Thank you Bloody Decks! Success on the Magic!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Oahu bound, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Oahu bound

Oahu bound Landlocked fishing addict

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    The "man I really wish I had one"
    So just like most charters or days fishing I started today on a good note. I caught a cab instead of driving, I had to work some good karma up before I set foot on the Magic.

I'm staying at the embassy suites on beach walk and catching a cab to kewalo is a 8$ ride, leaving the change to the cab driver and seeing his reaction was awesome. This was bound to have some good effect on the fishing. Oh and one little thing. I was supposed to take my father in law but I thought my women called him but she didn't, and he speaks Visayan and I don't lol. So here I am at 4 am with her pissed that I wasn't taking her papa but really how can I drive to Waipahu, go to 7/11, the ATM and then find my way to Kewalo by 515? So scratch off the first karma boost, even though he wasn't mad I still felt bad.

So I make sure to have 400$ counted and ready to pay and that sure put a smile on Russell's face that he didn't have to ask, haha again thanks for the heads up, I read to have it ready on someone's charter tips thread.

The boats a beauty. Gary and Russell met me and made sure to make me feel at home while prepping the boat, something some captains and mates will not partake in because they are in a mad scramble to get the boat in order. Being able to chat up a Hawaii fishing legend is nothing short of fascinating. Again thanks for some tips, I let him tell me how we're fishing and what works and avoided the tips and how we catch them where I'm from routine. As did the other charter members, we had two Aussies and a retired police officer from New Mexico. Not one jerk, drunk or bossy person on the boat. After sizing us up Russell asked if we were up to spending an extra 2 hours fishing due to the weather change and needing to find the fish. Of course we were all in. And we did get an extra 2+ hours of fishing and not just running.

So we hit the bait, not much working but Gary grabs 6 Macks and 2 kawa kawa. We see 3 humpbacks stroll bye, no clouds in the sky, no wind just a perfect day with some light swells. The rolling on the boat has me and a few guys a little too relaxed, or hungover for the other guys. So nap time it was while we ran to the west side of the island.

Zzzzzz wake up call! I was on rods 2 and 5 due to me buying 2 shares. I chose well becauses rod 5 was hit 3 times out of the first 5 strikes. I knew I had a mahi on but damn I forgot how much pull even a 10 lb fish can exert. Even though it came in easy that little bugger tried to hold off as long as he could but he be broke the ice and the first blood hit the deck bye 930am. This first fish was a sign of what's to come, mahi mahi schools. We trolled for about another 15 mins and then I saw two terns and asked Gary "how many birds mean fish are around" "Oh only a f....." Zzz and soon as he responded we had a double hook up, I was on the chair and the second was fought from the holder. This was a good thing because all the sudden we could see about 40+ mahi following our fish, the bite was on.

5 fish almost identical in size, some bulls and a few cows are in the cooler after we finally leave the school in the hunt for bigger fish.

After spending another hour searching for something I notice a ton of commotion in the water, boobies were dive bombing skipjack, those little tuna were jumping, splashing and doing anything they could to escape, including eating one of the monster marlin lures lol. We hooked two bait sized skipjacks and left the patch. No need to hang around, Russell saw little more than football sized jacks and maybe some shibi. As the marlin hunter he is, we were searching for bigger fish.

Well we did find a bigger fish, not what we were after but a nice fish and a conversation starting battle wound on its sail. The fish was like all mahi beautiful jumping and under water but when Gary went to gaff it he was surprised that a much bigger mahi had such little fight in it. The 20+ lb mahi had half its sail ripped off and even it's blood looked almost cloudy. Beautiful fish and I was happy to put him out of his misery. What could have caused this? Marlin striking him with his bill? Ono bite? Prop of a boat? Ill post the picture and see if you guys can tell.

So to wrap up we landed another mahi and then at 545 headed to the docks. We passed a boat that had a large Blue on that had died and sunk and the guys were just sitting and looking at the rod and had no clue how to plane it to the surface. This seemed to piss off Russell, not because we didn't catch it, because it was a big marlin being wasted. I have major respect for the fishermen in Hawaii. You all seem to show amazing respect for the ocean, something that should be adopted by all who fish.

