flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
The original plan was to fish local and try for yellowtail again, but somehow I got talked into running to the Tanner Bank.

The appeal was obvious. How often do we have the opportunity to target yellowfin and bluefin tuna in U.S. waters the day before Thanksgiving? Not to mention that a recent Santa Ana weather condition was calling for flat seas and no wind out on the bank.

On our way.

We made great time, arriving at the Bank just before 9:00 a.m. Having never fished the Tanner before, we decided to start at the high spot and troll around to locate a school of biting fish.

Eventually the rig towing a mackerel colored rapala started screaming and we landed a nice bluefin. We tossed a few dines over the side and they were boiled on immediately. We followed the chum with a few hooked baits and they were bit instantly as well.

After that initial flurry it turned into a slow plunker bite. Unfortunately we ended up going only 4 for 10 on the bluefin, losing most of our fish to marauding sea lions and a few to hammerhead sharks. We also landed some jumbo skipjack and bonito, but strangely enough we saw no signal of yellowfin tuna near the Tanner.

Knowing we had a long trip back, we begrudgingly decided to call it a day and headed back in around 2:00 p.m. Little did we know that this is where things would get really interesting.

As we were just about to round the tip of San Clemente Island we spotted a big pod of dolphin with birds diving all around, so we decided to put out a couple trollers, and got a double hook-up on yellowfin tuna almost immediately.

This turned out to be a huge school of fish that hit everything we threw at them. We took what we wanted and left them biting full speed. It was incredible.

Needless to say the ride back went by really fast.

For a Thanksgiving appetizer we had fresh toro sashimi and it was melt in your mouth amazing. Both the bluefin and yellowfin tuna were full of squid, and a few had also dined on some small spanish mackerel.

I honestly didn’t think I would be catching tuna again in U.S. waters until next summer, but now I am wondering if these fish will ever leave? Water temperature was 64-65 at the Tanner and about the same off the West End of Clemente.

Jonathan

Upvote 0

Cash Money

Cash Money
Jul 30, 2009
Studio City, CA USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
Cash Money
Truly epic Jonathan. Not happy that I wasn't with you on this trip. I am glad you went and what a day of fishing this late in the season. The pics are awesome as usual. I hope they stick around. Maybe we will get them in December. Congrats again.

Upvote 0

GETSUM

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2007
Name
ERIC G.
Boat
22' ROBALO CC "ON ONE"
GET DOWN BRO!

Upvote 0

PD41

Jul 15, 2014
Redondo
Name
Butch
Boat
20' Bertram
Insane how you always find fish that nobody else does.
Thanksgiving Tuna at Clemente, Wow.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Just WOW!!!

Big gamble few of us would take, congrats brother, it just doesn't get any better than that!!!

Did your return course take you around the west end of Cat? That would put the YFT about 15 miles off the west end of Clemente?

Upvote 0