I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    always bigger in Texas.

A Texas fisherman has broken state records with his impressive bluefin tuna catch, weighing in at a whopping 876 pounds and 121 inches long.

Troy Lancaster, a 50-year-old angler from Port Aransas, Texas, snagged the massive fish back in mid-April, according to a report from The Houston Chronicle. After spending nine hours trying to net the fish and several more weeks waiting on official state analysis, The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has confirmed that it was the largest tuna fish caught in the state.

"When the fish got on the deck of the boat, it was like killing a big trophy deer," Lancaster told the outlet. "There was absolutely no ground shrinkage."

1620333661423.png

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    "Net the fish"? Would love to see pics of the meat! "Wicked tuna" I'll give you $9.00 a pound! Would love to hear more details-a true beast!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    "Net the fish"? Would love to see pics of the meat! "Wicked tuna" I'll give you $9.00 a pound! Would love to hear more details-a true beast!
    Just passing on some new's, I saw.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I thought keeping BFT in the Gulf of Mexico was prohibited to protect spawning fish. Please correct me if this is not true!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    NOT SO FAST That's a big Bluefin, but NETTED? LOL
    Gonna need A LOT OF POPCORN to hear this one

Biggest Bluefin Ever Caught on Rod and Reel is
    Newport Beach's Ken Fraser off Nova Scotia in 1979. 1496lbs
    standup with a fighting belt/harness rig...amongst several commercial tuna boats hooked up/fishing.
    Bluefin_Tuna_World_Record_1,496_lbs.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I thought keeping BFT in the Gulf of Mexico was prohibited to protect spawning fish. Please correct me if this is not true!
    Copied from Newsweek article I read yesterday.

"Congratulations on that monster, that would make Wicked Tuna jealous," one man commented. One even joked that he himself needs to make a trip out to Texas to catch a fish like Lancaster.

Several even hinted what a challenge it must have been to catch the fish given federal laws preventing tuna fishing in the Gulf. According to KXXV, however, accidental tuna catches reported within 24 hours, like Lancaster's, are allowed so long as the fisherman holds a valid trophy-class fish permit.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS

standup with a fighting belt/harness rig...amongst several commercial tuna boats hooked up/fishing.
    View attachment 1277582
    They said state record for Texas not nova Scotia

Tunahead
    Tunahead
    Fully aware he said that....but they're a LOT
    bigger in Nova Scotia, than Texas FYI. I SAID AND SHOWED THE BIGGEST BLUEFIN EVER CAUGHT ON ROD AND REEL STAND UP. NOT ROD IN HOLDER. LOL
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Gonna need A LOT OF POPCORN to hear this one

View attachment 1277582
    How can you stand up fishing with a belt and harness when that rod is designed for a chair, Am I missing something that's not s stand up rod or a rail rod??? If true that had to be pretty uncomfortable, Even if you could do it with that rod he's holding. I would tend to believe that rod inside a gimbal belt would be point toward the deck????

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    How can you stand up fishing with a belt and harness when that rod is designed for a chair, Am I missing something that's not s stand up rod or a rail rod??? If true that had to be pretty uncomfortable, Even if you could do it with that rod he's holding. I would tend to believe that rod inside a gimbal belt would be point toward the deck????
    NICE SPOT!
    Could be...never noticed at the bottom. Some records post different versions on Google. Only noted one big Bluefin from same. Wonder if the 9hr Texas fish was
    rod in holder, or electric reel? Plus "netting" it? Fishy LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0