Texas Tuna Questions

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by Mark Duncan, Jul 26, 2018.

1. newell doctor

newell doctor Surf for life

Name:
    jerry powers
    Boat:
    one with a good captain
    Ok thanks , who all you talking about ? I have not seen most guys in many yrs , I ran into Troy Gross X wife last yr at HEB and she said he has not been doing good , , I've not fished in yrs but am getting the inch again and maybe wrap some rods this winter I have some killer Lami graphite GSB blanks ! . Take care

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    I will now use a Phenix 809XHJ paired with a Shimano Tranx 500 HG w/ 80LB solid braid for throwing poppers. Just fished this in Baja last week, it was sweet. I use either a Calstar 700H or MH with an Avet JX Raptor 2 speed for fishing the Frenzy Fliers. I will use a Calstar 770XH and an Avet HX Rapptor 2 speed for flatfalls and other vertical jigging duty.

3. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Tight lines! After my last trip I decided to add a Tanacom 1000 for deep drops.

I will also added a major craft crosstage and Okuma metaloid for slow pitch.

I put an 18k stella on my mogi Exploder for jigging and either the Spheros 10k or Stella 18K on my Okuma.

4. Mark Duncan

Mark Duncan Newbie

Name:
    Mark Duncan
    Boat:
    Any that will get me there
    I met Tim and Ray a week ago. Troy was in the hospital, and having some kind of operation on his hand, to stop an infection as a result of the diabetes.

Scratch that itch. Give me a call sometime. I'm staying in Bacliff, now. My phone number is 713-894-2418.

5. tunasquid

tunasquid Newbie

Name:
    james the fisherman
    Boat:
    80 ft crew boat
    There's so many different choices of what you can nring, and the sky's the limit for what you can spend.

But basically , for Texas floater trips, you need 3 setups.:
    1. A jigging rod for catching blackfin and the of asional yellowfin vertical jigging. The key here is to have a lightweight setup with a fast retrieve reel loaded with braid. I prefer Avet xml 2speeds, Avet of 2 speeds, or accurate 500-600 series 2 speeds paired with a light weight rod that is relatively short (5.5-6.5ft). My personal favorite is the Seeker Hercules blank, but any lightweight, fairly short rod with some backbone (regardless) of action will work. Shimano trevallas are very popular.

2. A rod to cast topwaters and freelined live flying fish. I personally double dip with the. Same rod I jig with, as I fish almost everything with straight braid with or without a 2-3 ft flouro topshot, and can cast a conventional reel almost as far as o can a spinner. However, a lot of people like a bit longer rod (6.5-7.5ft) with a bit faster action. MOST people refuse to educate their thumbs, and opt to also use a high dollar spinning reel for this as well. That's fine, for this aplication, since most of our floater YFT through out the year are relatively small (30-80lb and they TYPICALLY don't fight very hard at night. However, if you hook into a big girl or hookup right at dawn and your fight goes into daylight, you'll be wishing you had spent more time learning to cast a 2speed conventional.

The third setup you are going to "need" (most of the better party boats have quite a few they'll let you use if you know how to ask) is a larger 2speed conventional reel on a short (5-6ft) stout rod. This is your chunking and trolling setup. You want this reel to have some power and pretty big capacity for heavier braid. An Avet Hxw is kinda the bottom of the size spectrum, and a Penn 70vs is kinda the biggest you want to mess with, so you don't fight more reel than fish. I personally like an Avet Exw30/2 on a Calstar Graphiter loaded with 800ish yards of 150# solid powerpro, and for chunking I splice on a 10ft topshot of 100-130 flouro tied to a 9/0 clblacl circle hook. When you hook a chunk fish (TYPICALLY bigger than lure fish) or pick up a yft on the troll during the daytime, it's nice to have the power to put the heat on them to land them quicker, and more successfully.

Of course, the boat you are on may do some other types of bottom fishing etc during the daytime, you might want another setup for, but you can definitely cover all your bases with these 3 setups.