Back at the dock we notice one thing. We were the only boat with a decent amount of fish. Russell was positive that today we were lucky and did a lot better than most boats on the water. Just like all you said, the Magic will put you on fish! Thanks again guys, you put a hard working father, escape constant doctors appointments and medical emergencies that plague our children and enjoy himself fishing for the first time in 5 years. And I also got to help provide about 20 lbs of mahi and skipjack to my in laws.

Today was a great day, ill be praying for safe and successful fishing for all bloody deckers in Hawaii this year. Tight lines and bloody decks- Phil.

2. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
  3. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
  4. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    [​IMG]

A little blood on da deck.

5. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    [​IMG]

Me looking like a doosh, so dumb I forgot my sun glasses. And someone said something funny, "Don't fall in Phil, were not good enough friends yet, I don't save ya unless we friends". Lol sounds harsh but it was funny at the time.

This fish was around 20 lbs or more. It had a huge chunk missing out its sail. No bites mark, Gary thought fishing line cut em but he wasn't sure.

6. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    [​IMG]

Any idea what took that chunk out if the mahi?

7. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Glad you had a good day! Aloha!

8. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Mahalo smudge!

9. The girlfreind

The girlfreind Newbie

Name:
    Ziggy
    Boat:
    Alii Kai
    I cannot speak for all, but your attitude ...good karma/juju I think makes all the difference in the world. Sounds like ALOHA to me !!

10. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Thanks girl friend. Hopefully I can take a little aloha with me to Texas.

11. Hij

Hij Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hijirida
    Boat:
    25 Force, PAIGE H
    Good day fishing! Lots of fun on the water and great company. In laws must have had big smiles when you showed up with the fish. Congrats!

12. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice going on the fish & da aloha! Magic has a great and deserved rep.

tight lines,

13. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    Good going Phil glad to hear you go on some fish. Russell is by far one of the best charter captains on oahu. He has away of finding fish. The fish wisperer lol.

14. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Phil, Russell, the rest of the Magic crew and the charter,

Thanks for the detailed write up, sounds like a great day, hopefully the GF wasn't too PO'd because Dad didn't get to go. As far as the missing parts on the mahi; pretty clean cut, I can't get to a predator just because it is so clean, maybe a prop cut, but it looks fresh, wouldn't think it would be worried about eating at that point. Did the Capt/crew have any views on the damage? They have seen more fish than most... Hopefully you get to enjoy the rest of your stay on Oahu.

Cheers
    Pat

15. Leapingbare

Leapingbare Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    Yellow kayak
    Been reading your post past few weeks. Glad you we able to get on some fish.

16. akunui

akunui Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
    I have been also lurking on your posts. Whenever I see Magic I know I am in the right area. I am stoked for you that you got some good oahu fishing!

17. Booya

Booya Newbie

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    35 Carolina Classic
    Like many of us we've been reading about your adventure. Love the update and success. Congrats.

18. Oahu bound

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Thanks guys! Haha yea you guys must have had a ton to read because I was on here pressing people for info all month!

Thanks Pat, I asked Gary and he said "Shit I should have asked the guy before I brained em". But he really had no thoughts other than maybe he went into someone's trolling set up and hit the line just right and it split em open. But I like your explanation, a prop cut would fit the wound just right.

Haha and you guys are right! My in laws loved the fish and were actually ok with not going. Lost on translation last week was the fact that he always got sea sick, we had two hungover guys vomiting so a third would have been too much. They just wanted the fish and I'm glad I could deliver. I was worried about how they would feel about some big Haole from NY dating their daughter, but they're ok with me. Actually they gave me a smile and two thumbs up, if I was a movie and they were Siskell and Ebert I'd be pretty damn proud of myself.

This was a bucket list type of trip. Except now I have a new bucket list.
    1. Come back during the "peak" marlin run, September and fish with Russell.
    2. Come back fishing as many times as possible!
    3. Repeat steps one and two until bucket is kicked.

19. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    wow, you really conducted yourself as a class act, kharma works, congrats on an awesome trip!!!

20. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    I like your new list