Offshore TGIF Pt Sur Bluefin 10/1

nudling

May 30, 2012
h/ca/us
Name
H
Boat Name
hobebryant
So last year, I was in HMB trolling 2 rods, 80# and 65#, and the school was big (120#+). I maneuvered away from a hooked up boat but both my lines snagged the fish-on line. It's hard to get a bite so the only right thing to do was to cut my lines, which meant that I was already under-gunned and now have even less line. I hook up at 3:30 with the 65# setup and 60# leader (Avet raptor). First time hooked up to a BFT and you could feel its strength with each tail stroke. Kept getting it within 50' under the boat but didn't know how to bring it up -- was free hand without using the rod holder. Even after watching all those Wicked episodes, the techniques apparently didn't stick and I should have pulled in the line and then reeled. Well, after many hours, it got dark and it made a run. I panicked a little and tried running it down and since it was dark, I didn't see where the line was until it pinned me -- couldn't get to the helm to stop or turn and plunk goes the line on the motor. Went home and did some hard core shopping for better gear.

No longer under-gunned, I headed out of monterey on Friday and picked up some macks. On the way there, I realized that I forgot to bring the long gaff! DIY craft project to extend the short gaff that was attached to an ugly stick rod it is. It was snottier than expected so I didn't start trolling until 10:30. There was the occasional sheep and it made it more difficult to spot the signs. Around 1, I spotted some birds under commotion on the surface. I didn't spot breezers but it felt right since dolphins didn't appear. Set out the fly-lined mack about 300' back on 80# fluoro with 100# main. As I was preparing the second bait, the reel starts singing... waited for about 15 seconds and slowly engaged the drag. I prepped the deck and then began reeling. Deep color came about 12 minutes later and it made a couple of short runs before meeting my craft project. 😅 Stuck the other gaff and brought her in.

I hope that they're still around for a couple of weeks. It would be nice for us norcal guys to have a little more time to hone our skills.

nudling

May 30, 2012
h/ca/us
Name
H
Boat Name
hobebryant
Just an update on this... been spending too much time on-the-water-training the past few months.

Got a hookup right off the bat near the weather buoy on an 8oz fly lined. Was bringing up the DR at 100' and the bait was missing. The first came in fairly easily.

Reset and the DR rod at 100' went off. This one took more effort and didn't want to EOL so it took 4-5 petting-length attempts to finally bring stainless steel to gill plate.