Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Any real word experience with the Terez/Tallus/Trevala in the 80-200# rating? I’ve used a 65-200# on bluefin in the 70-99lb class and did decent. Wondering how the 6’6” model might do for flatfalling and those larger San Clemente fish?

And, as always, thanks.

Upvote 0

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat Name
Boat
The ratings on all of those models are laughable. I have no idea how Shimano came up with them. I love my parabolic 30-80# Trevala for fishing 3-6oz jigs for rockfish, but I would certainly never use it offshore let alone for big bluefin. Those inflated rod ratings are a "Powerpro" rating which makes no sense, especially considering most people fish leaders. Terez's are super soft too, and I don't really like the Tallus's so I can't tell you too much on those. In that price range a lot of guys talk about the Okuma PCH rods, so maybe take a look at those.

Reactions: Jescoto40
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
The ratings on all of those models are laughable. I have no idea how Shimano came up with them. I love my parabolic 30-80# Trevala for fishing 3-6oz jigs for rockfish, but I would certainly never use it offshore let alone for big bluefin. Those inflated rod ratings are a "Powerpro" rating which makes no sense, especially considering most people fish leaders. Terez's are super soft too, and I don't really like the Tallus's so I can't tell you too much on those. In that price range a lot of guys talk about the Okuma PCH rods, so maybe take a look at those.

I appreciate it. The Terez I used a couple of years ago (a 2015 edition) seemed solid, but definitely strained when the tuna were deep under the boat. Straight up and down, they didn’t fold, but I never quite had full confidence it wouldn’t.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat Name
Royal Star
End game might be a problem!

Upvote 0

Jerzeerob

Jul 29, 2021
Chino Hills
Name
Robert Scott
Boat Name
Tuna man jr
Nighttime jig bite drifting tanner bank. Initial run took 300yards of 65lb braid -200lb crimped mono . About 14 lbs of drag with the terez at 40 degree angle. Reel was an old accurate single speed 665h with an unknown service record . Some say I got lucky . Few anglers watching me almost fainted when they saw me loosen the drag pressure lever after the first 200 yards came off the reel. Cant wait to go back with the same reel freshly serviced

FE5C6029-4615-4DF5-88BF-20F20E5FC0FE.jpeg

B3F47F86-7FF6-4BFD-AC9C-6D2276AF745A.png

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congrats on a great fish! I haven't taken one that big on my own Terez TRZ72 2XH rated 65-200, but I love to use that rod with a good spinner (Spheros 20K) and anything up to a hundred pounds is a Dead Fish Swimming in my mind.

I also have, use and like a Tallus and a Teramar. I think that Shimano makes some fine rods. I also have five other brands that do well for me. They all have different actions, and are fine for what they are intended to do. Sometimes a softer action is what you need to move the jig right.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    A friend hooked a larger model BFT with a 40-80# rated Shimano Terez, no bueno. No lift, no recoil, rod was bottomed out the entire fight. A long time later after the hook pulled, without ever getting color, I tested the spine; less than my 30# UC Tilefish Jr. I have no experience with the 80-200# model you reference; I would certainly want to put it under load before purchase. And, FWIW, I think the longer sticks make it easier to safely work big fish during the end game.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I don't think for a minute that ANY spinning rod rated "80-200" is a good choice to deliberately target fish over a hundred pounds. The Terez has a softer action by design, and does an excellent job of helping put the right action into jigs that are being swept upwards and then unloaded so that they flutter for a moment before resuming the upward movement. I haven't connected with a tuna over fifty pounds while using mine, but it fought very well in that weight class. When the captain comes on the speaker and tells us that we should break out the heavy gear, the biggies are coming under the boat, I don't reach for my spinning rig.

But 90% of the time, the tuna are schoolies from 20# to 50# and are just right.

Upvote 0

Mandaragat

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    Texas
    Name
    Mark
    Boat Name
    None
    To make the rod stronger, move 1 decimal place to the left to make it 6.5 - 20.0lbs and voila!, it’s the strongest rod you own at that rating!

For me, I prefer rating based on max drag at a specified angle like some of Japanese made rods.

Upvote 0