PENN

MattyV

Oct 14, 2012
Long beach Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
Mare Virgo/ Novella
I assume this has to o with electrolysis issue? Why not brass?

I believe brass is not a very "noble" metal when compared to bronze and would Not last long in contact with with the salt water and is very susceptible electrolysis/galvanic corrosion.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I assume this has to o with electrolysis issue? Why not brass?

Correct. Potential galvanic/electrolysis issue. Brass has too much zinc which will be the first to go if there is anything going on. Leaves you with a porous frail fitting. I do see some fittings they call "red brass" which is similar to bronze and generally OK to use. It is a different alloy that does not have the zinc. Usually see it in some pipe fittings.

Aluminum boats can use metal fittings if they are isolated from the hull but in small boats Marelon is easier so there is no potential dissimilar metal issues.

Also another reason not to use PVC valves on thru hulls is most PVC fittings are NPT and thru hulls are NST. Mixing the two threads is a big no-no!!

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Bill88

Jun 1, 2012
Santee, Ca.
Name
Bill Fleming
Boat
N/A
The PMS escapeII went out in search of its share of the tuna bounty. We left our slip at Marina Cortez around 10 am versus 10 pm like normal. Quick stop at the fuel dock and then over to Everingham for some very healthy sardines. We decided to head towards the 43 to give a report of what's there since we hadn't seen to many reports. The water was beautiful and calm with so much life it was like Life of Pi. We saw an awesome gray whale casually go by us with a hammerhead maybe 15 minutes later. We come up to a small boil around a patty with a mola mola just cruising around it. Pat decides to hook up a sardine and give it a shot. Within 2 minutes rod is bent and a couple minutes later skunk is off the boat. We're only 1 hour in and already have a yellow tail on board. We decide to slow troll towards the nine mile bank with dines after 30 minutes with nothing we switch to the old stand by (2) black and purple feathers and a cedar plug. Within 15 minutes triple jig strike. After the normal Chinese fire drill filled with laughter and tension 3 nice Bonita in the 10 pound range were flopping on the deck. After a bunch of high fives we decide to keep trolling towards the 43. We trolled for hours of nothing. On the radio we hear we should have stayed at the nine, but wanted to at least let our boater buddies know where not to go. After getting close to the 43 we turn and start heading back and this is where the story begins...
After about five minutes I notice my battery gauges showing they are down, then radar and gps start reading low battery. Pat opens the hatch and yells to call a immediate May Day to the Coast Guard. I have fished with Pat for over 40 years and he doesn't kid about that. I go to radio and all gauges and power goes out. It appears we have 2 feet of water in both engine hatches and filling. Immediately we get the kids bucketing water out and we grab a spare battery that we cut the power wires to the battery and immediately hot wire the radio. We get a distress call off. Two boater buddies came by to offer assistance if needed. Thank you for the comfort fishing vessels Jaw breaker and Grace your presence supplied comfort that we at least weren't treading water if need be waiting for help. Within literally 20 minutes a coast guard helicopter circled us and dropped us a trash pump. This helped get most of the water out I tried calling my wife, but we were out of range. I sent a text, "boat sinking, we're fine coast guard on the way".
At least we are getting water out faster than it's coming in. Within minutes of that a coast guard vessel that looks like a zodiac on steroids shows up. Two guardsmen come aboard and within five minutes they found a through fitting that had broke and plugged it. From that moment on it was just getting us back to dock. They stayed with us until the Coast Guard vessel Petrol came and got us hooked up and towed us towards our meeting with vessel assist. The vessel assist guy remembers PMS escape 1 and many times he'd pull us in due to running out of gas because the fish were too far.

The Coast Guard calmed down a very serious situation. They calmly knew what to do and it was obvious that all their training made this smooth. They were very well organized from the dispatcher, both vessels. The fact that they called my wife to let her know we were ok, got us a pump immediately coordinated vessel assist, true heroes. To my new boater buddies Grace and Jaw breaker, wevwill always be there for you. To the sail boat that blew by us while putting out distress calls, my next flare round is for your sail. Thanks bloody decks for allow this forum.. 3 Bonita, 1 yellow tail, a trip that I'll never forget. Thank you coast guard.

