Tern 300 Review

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by benwah22, Mar 19, 2019.

1. benwah22

benwah22 Member

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    A lot of people are asking for reviews of this reel. Full disclosure before I start: I'm on Accurate's pro team. That being said, I've got no financial stake in this, and my main goal is to a realistic of a review based on my personal experience with the reel in the Dry Tortugas in Florida.

Setup:
    Accurate Tern 300 (Right-Handed) spooled with Daiwa J-Braid, 8 strand, 30lb, approximately 350 yards
    95mm long arm, Accurate ball-knob
    Temple Reef Gravitate G2 (slow-pitch jigging rod)
    Jigs between 200g and 270g

Appearance:
    Mine is Silver/Black
    Approximately same height as a Valiant 300, and similar spool width
    Left side plate is very similar to the Valiant. It's not exact, but it's approximately the same specs.
    Right side of side plate with gear box is different than Valiant series.
    - Gear box is larger than Valiant, but still smaller than BX series

- Star is reminiscent of the Ocea 2000/Trinidad 16N in shape and function. Solid clicks forward and reverse. No issue setting or maintaining drag levels

- Very audible clicker. I personally prefer just backing my drag down to pull line off, but if you're a clicker person, there's no doubt you'll hear it

- Somewhat bulbous right side plate next to handle. This is a personal preference thing. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm not against it either. It's required for manufacturing tolerances.

- Clutch engage: It requires more firm pressure to engage and disengage. The benefits of this are that you do not run the risk of engaging the spool when casting. Very important. It takes maybe a few more lbs pressure to open the bail. Once you use it for about 10 minutes it's almost not noticeable. I liked that it felt more secure when opening and closing, and I did it a lot.

Feel:
    If you are expecting it to feel like a BX series or Valiant, it does not. Why? Because it's a totally different reel. The closest feel when turning the handle that I can liken it to i a Talica, in how it has almost this hollow feeling when the spool turns. Out of the box the reel was pretty smooth, but as with other Accurate reels, they require some break in. The reel smoothed out once I caught a few fish on it. Slightly heavier than a Valiant 300, but much, much lighter than the BX series. You'd have no problem fishing the reel all day. It palms well and had good balance.

Performance:
    I grabbed this set up when we ran into some Amberjacks that were quick to hit a jig in about 90 feet of water. I figured they would give a very good idea of where the reel stood performance-wise. I caught 6 AJ's between 15-20lbs, with one double header on the jig of two 20lbers on the same jig. The handle turns are very smooth, and there is zero front or back play with the handle. I did not use a drag scale, but I had it set at about 14lbs based on my experience. Drag was smooth and not jerky. All of the fish took several runs with the strongest being the double header. The Tern put the brakes on them well, and with a little thumbing I was able to turn the fish without too much trouble. I did not crank the drag all the way down as it was not needed - so the reel had a good amount still in the tank if necessary. Casting was objectively really, really good. Very smooth casting, and noticeably further than my lever drag reels. I think this reel would be very good for all levels of snapper fishing, and most bottom species up to about 40-50lbs. Pelagic fish would not be an issue at all with this reel.

Overall:
    I was very pleased and it was a very fun/capable reel in a great little package. I think I'm still more of a lever drag guy, but I really enjoy having this other option at my disposal. It's important to understand what you're purchasing - and if you're looking for a sub-$300 star drag reel, I'm genuinely not sure why you would look elsewhere unless there are specific features such as auto-engage that are make or break for you. I don't think there's anything in the category that will have similar performance, or even remotely close to the power of this reel. I would say that the stock handle is prohibitively short if you're going to be using the reel for jigging, but, then again, I prefer an extended arm. That may be personal preference. Getting the long arm for it shouldn't be too much trouble. I was very pleasantly surprised with the smoothness of the drag and overall power of this little guy. Like, actually very pleasantly surprised, especially on the double header. The wildcard is going to be longevity as I've really only had it on the water for about 12 hours but I did beat on it pretty good. I don't see any reason why the reel shouldn't last, but, if not, they come with a 2 year free maintenance plan. I think it will be a good reel up to about 300ft of water based on line capacity as stated above. Overall, you're going to get good value as it has very good stopping power at a very reasonable price.

Wildman, Cubeye, yessokk and 5 others like this.
  2. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks.

benwah22 likes this.
  3. tugasangler

tugasangler Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    Great post. Hope to see some positive updates maybe with handle ungrades or more big fish caught.

benwah22 likes this.
  4. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Great review, well detailed and objective.
    The bulbous look has been redesigned.
    That change was made very quickly. Most dealers still have the original fat boy look. Here is the new redesign.
    Personally like the reel a lot an excellent value.
    Walt

The new style.

IMG_0488.JPG

The original style. IMG_0492.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    tugasangler likes this.
  5. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    Thanks for the writeup Benny. 14#'s of drag on 30# J-braid is pretty stiff...

I've been looking at the Terns since they first came out, but the initial run(s) seemed to still be working out the kinks. Subjective "smoothness" of turning the handle was nowhere near the Trinidad/Ocea reels, and I really like the auto-engage feature for slow pitching. Almost all of the reels I played with also had what seemed to be an uneven milling and/or anodization of the spool sidewalls - spinning it in freespool revealed a "waviness" that isn't present in any other reels that I've experienced.

Hopefully they're smoothing out these issues - I wasn't aware of the sideplate refinement. I'll keep an eye out for it in the next restock...

benwah22 likes this.
  6. benwah22

benwah22 Member

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Thanks DannyNoonan

The "uneven" milling is almost identical to the Valiant series. I have no issue with it, but everyone has different tolerances for what they want in a product - so I can respect someone's personal choice there.

