Thanksgiving in Gonzaga

Feb 28, 2016
sb
Name
Jose Caballero
Boat
"Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
who's going down that week? I'll be taking the "RV" (it's only kind of an RV) for the first time, but been there six other week-long trips, stoked to network with anyone else going down (maybe we can set a radio channel?).

One thing I've never unlocked: I can only find teeny micro-baits, but nothing to hook up on my Sabiki. has ANYONE ever made bait down there?

Reactions: Baja Bound
B
Baja Bound
Heading down tomorrow, we typically use Bonita for large groupers, we have also caught smaller versions off rocks bait caught with Sabiki.
BTW , do you the min tide require to launch at papá , have a 20 Boston whaler ?

enjoy you Thanks giving day trip ,
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    who's going down that week? I'll be taking the "RV" (it's only kind of an RV) for the first time, but been there six other week-long trips, stoked to network with anyone else going down (maybe we can set a radio channel?).

One thing I've never unlocked: I can only find teeny micro-baits, but nothing to hook up on my Sabiki. has ANYONE ever made bait down there?
    For the bait question, depends what you’re fishing for. Large grouper? Bass, small Sierra will work. I’ve also seen large fish chasing mullet up on the beach. But not really any sardine or mackerel type baits around the area.

Reactions: pascuale and denis
    Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat
    I might be interested. How is the weather/ conditions that time of the year and whats bitting?
    weather is usually trunks&t-shirt, maybe sweats at dawn... average morning is still and beautiful, breezy-windy in the afternoons. it's not an especially windy season in my experience but the winds can get REALLY spicy around there (i've had the worst headwind of my boating life down there, actually truly scared for an hour or so). the bite can be hit or miss. orange-lipped corvina is likely, grouper if you can find them, cabrilla/sardinera in the rocks, sometimes yellowtail and sierra here and there... and white seabass can be anything from zero to excellent. i've had some fun surface action in november there, and i've had some excellent yo-yo and casting iron there... and i've had a few pretty discouraging days down there, too.

Upvote 0

Rufo

Rufo
    May 23, 2006
    Around the Way
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Yes
    What’s up Jose, sounds like you pretty much got it nailed for Nov. I’ve had great yellowtail and corvina fishing and also gale force winds around Turkey Day. Just depends on what Mother Nature has to offer.

As far as bait, I’ve never been able to get anything like mackeral, sardine or similar on sabiki and my friends that live and fish for a living there tell me it’s really, really rare any time of the year. The spotted bay bass work pretty good for grouper and bigger cabrilla if you get on the right reef.

I’ve tried squid a few times with not much result except trigger fish. The corvina bite really good on cut corvina if you can get one on a jig but can usually do just as good on the jig so prob only relevant if you just want to bait fish.

Give me a call or text. I’ve got a few other things to share if you interested.

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Lots of micro bait but have caught Macs in front of Alfonsinas in 30-50 feet of water, south side of homes. Also inside the cove where the whale bones used to wash up just inside cactus point.
    I did catch a 70lb gulfy on a spotted bay bass though in April.

Reactions: Jose Caballero
    Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    I might be interested. How is the weather/ conditions that time of the year and whats bitting?
    Cool weather, beautiful sunsets. Its a great time to be there weather wise. Usually Yellows and Juan has been getting some nice grouper too. Its a magical place. Make sure to try out the new restaurant at Rancho Grande. Great cheap food.

Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat
    A little bump as the trip draws near. Does anyone have recent reports? Particularly golden reef or south towards asamblea…

Upvote 0