The PMS escapeII went out in search of its share of the tuna bounty. We left our slip at Marina Cortez around 10 am versus 10 pm like normal. Quick stop at the fuel dock and then over to Everingham for some very healthy sardines. We decided to head towards the 43 to give a report of what's there since we hadn't seen to many reports. The water was beautiful and calm with so much life it was like Life of Pi. We saw an awesome gray whale casually go by us with a hammerhead maybe 15 minutes later. We come up to a small boil around a patty with a mola mola just cruising around it. Pat decides to hook up a sardine and give it a shot. Within 2 minutes rod is bent and a couple minutes later skunk is off the boat. We're only 1 hour in and already have a yellow tail on board. We decide to slow troll towards the nine mile bank with dines after 30 minutes with nothing we switch to the old stand by (2) black and purple feathers and a cedar plug. Within 15 minutes triple jig strike. After the normal Chinese fire drill filled with laughter and tension 3 nice Bonita in the 10 pound range were flopping on the deck. After a bunch of high fives we decide to keep trolling towards the 43. We trolled for hours of nothing. On the radio we hear we should have stayed at the nine, but wanted to at least let our boater buddies know where not to go. After getting close to the 43 we turn and start heading back and this is where the story begins...
After about five minutes I notice my battery gauges showing they are down, then radar and gps start reading low battery. Pat opens the hatch and yells to call a immediate May Day to the Coast Guard. I have fished with Pat for over 40 years and he doesn't kid about that. I go to radio and all gauges and power goes out. It appears we have 2 feet of water in both engine hatches and filling. Immediately we get the kids bucketing water out and we grab a spare battery that we cut the power wires to the battery and immediately hot wire the radio. We get a distress call off. Two boater buddies came by to offer assistance if needed. Thank you for the comfort fishing vessels Jaw breaker and Grace your presence supplied comfort that we at least weren't treading water if need be waiting for help. Within literally 20 minutes a coast guard helicopter circled us and dropped us a trash pump. This helped get most of the water out I tried calling my wife, but we were out of range. I sent a text, "boat sinking, we're fine coast guard on the way".
At least we are getting water out faster than it's coming in. Within minutes of that a coast guard vessel that looks like a zodiac on steroids shows up. Two guardsmen come aboard and within five minutes they found a through fitting that had broke and plugged it. From that moment on it was just getting us back to dock. They stayed with us until the Coast Guard vessel Petrol came and got us hooked up and towed us towards our meeting with vessel assist. The vessel assist guy remembers PMS escape 1 and many times he'd pull us in due to running out of gas because the fish were too far.

The Coast Guard calmed down a very serious situation. They calmly knew what to do and it was obvious that all their training made this smooth. They were very well organized from the dispatcher, both vessels. The fact that they called my wife to let her know we were ok, got us a pump immediately coordinated vessel assist, true heroes. To my new boater buddies Grace and Jaw breaker, wevwill always be there for you. To the sail boat that blew by us while putting out distress calls, my next flare round is for your sail. Thanks bloody decks for allow this forum.. 3 Bonita, 1 yellow tail, a trip that I'll never forget. Thank you coast guard.
I was an angler aboard the vessel jawbreaker. We heard your distress call,we rolled in our lines and ran the 9 miles north to assist in anyway we could. I was up in the tuna tower when I noticed through the binocs the sailboat motor right on past. We also drove by three sport boats heading in and neither of them changed course to assist or offered help over the radio. We were a mile out when the coast guard helicopter arrived on site. I'm glad we were able to give you some comfort knowing if you had to get your passengers off there was a boat standing by. Always there to assist when ever needed at sea !

