Testing: Venice Report from last Weekend...

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Well, my nicely worded report just got deleted thanks to myslow-a** Cox internet connection (word to the wise, compose the report in WordDocs, THEN post). THat said, we caught fish:

Enjoying some crawfish boil before leaving on my friendsboat:

Rolling out of the harbor

We hit the rigs for spotty Amberjack action with only 3caught between 25-40 pounds. Here is Dave pulling on one:

Water from the Mississippi had turned the surface of theGulf into a muddy river. The conditions underneath were still decent, but biteswere hard to come by. We managed a small Kingfish, a few Blackfin, Skipjack,but Petey pulled one out of the hat with a nice 60 pounder.

We headed back in, I was having a real slow day, but hey,its fishing (I got three cows my last offshore trip, so no real heartbreak).But as we closed into the pass back into Venice, we saw hundreds of birdsworking these schools of breaking fish and checked them out. They were hundredsof Jack Crevelles busting mullet, with Big bull reds underneath them. It wasWIDE open, we catching Cravelle left and right. I got 3-4 cravelle and a Red (all released).

I took the king fish fillet and made myself some pan grilledKing with Thai Ginger Lime Chili Salsa and a side of rice. Good stuff! I cantwait till the next trip!

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
OK, give up the recipe for the thai ginger chili lime salsa. :) Yum!

brantc

Ranchero
May 15, 2004
crown point
Name
Brant
Boat
whichever one will have me
There's a bunch of good capt's on the board here....do a search and you'll find one.

Good luck and make sure to report back....Venice is awesome.

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
Hey Dave, Thanks for the report. Them some big ass jacks and a heck of a nice red. Great way to end the trip.
OK, who was casting the popper on the Trinidad. Casting poppers on conventional is not for everyone. Excellent. I got the 16A, Great reel for it and hope you got some on top..........Mike

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Good eyes, and that is MY Trinidad with the popper! :rofl:

I was really impressed with the swimming action with the Frenzy Flyer, but I have yet to throw it on busting Tuna. Im not sure even how to chug it, but Im told just "burn it back." I used it on the Reds and Crevelle, but fished diamond jigs (that popper would have gotten destroyed though, the fish were THICK!). The reel did great, real smooth.

Hey Dave, Thanks for the report. Them some big ass jacks and a heck of a nice red. Great way to end the trip.
OK, who was casting the popper on the Trinidad. Casting poppers on conventional is not for everyone. Excellent. I got the 16A, Great reel for it and hope you got some on top..........Mike