jgf

Almost A Member
Feb 16, 2013
Upland CA
Name
Jason
Boat Name
Cabo 216
Anyone use one on their jigstick? Was thinking of putting one on a 9 footer and spooling with 40lb mono. Also what size would be best, the 10 or 12?

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
17' montauk "Anger Management"
i just got a 5, got 300 yards of 65# pro spec with a small 30/40 topper for the “light” jigs

Last edited:
Reactions: Swampchicken
Upvote 0

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
San Diego
Name
Richard
Boat Name
If I only...
I have the 12 (the 10 was too narrow for my fat thumb) paired with a United Composites CE 900 Monster. I will say that the reel added 15 to 20 yards to my casts when compared to my old TLD 20/40 star or my lexa 400. I have 65# braid backing with 80 yds. of 40# mono top shot.

Upvote 0

Mark Riv

Jan 20, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mark
Boat Name
Minnow
I have the 12 (the 10 was too narrow for my fat thumb) paired with a United Composites CE 900 Monster. I will say that the reel added 15 to 20 yards to my casts when compared to my old TLD 20/40 star or my lexa 400. I have 65# braid backing with 80 yds. of 40# mono top shot.
12 loaded with #80 braid.

Reactions: Swampchicken
Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat Name
American Angler
I also have the 10s and 12s. Loaded with 80# Pro Spec for jig slinging. 10 holds approx. 350# and add another 90 or so for the 12. Great reels. Caught everything from yellowtail to tuna to wahoo on them. Got a 60# bft on 25# using the 5 last season. Never skipped a beat.

Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    I have 2 12's. One has 50lb braid backing to 40lb mono top shot & the other 65lb braid backing to 50lb mono top shot. I like the lighter line configuration much more. More yardage! Don't need to go heavier because-
    1) You need yardage for those big runs.
    2) If the line gets caught on something you need to break it.
    3) Unless you go all 65lb or 80lb braid the thinner diameter line casts smoother & goes farther then thicker diameter line. You could go all 40/50lb braid but that's EXPENSIVE. My 12's cast far for it's size & are extremely smooth. I tried several types of casting model rods & found the longer 12ft rods great for distance. I use the Longitude & Solaris. I found the Solaris to have a "softer" feel casting & a heavy duty type of finesse rod while the Longitude is a casting monster that you can load up on & really put yourself behind.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    update:

i finally wetted my Tesoro 5 yesterday. its on a old sabre 8'10" 20-40 jigstick. i didnt hook anything yet.

i backlashed it on the first cast and the jig is 1/2 way to catalina.... after picking the backlash out, i retied another 3' top shot, same light Tady AA. biggest thing i noticed is less effort into throwing the jig, this may be a rod thing but its way easier.

i didnt get many backlashes after the first one, if i did they were shallow. i think its the tension of the spectra on the spool could be un-uniform.

thanks okuma.

Reactions: MadHatches
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    none
    How is the drag on the 5 vs the 10 when fighting a decent fish? Is it a noticeable difference? By that I am asking if the 5 feels like a less powerful reel than the 10....or does it just feel lighter and smaller? Thanks
    Jeff

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    How is the drag on the 5 vs the 10 when fighting a decent fish? Is it a noticeable difference? By that I am asking if the 5 feels like a less powerful reel than the 10....or does it just feel lighter and smaller? Thanks
    Jeff

Different class of reels. But I do have numerous bft from 50-60# on the 5s using 25#. If that isn't a testament to its fishability I wouldn't know what would be.

Reactions: Chum_slicker
    Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    none
    Hey Bill;
    Thanks for your comments on this reel. Are you using it primarily as a live bait set up or do you throw iron etc. with it?
    What rod do you have it on?
    Thanks, Jeff

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    American Angler
    Hey Bill;
    Thanks for your comments on this reel. Are you using it primarily as a live bait set up or do you throw iron etc. with it?
    What rod do you have it on?
    Thanks, Jeff

The 5 I would primarily rely on as a live bait reel. 20-30# is its wheelhouse imho. Sure you could do some light jig stuff like crocodile and what not but not serious surface iron stuff.
    The 10 and 12 are some serious jig reels. I use them mainly as my surface iron reels but also use for yoyo/raiders and wahoo bombs.
    Caught everything from grouper to wahoo using them as my main surface iron reel. Yellowtail and various species of tuna would be included in that. In fact, down on the ridge on anchor one time I caught yellowtail, wahoo, jack crevalle, black skipjack and oceanic skipjack all on the same set. Pretty amazing. Reels are well used and still have not service them including multiple trips to BoLA where they fished hard 5 days in a row with the surface iron.

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    none
    Bill thanks again for your reply. This kind of insight is very helpful.
    As far as the 5 goes are you using it with 50# braid and a topshot ? Or straight mono? I was thinking of it as a potential double duty reel......as a live bait reel and as a slow pitch jigging reel. My thought was to load it with a good quality 40# braid and then top shot it to match the use.
    Jeff

Upvote 0