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
Glad you guys are all right! Thank God for the coast guard.
Ive had water coming in from a line on my washdown where the clamp failed and that's when I found out that the float switch was mounted too high in the bilge- Everyone should check on this periodically- On my way outside to test my float switch in the driveway.

I check my switch before every trip. I've had 2 go out this year! Both were warrantied by west marine...3rd one I said no thanks let's try something different!

Reactions: Full Eclipse
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I was an angler aboard the vessel jawbreaker. We heard your distress call,we rolled in our lines and ran the 9 miles north to assist in anyway we could. I was up in the tuna tower when I noticed through the binocs the sailboat motor right on past. We also drove by three sport boats heading in and neither of them changed course to assist or offered help over the radio. We were a mile out when the coast guard helicopter arrived on site. I'm glad we were able to give you some comfort knowing if you had to get your passengers off there was a boat standing by. Always there to assist when ever needed at sea !

Bonus Karma points for you Bill!!!

Not defending them but I would guess that the sailboat had no VHF on.

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Use PVC above the waterline only. Like for galley drains, bilge discharge etc.

Cool video. Those coasties dont mess around!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I keep a pack of those assorted cone shaped dowels and a small tub of that toilet gasket wax stuff on board .I feel everyone should have these low cost items stashed on the boat.
I also have an acr epirb just incase loss of radio or in an immediate emergency in a life threatening situation.Once you have the epirb its about $325 bucks to put a fresh battery in it every 5 years.....that equates to $65 a year for life assurance knowing that the flick of a switch and the coast guard will be on their way gps cords. and all.

Always be prepared for worst case scenario.

Reactions: bajaandy
Upvote 0

arik lerner

Aug 29, 2009
san diego ca usa
Name
arik
Boat
topcat 42 thermadine
3 things your boat is not probably bonded I mean you should have a copper nice size gage to the thu hull and to the zinc, then a high water alarm or at least a float switch to the pump and should always check the engine room every few hours

Reactions: jacknpole
Upvote 0

FishinChic

Almost A Member
May 15, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Karen
Boat
Bubba Jean 28

WTF!! Anyone close by not offering assistance sucks!!
Glad the group on the Jawbreaker went to help! You guys rock!

Reactions: Mike Jernigan
Upvote 0

Mike Jernigan

May 31, 2014
Name
PMS Escape II
Boat
PMS escape II

After seeing hammerheads in the area the last thing I wanted for the crew was to be in the water. If the boat sinks, it sinks, but safety of the passengers is first. Knowing we had you and Grace in the area, we knew we could spend extra effort to get the water out. Then the Coast Guard showed up with pump, rotor wash destroying our izenglass and canopy, small price to pay. Once the pump got on board, water was finally going out faster than coming in. After looking at boat yesterday, I didn't realize how deep our boat actually is and now can see that we had a lot more water in boat than previously thought.

We have always been a "boater buddy" and will always be that way. Pats' dad always taught us the Mariner rule, you always pull poles in when there is a distress call. You never know if your needed, but you can't help if your not there. I am extremely grateful for the comfort your boat and the Grace supplied us. Cold ones on me next time we are out again. I never radio fish and will make sure I contact you guys anytime we are out and share numbers. Thank you and your crew for being there, true heroes, true mariners.

Mike

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Hoping for some good Karma… if I too should need it desperately someday:

Many years ago (in the 90's) we pulled our lines in on a hot bite while on the Farnsworth Bank to respond to a MAY DAY call. We were first on scene by about 15 minutes to pull a Bayliner off the rocks from the west side of Catalina. It had lost power, the owner was instructed to deploy his anchor and have everyone don life vests (per usual) while we were still motoring over.

As we arrived a younger man had already jumped from the vessel with a rope and had climbed up some sharp-slippery-rocks in a desperate attempt to keep the boat off the rocks, but was losing strength and losing the battle quickly. He had already scrapped himself up pretty good and his legs were bleeding badly. The older man was still onboard with his 9 year old daughter and both were very much stressed and panicked as he communicated via radio.

