Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
Nice of WDFW to give us a little notice, but why be surprised by their actions!!! SOBtch

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501

July 7, 2020

Shrimp fishery closes in Marine Area 7 West

Action: This action closes the recreational shrimp fishery in Marine Area 7 West.

Effective date: July 7, 2020

Species affected: Spot shrimp and non-spot shrimp.

Reason for action: Preliminary catch estimates indicate the State harvest target has been met for spot shrimp in this area.

Additional information: This closes Marine Area 7 West to recreational harvest of both spot shrimp and non-spot shrimps. Marine Areas 7 South and 10 are also closed to recreational harvest of both spot shrimp and non-spot shrimps. Marine Areas 6 (excluding the Dungeness Bay Shrimp District), 7 East, 8-1, 8-2, 9, 11, and 13 are open for the recreational harvest of non-spot shrimp. Please check regulations for depth and gear restrictions. Marine Area 12 will open July 15 and 28 from 9 a.m. through 1 p.m. each day for all shrimp species.

Information contact: Don Velasquez, Fish and Wildlife Biologist. (425) 775-1311 ext. 112.

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
And this is shocking? Driving south on the opener I seen at least 30 boats headed north. Reality is that all of the boat owners in the state bought them to use them. Season opens you go right? Area 7 salmon opens with a small quota and should be done right about the time area 9 opens and so on. It’s the new normal, hate to say it but get used to it.

Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
University Place Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
WDFW's Katelyn Bosely, Lead Crustacean biologist, sent an email out this morning to members of the crab and shrimp advisory group putting members on notice of the imminent closure of 7W. That email included the following: " buoy count data indicate that effort this year has far exceeded what we have seen in Marine Areas 6 and 7 in past years - up to a 900% increase in average buoy counts. This level of increased effort was entirely unexpected and ultimately has led to early closures of the shrimp fishery in Discovery Bay, Marine Area 6 and now MA 7W, which will remain closed starting this week."

When there is a finite harvest quota that unanticipated magnitude of increase in activity will eat up the quota in a hurry.

Reactions: ClintFinger
Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Nice of WDFW to give us a little notice, but why be surprised by their actions!!! SOBtch

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501

July 7, 2020

Shrimp fishery closes in Marine Area 7 West

Action: This action closes the recreational shrimp fishery in Marine Area 7 West.

Effective date: July 7, 2020

Species affected: Spot shrimp and non-spot shrimp.

Reason for action: Preliminary catch estimates indicate the State harvest target has been met for spot shrimp in this area.

Additional information: This closes Marine Area 7 West to recreational harvest of both spot shrimp and non-spot shrimps. Marine Areas 7 South and 10 are also closed to recreational harvest of both spot shrimp and non-spot shrimps. Marine Areas 6 (excluding the Dungeness Bay Shrimp District), 7 East, 8-1, 8-2, 9, 11, and 13 are open for the recreational harvest of non-spot shrimp. Please check regulations for depth and gear restrictions. Marine Area 12 will open July 15 and 28 from 9 a.m. through 1 p.m. each day for all shrimp species.

Information contact: Don Velasquez, Fish and Wildlife Biologist. (425) 775-1311 ext. 112.
Wow. Fucking you right out in the open.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
up to a 900% increase in average buoy counts. This level of increased effort was entirely unexpected and ultimately has led to early closures of the shrimp fishery in Discovery Bay, Marine Area 6 and now MA 7W, which will remain closed starting this week.

Please explain this to me like I'm the village idiot, as I am. What does 900% increase in average buoy counts mean? They just count buoys in the water, and not actual shrimp count? Nine times the shrimp buoy's in MA6 & MA7 west..really?? I have not shrimped MA6-7 west this year but those who have, have you guys seen almost ten times the amount of buoys you usually see?

The one day South Sound opener, I would say maybe 1.5 more boats, and same amount of shrimp.

They count buoys, not actual shrimp, nor do they rely on their own test pots????

Last year the season went into September I believe, the year before they shut it down the exact same time (+/- a couple days) July 6th.

9/10 times I do not subscribe to conspiracy theory BS. Something is NOT adding up here.

Upvote 0

Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
I decided to NOT shrimp last Thursday -Sunday due to the big tide swings AND the fact it was a national holiday. Figuring things would be over run with people escaping quarantine. I smugly said, "self, patience, just go Thursday the 7th". Now I know not to talk to myself or assume anything logical with WDFW.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
The one day I shrimped in MA6 this year was very definitely the most buoys I've seen on that bank before. I did see the plane do the fly over too.
That said; was it the usual pilot/plane - observer crews doing the work? If not , how experienced were the crews working?
In normal years buoy counts and dock checks combine to determine catch. On the inner sound opener I was interviewed by the usual Edmonds checker, but he was not sampling random shrimp weights. I have not seen a checker the two times I launched off Whidbey this year. So, WDFW is certainly making their in season management decisions with less information than usual. How many scientific standards have been abused during this emergency?????