As for the subjective "smoothness" you've mentioned, I'll be the first to tell you that out of the box, they're not as smooth as a Trinidad/Ocea. The primary reason for this is because Accurate uses a much harder material for their gears, and requires some break in time in the gearing. There are some pro-anglers in Japan that have started using Accurates because of the significant power they bring to the table, and to speed the initial break in, they are putting the reels on a line-winding machine and just spinning the handle for 15-20 minutes, working over the gears. I know that once I fish my Accurates, they smooth out just fine. That being said, even if they didn't, I'll take a hair less smoothness in exchange for USA made and significantly more drag any day.

And yeah, I have my drag set pretty high for light line. One factor that allows this is the shock absorption that the rod allows. Slow pitch rods load up pretty well and take a good amount of the initial brunt off the strike. Also, 30lb J-braid consistently breaks at about 43lbs, so a 14lb drag setting is only marginally above the 30% rule of drag to breaking strength ratio. Seems to work for me.

7. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Kudos for the Review BEN. You’re theMAN!

benwah22 likes this.
  8. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    Thanks for the review. I’ll be honest though, I would rather see a detailed report like yours from someone that is not on Accurate’s Pro Team.

9. benwah22

benwah22 Member

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Which is why I gave a disclaimer, advised my affiliation with the company, and then provided a review of the product. I think you can see by the report that it's about as unbiased as possible.

I very much welcome other anglers to do the same, as customer feedback is critical to improving the product, good or bad.

dh515, Team Sency and rexor_rn like this.
  10. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    It seemed like a commercial, as everything you said was positive. That being said, maybe there are no negatives to this reel, as Accurate makes great reels. I have the Tern 500 and haven’t had any negative issues yet, but really haven’t pulled on any big fish yet. I’m sure it will be fine though, just like all my other Accurate reels.

11. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Is this an accurate info or just the angle in the picture?....I don’t mind though as i got my Tern in Black for stealth reason :-)

3814FEE4-DEBA-4869-85A5-A29C3E6B2587.jpeg 0AC09605-26C1-4BE1-992E-13D731AF435F.jpeg

12. yessokk

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Mr. Ben's review is as unbiased as it gets. He is not going to jeperdise his personal integrity for some fishing gear manufacture. His review mirrors several others I have read. The only aspect that needs additional consideration would be the drag output. The Tern claims 30+ lbs of drag. Guys are having difficulty matching those claims. But again drags need some break in to achieve max output. Time will tell if this is a real issue or not. But cannot think of any situation where using the Tern you would require more then
    20-25 lbs of drag. Believe me 25 lbs is a tough customer.

Mr. Mangingisda,
    Regarding the photo.... no photo shop no angle they did infact change the profile of the crank side end plate.

Walt

rexor_rn and benwah22 like this.
  13. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Thanks lets wait for Will..pezgallo2 to chime in. X2 on BEN!

14. yessokk

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    The Tern has an optional longer handle available. Can anyone explain the advantage of using a longer handle? Thought at first it was just a cranking torque assist. But there appears to be more to it.
    Walt

15. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Thanks for the review, Ben. There appears to be a tad bit of misinformation here that I will clear up regarding the side plate. Yes, there are two sideplates. The first had the bearing outside the sideplate, which was then moved inside the side plate. This did "slim" down the sideplate and took away some of the round shape. However, it was a small adjustment that really cannot be identified without removing the spool tension knob and looking inside. The photo indicated at the "new" version is actually the first finished Tern ever photographed, so it will have the old sideplate. The photo indicated "old" style, is likely the new style just by remembering when we took that photo, but without having the reel in hand it is hard to say. Both sideplates function properly, so do not be concerned about having the older version. Some larger fish are starting to come on the Tern, as the El Gato Dos guys got a yellowfin around 65 pounds on the TX-500 in the fall! For those that have a Tern, post up your photos when you start using it, we'd love to see them.

Pier Rat likes this.
  16. JRubino

JRubino Newbie

Name:
    Joe Rubino
    Boat:
    yours
    I took my 400 out for the first time this Saturday and was thinking the same thing. Super smooth out of the box, plenty of power and as fast as it needs to be, but locked down doesn't seem like 30lbs of drag.

17. benwah22

benwah22 Member

Name:
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat:
    Whatever one I'm on.
    A lot of people don't realize exactly what 30lbs of drag feels like. It's A LOT. I haven't measured mine with a scale when fully locked, but I know when I did lock it down, I could not pull off line using my hand without putting a glove on to protect my hand

18. JRubino

JRubino Newbie

Name:
    Joe Rubino
    Boat:
    yours
    Mine is brand new, may be a little stiff still. Maybe it wasn’t locked fully down. I was pulling on flouro and it definitely wasn’t coming easy, but it was coming easier than 30lbs should. Either way, plenty of drag for what I’m using it for. Amazing what a little reel the size of a business card can do.

benwah22 likes this.
  19. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Your right and funny how some people are locked in on the 30lb drag for these reels which you usually spooled with 30-65 lb braid....so whats your 30lb drag for and do you really need it for these reels?

20. JRubino

JRubino Newbie

Name:
    Joe Rubino
    Boat:
    yours
    Not for nothing, I originally spooled my 400 with 50lb power pro before I got my Slow pitch rod for it. Spooled 430 yards with about 20 yards of mono back and definitely could have put more on. Holds a ridiculous amount of line for such a compact reel.