We finally got a couple of strong ropes secured to the bow, but had to convince the young man to let go of his rope, jump back into the water and swim over to us before we could complete the tow off the rocks. Now our engines were precariously close to the rocks too and it could have gotten much worse with two boats on the rocks, but luckily everything worked out. It was several more minutes before the CG helo saw us. About 5-10 minutes later the big yellow Baywatch boat finally arrived and was able to relieve us on tow.

Reading this thread pissed me right off -- you might be able to figure out why:

Now, my boys and I have been way offshore many many times over the years by ourselves including during their youngest years and often in much less capable craft than the one we presently own; always prepared and always in well maintained sea-going vessels – but as you know, if you have done this long enough, shit happens out there all the time! ALL the TIME!

We have witnessed other vessels capsize right before our very eyes. We have motored home on a single engine TOO MANY times now, we’ve had batteries fail 50 miles out, broken our steering linkage bolt twice, lost our electronics and GPS multiple times; we’ve had bilge pumps fail – we’ve been forced to pump water out manually, but we’ve always made it home safely and under our own power -- KNOCK ON WOOD! I haven’t had to exercise my BOAT US Gold Card while underway thus far (Member since 1994), but came very close – too close.

You definitely have to possess some MacGyver skills if you operate a boat.

As a 20 year Naval Officer and Aviator with years of water survival training in the event of an over water ejection or worse yet in the event of getting blown off the flight deck of an aircraft carrier at night and manage to survive the 70 foot fall – my worst nightmare! I know several people, unfortunately, who have had to spend time on the water bobbing around hoping for and awaiting rescue – three immediately come to mind who only by the grace of God narrowly escaped death as they were miraculously located and rescued mere moments before succumbing to hypothermia right here off of SOCAL. There are many others who were not so fortunate.

That said the last thing I ever wanted to do was to teach my sons how to drown-proof real-time for some emergent on the spot survival training, because you or someone else nearby elected not to respond to our signal flare or MAY DAY call because it may have inconvenienced you in some way or may have adversely affect your day. Someone else will take care of it, right?

Furthermore, if any harm came to my sons and I later found out that you had the opportunity and were in a position to assist us, but decided not to for whatever reason, I will find you.

Remember, this could be you or your kids someday and Karma can be a ruthless bitch. You would have to live with yourself knowing that you could have, should have, would have, but didn’t. Kudos to those who helped -- Shame on those who did not. Trust me; you want to keep Karma on your side, someday you may need her and she is either nowhere to be found or has transformed into Karma's evil twin sister.

Rant off. Glad you made it back to tell the tale. Big props to the Coasties "Semper Paratus" - Thank you indeed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mike Jernigan

May 31, 2014
Name
PMS Escape II
Boat
PMS escape II
I keep a pack of those assorted cone shaped dowels and a small tub of that toilet gasket wax stuff on board .I feel everyone should have these low cost items stashed on the boat.
I also have an acr epirb just incase loss of radio or in an immediate emergency in a life threatening situation.Once you have the epirb its about $325 bucks to put a fresh battery in it every 5 years.....that equates to $65 a year for life assurance knowing that the flick of a switch and the coast guard will be on their way gps cords. and all.

Always be prepared for worst case scenario.
We had them, we couldn't find the leak, the water was too high inside motor compartment. Once we got the 2000 gal per minute pump on board were we able to find and plug the hole. The Coast Guard and all the news outlets were commenting ON how well prepared we were versus the boat in Florida who was out to sea for 7 days before rescue. Pictures don't do it justice, they basically show after the pump was on board and water was pumping out. Before the pump got there the swim step was about 12" under water and water was as far forward as the V berth. Thank you Coast Guard, Jaw Breaker Grace and Vessel Assist

