What will really kill you is "that guy" has caught 2 supers.

hilltop, ifish42na and Fishybuzz like this.