TGIF.. TARGETING PERMIT AT ESBL MID WINTER W/PICS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Reports' started by fishordie, Feb 8, 2018.

1. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Good Morning All,

Just back this week from another trip to Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge (ESBL) where my main targeted species was Big Permit. The new lodge is super comfortable with AC in all the large rooms and a Chef that is off the chart great. The Customer Service provided by Chiara and Dane Emerson, along with the entire staff, is phenomenal.. Margaritas and Cold beer were waiting at the bar, under the big palapa, every day. Eric and the gang at the Fly Shop in Redding California once again prepared me for every possible contingency well in advance of the trip.. The Fly Shop is an amazing resource for masterfully arranging to fly fish all over the world.

I left Los Angeles on January 27 and Returned February 4. I really had not been feeling great for a few months so this much needed fly fishing trip was my own, self prescribed medication. If you look at certain fishing charts, mid winter is not noted as a great time of year to Permit fish anywhere in Mexico or Belize... Of course, the makers of those charts must have never been to ESBL.. This place is beyond belief as it is a True All year Long Monster fishery for Permit, Tarpon, Snook, Triggerfish, Bone-fish, Giant Barracuda and about a dozen or two other species of finned critters. Forget worrying about Tide charts, time of year or anything else... Just book whenever you find you have a week or more open in your calendar.. Book well ahead of time as this lodge, in it's second season, is already 95% booked. Call the Fly Shop in Redding, Ca. to get more info.

The Amazing greatness about ESBL is regardless of wind conditions or directions, cloud conditions or storms, there is always a huge variety of more protected areas to fish. Most any level of angler can go into the mangroves and find clear water, light wind and a variety of species readily available..Juvenile Tarpon, Snook, Snapper, Jacks, etc. are there in numbers. Bonefish, Barracuda and Permit can lie in wait at the river mouths both in schools, singles or doubles while Triggerfish or on the Rock/Reef Piles. In these conditions having multiple fly fishing rigs setup and ready to go really helps. Located South of Ascension bay, ESBL just might be the best place on earth to get a Grand Slam or Super Grand Slam any month of the year. Unlike her larger bay further north, the governing body controlling ESB only offer a few fishing licenses required to fish this area. This means only a few boats get to fish this series of bays and inlets any week of the year. Minimal to no pressure, depending where the amazing guides opts to take you is a gift of the fishing Gawds.

AS A NOTE: EVERY GUIDE AT ESBL IS OFF THE HOOK GREAT. As good or better than you can find anywhere. And they rotate guides every day..

I only fished an hour or two in the mangroves, when the wind got really bad one afternoon and came away with all the species mentioned. However, the rest of the time I was in the open bays and shore lines targeting my favorite species, sight fishing, on a fly rod.. Permit... No doubt I struggled on some days when the winds really picked up and the cloud cover made sight seeing very, very tough but every day I had multiple shots at big Permit.. The last day we saw over a hundred Permit and cast to many.

However, these pics are from ONE DAY ONLY, Friday, February 2, 2018 where I was treated to an incredible fly fishing day by Alex. Okay, enough typing... Here are the pics. The only photos I am missing are of the bone fish on that day as I was too busy casting for other fish to pose. More pics to follow. Yes, I know, rod in the mouth pictures might be considered cheesy but I just cannot get the rigs to balance on my shoulder.. Hey, a Fisherman has to do what a Fisherman has to do. Blame the fish for my posing deficiencies.

Check on the red signs on the Co-Pilot's dash board.. No, there was no Co-Pilot on this 6 seat Cessna.... He might have stepped outside for a smoke.

Of course all fish were released, healthy and happy.... Well, healthy anyways, to fight another day.

fullsizeoutput_b0f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b10.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b01.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b07.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a91.jpeg fullsizeoutput_ab1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_b03.jpeg fullsizeoutput_adf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a9b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a9c.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    repo805, Cheech and errock_22 like this.
  2. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Always wanted to sight cast permit....or just plain catch one.

Those look like big healthy fish.

Nice work!

Bob Sands likes this.
  3. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo"
    Ok Jamie. I’m sold. We need to have a chat ASAP.
    I haven’t decided on where I’m heading next but this has definitely pegged my interest meter.

:drool:

Looks incredible!

E

Bob Sands likes this.
  4. Bob Sands

Bob Sands BOB SANDS TACKLE Advertiser

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Yo Eric,

Call me anytime... I look forward to catching up. Saltwater flats fly fishing is a gas.

Jamie

5. terryc.

terryc. Member

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    I'm diggin those triggers.