Upvote 0

brawnyboss

Mar 8, 2007
lakeside
Name
Patrick
Boat
25',thunderbird,PMS Escape
Just a question about the boat. Are the batteries below deck, below the water line? Have you considered moving the batteries above deck.
As one of the members of this crew hindsite tells me that a high water alarm and elevating the batteries is on the repair list. and to answer another question it was an older thru hull that broke, looked safe never had leaked before on several trips out. Again Many thanks to Grace who answered and call and to the Jawbreaker both vessels came running to our aid. It was good to see someone headed our way right after the sail went right on by within 1/4 mile and we had just sent up a flare be fore we the radio working again. Again Many thanks to the Coast Guard

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
As one of the members of this crew hindsite tells me that a high water alarm and elevating the batteries is on the repair list. and to answer another question it was an older thru hull that broke, looked safe never had leaked before on several trips out. Again Many thanks to Grace who answered and call and to the Jawbreaker both vessels came running to our aid. It was good to see someone headed our way right after the sail went right on by within 1/4 mile and we had just sent up a flare be fore we the radio working again. Again Many thanks to the Coast Guard

Good upgrades. God bless the Jawbreaker, Grace, PMS II and the coasties.

We had them, we couldn't find the leak, the water was too high inside motor compartment. Once we got the 2000 gal per minute pump on board were we able to find and plug the hole. The Coast Guard and all the news outlets were commenting ON how well prepared we were versus the boat in Florida who was out to sea for 7 days before rescue. Pictures don't do it justice, they basically show after the pump was on board and water was pumping out. Before the pump got there the swim step was about 12" under water and water was as far forward as the V berth. Thank you Coast Guard, Jaw Breaker Grace and Vessel Assist

I know I don't have to tell YOU this but that is WAY to f'in close. Many people would not have been able to save it.

Upvote 0

40Grit

Sep 9, 2009
Newport Beach California
Name
Steve Brown
Boat
Radovich 34
Interesting that the sailboat happily sailed by. as you might have guessed by my avatar I am a sailor. as a group we are the worst at monitoring 16, abysmally bad. as a fisherman, I am constantly on the radio, and monitor 16. only as of late during offshore races have we sailors been kicked in the ass enough to keep the radio tuned.
I have noticed in Mexico when I have tried to raise sailboats in Cortez, that only about half of them are monitoring. your flare gun solution would have been very appropriate. Glad you and yours were on it!!!! Nice work. and defiantly a wake up call for batteries location. or set up to maintain an air bubble?
Clearly you and your crew have been to the Movie many times. and yes I too have run out of gas offshore.

Upvote 0

capt brian

Jul 5, 2006
spring valley
Name
capt brian
Boat
31 bertam
I would suggest to all persons that own a boat to take a least a boaters safety course!!
Better yet a USCG captains course.
I have my 50ton masters license from the Maritime Institute. The course is extensive and has saved me more than once from going down in a bad situation. They teach you how to rite a life raft without knocking your self out ,tread water while using your shirt to make a live vest, fight fires,ect.
Don't just drive a boat be a captain!!!!!!

Upvote 0

delta 43

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2008
huntington beach ca usa
Name
carl
Boat
43 delta Windsong
Interesting that the sailboat happily sailed by. as you might have guessed by my avatar I am a sailor. as a group we are the worst at monitoring 16, abysmally bad. as a fisherman, I am constantly on the radio, and monitor 16. only as of late during offshore races have we sailors been kicked in the ass enough to keep the radio tuned.
I have noticed in Mexico when I have tried to raise sailboats in Cortez, that only about half of them are monitoring. your flare gun solution would have been very appropriate. Glad you and yours were on it!!!! Nice work. and defiantly a wake up call for batteries location. or set up to maintain an air bubble?
Clearly you and your crew have been to the Movie many times. and yes I too have run out of gas offshore.
Sail boaters are fags.:-)

Reactions: bigmike58
Upvote 0

bugman

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2004
san diego
Name
bob sciacqua
Boat
15' gregor baja , 17' Boston Whaler "Bella Serra"
I'd like to know who the Sporties were who wouldn't answer a MAYDAY. I've had to assist boaters in the past and would NEVER ignore a mayday if I was in the area.

Upvote 0