As far as lures: you can also spend an absolute ton of money if you want... but there are only a few things you NEED:

Diamond jigs that either glow or shine. You need alot, because the cudas get worse every year. I bring 5 4oz, 12 6oz, 3 8oz, 2 10 oz, then usually 1 or 2 obnoxiously huge ones for just in case, but 6oz is my bread asnd butter. If the blackfin are there, you will get bit every drop, weather you notice it or not. Don't waste all or any of your emerge "jigging" at any certain depth... drop your jig (freespooling as fast as you can) until it gets bit, your line is mored than 45 degrees out from the bpat, or you've got so much line out you wouldn't want to fight anything anyway. If you dontg getg bit, put your foregrip on thed handrail and burn it back to the boat as fast as you can. About 75% of bites are on the drop, 15 %of bites are on the fast retrisve, and 10% of bites are by people standing there jigging there life away at a certain depth or not. Protip: you get mored hits upcurrent than down, simply cast a s far as you can and begin your retrieve before your line is under the boat.

There are 3 main types of lures the yellowfin like as far as casting gear goes: flyers, poppers, and swimbaits. Bring a half 6-12 rubber flying fish (buy the brands that float if you can" get rid of whatever jigging if any came with it and rig it with 80#flouro and an Owner or VMC 4x 4/0 treble. Bring 2 or 3 big poppers: pink and white, and black and purple both are hot colors. And finally bring 6-12 hard body swimbaits of your choice. The popular type (both for fish and fishermen) changes every 2-3 year, but for the past few years the Halco 130 has been consistently on fire, especially in purple/silver and blue/silver.

You can pretty much bring anythingv else you want to try, but this is all you need for the tuna part of the trip, of course make sure to bring hooks and flouro, especially if you have a preference. But all the boats in this area will have adequate hooks and flouro if you are without.

Good luck, have fun!

esgeo likes this.
  6. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Mark did you ever get setup on 360? I am trying to work a spring 36 or 56 hour trip with the new Buccaneer. If you want to go on that, PM me here so I can get you on board!

7. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    +1. Conventional version of my old post. I use spinners for everything because I use mine for jigging and popping bluefin on the east coast.

8. Mark Duncan

Mark Duncan Newbie

Name:
    Mark Duncan
    Boat:
    I'm not sure what's going on with that 360 tuna site. I have an account. It shows an active account when I log in. And yet it tells me my account does not have permission to post or view pictures or do things like that. I've emailed them so many times I'm blue in the face.

I would definitely want to go on that. I will p.m. you.

9. Mark Duncan

Mark Duncan Newbie

Name:
    Mark Duncan
    Boat:
    Thank you for the detailed response. The tips on working the bait, I particularly appreciate.

I have put together a mix of conventional and spinning outfits. I built a pair of 6-foot 150g jigging rods, 1 conventional one spinning. I built a 6-foot 325g jigging Rod with an Avett HX on it. I also built to a seven and a half foot 60 to 100 pound spinning rod for casting poppers and flying fish. It has a Shimano Saragosa 20K on it loaded with 80lb braid. I also have a pair of Newell 454s that I'm in the process of rebuilding with smooth drag washers. I'll probably load them with 65 lb braid and put them on a pair of 60 lb stand up tuna sticks I have.

10. BloodyL

BloodyL Throwing everything I got

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    The Beach
    Didn't the guy ran the 360 site pass away?

11. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    I used to use Newell’s but they are pretty wide for jigging but would be fine for chunking. I have used Talicas and recommend them or other narrow reels for jigging. I try to get 300 yards of 65 lb braid on the reel so can usually get by with a 10k spinning reel and a small conventional reel. Sounds like you have all the right stuff.

12. Mark Duncan

Mark Duncan Newbie

Name:
    Mark Duncan
    Boat:
    I was looking at using the Newells more for throwing chunks, or bottom fishing. I have a pair of 6 foot, 60 pound stand up tuna sticks, that I was going to put the newells on.

13. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    They are fine for that!

14. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!