The non spot shrimp closures confuse me a bit. It was always a tough sell to get folks to seriously go after those back in my retail days. My own efforts in chasing them have been frustrating to say the least. I think the little buggers show up in my prawn pots just to taunt me into another summer goose chase! Rich Childers told me years ago that the rec fleet made few inroads on our non spot shrimp share..........SO, if some of you rats are holding out on all the coonstripes you're scarfing up I'm going to have my grandmother's ghost curse you all! :-)

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
Jul 6, 2012
North of seattle
Name
Blackmouther
Boat
9' bullfrog "mr big"
This isn’t rocket science. When seasons allowed we all fished our backyards. Who the fuck wants to tow a boat 80 to 100 miles to recreate? But as seasons condense and we go from 11 months of fishing to maybe 2 at best the real fishermen go to the available fishery. It’s been said for years that pressure will shut down and destroy fisheries by many of us selfish asshole “whiners” but here we are. No fault to anyone as we’re all feeling the same pain but c’mon. Opportunity is opportunity. If you own a boat and are stuck at home because of the scamdemic it’s only right you hook up your future yard ornament or recycle and go to an open fishery. I would like to personally thank John Martines and Tom Nelson. Thank you for making it possible for everyone on the planet to be successful, without you guys we wouldn’t be able to say RIP A7, A9, A10, A8.1-2, A6, the bubble, Elliot bay. You guys killed it. Hope the free boat and tackle sales bid you well. It’s amazing guys, I can’t believe you pulled it off. Guessing Tuna and trout in the high lakes are next considering that’s the grand finale for you guys. Nice work guys!

Reactions: Grady226
Upvote 0

bertman

Almost A Member
Aug 25, 2010
Centralia/WA/US
Name
bert grylls
Boat
23' NR Seahawk
Fuck WA F & W; and their BS, if I didn’t love fishing so much I would quit and not buy a license, basically like I have for hunting (only go out of state), they got me, I put up with BS

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    This isn’t rocket science. When seasons allowed we all fished our backyards. Who the fuck wants to tow a boat 80 to 100 miles to recreate? But as seasons condense and we go from 11 months of fishing to maybe 2 at best the real fishermen go to the available fishery. It’s been said for years that pressure will shut down and destroy fisheries by many of us selfish asshole “whiners” but here we are. No fault to anyone as we’re all feeling the same pain but c’mon. Opportunity is opportunity. If you own a boat and are stuck at home because of the scamdemic it’s only right you hook up your future yard ornament or recycle and go to an open fishery. I would like to personally thank John Martines and Tom Nelson. Thank you for making it possible for everyone on the planet to be successful, without you guys we wouldn’t be able to say RIP A7, A9, A10, A8.1-2, A6, the bubble, Elliot bay. You guys killed it. Hope the free boat and tackle sales bid you well. It’s amazing guys, I can’t believe you pulled it off. Guessing Tuna and trout in the high lakes are next considering that’s the grand finale for you guys. Nice work guys!

Yes... and all the shit bags that want attention on FB.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies

I agree with everything you said Travis. The only part I stumbled on was "scamdemic". I thought you were the: hunker down and obey Jay or were all gonna die guy, just a few months ago?

Reactions: Ugly Bayliner
    Upvote 0

Phish'n Phool

Jul 15, 2010
    Wet Side
    Name
    Par
    Boat
    Pursuit OS 355
    I’ve shrimped MA7 for many years. By far, this year had the most pressure regardless of the day. 900% more? I don’t even know what that means. But there were way more boats and with the late start, we have nicer weather for every size of boat to join the madness. Still surprised by the early shutdown given the volume of shrimp still around. I saw pots in 75ft-550ft of water which tells me there are plenty of folks that aren’t limiting out. The buoy counting method is absolute BS

Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
    University Place Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
    I’ve shrimped MA7 for many years. By far, this year had the most pressure regardless of the day. 900% more? I don’t even know what that means. But there were way more boats and with the late start, we have nicer weather for every size of boat to join the madness. Still surprised by the early shutdown given the volume of shrimp still around. I saw pots in 75ft-550ft of water which tells me there are plenty of folks that aren’t limiting out. The buoy counting method is absolute BS

I believe that the buoy counts provided some magnitude of effort which when compared to prior years resulted in the closure to avoid exceeding the rec quota. The buoy counts will be integrate with creel counts and if sufficient quota remains there could be additional day(s) according to WDFW's Katelyn Bosely. Painful as it may be it is less painful than having to implement paybacks in future years. One only needs to look at the loss this season of a second day of shrimping in MA 9, 8-1 and 8-2 or the shortened 2019 and 2020 crab seasons in MA 10.

Upvote 0